Hide
2 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Augmenting Letnev rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
take eacy
msg tools
As you can see from the well-done stats that have been recently put up (listed at bottom), Letnev suffers a bit in the 5 & 6 player games. How do you guys feel about buffing Letnev?

My proposition is to let Letnev get 1 more traitor card mid-game (say turn 5); this can be done similarly to the other players' traitor cards. Letnev can see 4 and pick 1, or maybe to reduce the power of the ability, I think picking 1 out of 2-3 may be better.

My opinion is that Letnev is strongly early game and can fall off later in the game. This would help augment him later in the game and keep the game alliances dynamic. Thematically, in the Dune world, it would be like a traitor approaches the Harkonnen (the Letnev in Dune) in the middle of the war, and the Harkonnen can choose to help the traitor that he would think is most profitable

I was inspired by the Augmenting Federation of Sol post and would think it would be interesting to add both the suggestions for 5&6p games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20017104#20017104
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh.

I think the game really is fine as is. To absolutely understand the balance and feel anything wrong with the game, you'd have to play the game an absurd amount of times with 6 players and preferably with the same players so that results are due to each race playing optimally, rather than the blunders of novice players.

Basically, for 99.999999999999% of Rex players out there, the game simply isn't played enough for players to "feel" something wrong with it. As such, it's best to play it to the point where they can sense what is wrong.

And if Hacan is seen to be the strongest player, players can group think and focus their attacks on him... perhaps in a 3v3 game, one team of 3 can royally screw Hacan over by attacking all of his areas. It's sort of how in Cosmic Encounter, some powers are completely overpowered, but through game diplomacy, things even out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls