Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG Star Realms League!
This thread is for the eleventh season of play, Platinum Tier.
Following are the league rules:

Every player should subscribe not only to their own divisional thread, but also to the main discussion thread. Going forward, this is the only place that I will post notification about upcoming seasons.

Please respect the preferences of the players in your division, if at all possible, for playing with the Gambits expansion. The divisions have been formulated as much as possible to group preferences together. (Though the Platinum Tier is a notable exception.). (For more details, see the Division Structure section below.)

NEW RULES FOR SEASON 11

- If any player fails to post in this thread before the start of round 3, that player will be replaced (unless I have received prior notification).

- If your opponent has posted the result of your match before you've had a chance to, thumb that post.

- When posting the pairings for the final round, I always ask whether players intend to continue playing in the league. Beginning with this season, this will be the only time I ask, so make sure you respond.

- A new system of tiebreakers for promotion and relegation is being instituted on a trial basis for this season. In short, there will generally be no playoff. For more details, see the first post of the main discussion thread.

- A new system for the Tier Championships is being instituted on a trial basis for this season. In short, only the division winners will qualify. For more details, see the section on Tier Championships (below).

ROUND STRUCTURE

- A round begins when the standings for the round just finished are posted along with the pairings for the next round. (For the first round, the round begins with this post.)

- The maximum duration of a round is 72 hours (rounded to the next morning, CDT). Of course, matches that are not completed within the 72-hour timeframe will still count once they are completed.

- Each round will be played discretely. In other words, players will not generally "play ahead" by playing matches against divisional opponents in quick succession (unless they have notified me of an absence).

- In this league, "match" is defined as "one game against an opponent."

DIVISION STRUCTURE

- The duration of the season is 11 rounds, as each player will play each other player in the division once.

- Standings will be posted upon the conclusion of each round.

- Standings are determined by a player's record of wins and losses.

- The columns you will see in the standings are as follows:

W - wins
L - losses
Pct - winning percentage (wins divided by games played)
Gambits - the player's preference for playing with Gambits: (A)ll, (G)ambits, (S)hips and bases, (N)one, (N)o (P)reference

- If a division has an assigned type (for example, "Type S"), then all games should generally be played as that type.

- If a division does not have an assigned type, players should try to come to a mutual understanding. If that is not possible due to player's insistence on their preference, the game will be played according to whichever player has the "lower" preference. In this context, A is highest, followed by S, then N.

LEAGUE STRUCTURE

- The league is divided into five tiers: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Iron.

- The tiers are arranged in a pyramidal structure, with a different number of divisions in each tier, as follows:

Platinum - 1 division
Gold - 2 divisions
Silver - 3 divisions
Bronze - 4 divisions
Iron - 5 divisions

- The top 2 players in every division but the Platinum Tier will be promoted. In other words, if they wish to play in the next season, they will be placed in the next higher tier. (Exceptions: In the Bronze Tier, the third-place finisher with the best record among the four divisions will also be promoted as a wild card, and in the Iron Tier the two best records from among the five divisions will be in contention for the wild card.)

- The bottom 4 players in the Platinum Tier and the bottom 3 players in the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Tiers will be relegated. In other words, if they wish to play in the next season, they will be placed in the next lower tier.

- In the event that there are players who do not wish to continue for the next season of play, the exact number of players being promoted or relegated may be adjusted downward, at my discretion.

- In the event of a tie for a promotion or relegation spot, tiebreakers will be applied (see next section).

- Player ratings are available here: BGG Star Realms League player ratings.

TIEBREAKERS FOR PROMOTION AND RELEGATION

This is being changed on a trial basis for Season 11. See the first post in the main discussion thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18950296#18950296

TIER CHAMPIONSHIPS

Each tier will have available to it one prize -- generously provided by White Wizard Games. The Platinum Tier winner will have first choice of prize, followed in turn by the champion of the Gold, then Silver, then Bronze, then Iron Tier.

The prizes are (to be determined).

The champions of each tier will be determined by having a playoff among the division winners. In the event multiple players tie for first place in a division, there will be a playoff according to the "old" playoff rules for tiebreakers (see link in previous section).

Each of the tournaments will consist of one game per round.

Prize support will continue going forward for as long as White Wizard chooses to provide it. If you like this idea and want White Wizard to continue, head over to this link to let them know: http://www.starrealms.com/contact-us/.

REMINDERS, TIPS, & NOTES

- Please check in at regular intervals to BGG -- daily, if possible. It would also be a good idea to subscribe to this thread.

- Please endeavor to play at a good pace. Though there is no system in place for penalizing slow play, if it becomes burdensome to the other players in the division, I may be forced to remove a lagging player from the league.

- When matches are posted, either player may send the challenge.

- When matches conclude, either player may post the result. Screenshots are not necessary. The player who does not post the result should give a thumbs-up to the player who did post the result (by clicking the green thumbs-up icon on the post).

- If at some point during the season you anticipate being unavailable for more that a day or two, please notify me as far in advance as you can. In this situation, I am willing to double up games from the rounds you will be absent for so as not to delay the entire division.

- If a player fails to post to this thread by the time the pairings for round 3 are posted, that player will be replaced.

- In the event that a player unexpectedly stops responding to invitations or games being played and it becomes apparent to me that the player has abandoned the league, that player will be removed (if it is later than round 3). When a player is removed, all of a player's games are vacated, including games already played; this means that a player's games already played will not count and that future opponents will have a bye for a round.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them (or geekmail me, if you prefer).

Pairings for round 1 (with preferences in parentheses):

FlyingArrow (N) v. NRG (S)
TheeMystic (N) v. Eucee (N)
Tatsu (A) v. Jigmelingpa (S)
Dorvan (S) v. JayT (NP)
SweetJustice (A) v. Dagaren (S)
Schoonmj (NP) v. HomerJr (S)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge sent! First post!

Good luck to everyone. May the odds never be in your favor more than mine whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have the odds in your favor as long I get to have the outcome in my favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Great to be back with you all! Challenge sent to TheeMystic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see some familiar faces back in Platinum again.

Is it too late to change my preference to NP?

Challenge sent to Schoonmj (type S).

Good luck, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game underway with SweetJustice. Good luck everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dorvan defeats JayT in a game where I kept lining up my two Cutters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to be back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like every season, there are 4 "new" players in Platinum.

Welcome to NRG for his first appearance in Platinum! He spent the last 7 seasons in the Gold Tier, and has been playing since season 1!

Also welcome to Jigmelingpa, for his first appearance in Platinum! He spent the last three seasons in Gold, and has been in the league since season 4.

JayT makes his 4th appearance in Platinum, which may be even more impressive than staying in Platinum since it's not easy to win any division. Fun fact is JayT has been promoted or demoted in every season back to Season 1 except for season 8. Feast or Famine!

The other "new" player is Eucee, who has only one sub-.500 season (#9), which resulted in her demotion from Platinum to Gold. She went 8-3 in Season 10 and is quickly back in Platinum.

Good luck everyone! (except maybe FlyingArrow... someone else needs to win for a change) ;-)

Edit: Aweberman, here's my post, don't drop me ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
I'm glad to see some familiar faces back in Platinum again.

Is it too late to change my preference to NP?

Challenge sent to Schoonmj (type S).

Good luck, everyone!
It's never too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
POSTED!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagaren over SweetJustice.

Wow did things line up for me on that one. Sorry to do that to you SweetJustice. Good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr is absolutely demolishing Schoonmj.

It started innocently I think. But the freighter and megahauler ended up netting him a command ship, the Ark, a Fleet HQ to name a few. I only had 4 starter cards left to his 8, but it was a crushing victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
railbaron wrote:
HomerJr is absolutely demolishing Schoonmj.

It started innocently I think. But the freighter and megahauler ended up netting him a command ship, the Ark, a Fleet HQ to name a few. I only had 4 starter cards left to his 8, but it was a crushing victory.

Good game!

I had a strong economic start which meant I was vulnerable to a rush, so I was feeling pretty good that a lot of cheap attack never showed up in the trade row. You had better scrapping than I did, but you always seemed to fall just short of enough trade to snag some of the power cards.

There was one moment in the game in particular that I'll brag a little bit about. I had no scrap, so though I had a few strong cards in my deck already, it was pretty inefficient and bloated. When the last 5 cards in my deck were 3 scouts, a viper, and a Imperial Frigate, I got a chance to make a move after the third shuffle (I think) that I was proud of. By scrapping the frigate and forcing a shuffle, I bottom decked four dead cards for the next shuffle which I think gave my deck the efficiency boost it needed for to mount a few crushing blows on the next few turns. I don't know if it made the difference in the game or not (probably not), but I enjoy the challenge of finding opportunities to make difference-making tactical moves like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dagaren wrote:
Dagaren over SweetJustice.

Wow did things line up for me on that one. Sorry to do that to you SweetJustice. Good game.
No worries at all. Sometimes you're the hammer and sometimes you're the nail. Good game.

Your final deck was light years better than mine. At least Remy doesn't collect the scores from us any longer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Platinum Tier: The most exciting way to watch your ranking plummet!

Good luck to everyone this season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow over NRG.

My deck was a four color mess but I paired two colors in one big hand midgame, and that provided the momentum I needed. Good game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NRG gets barely deafeated by FlyingArrow.

GG! It was tough for you after I got the 2nd Recycling Station. I also could have overkilled you on that last turn if you didn't take me to exacly 0 with all of your power. And I mean ALL of your power. (RAGE) GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
energy2001 wrote:
NRG gets barely deafeated by FlyingArrow.

GG! It was tough for you after I got the 2nd Recycling Station. I also could have overkilled you on that last turn if you didn't take me to exacly 0 with all of your power. And I mean ALL of your power. (RAGE) GG!

I must have miscounted. I figured I had 2 turns before you could finish me off, and I needed two "+2" ally bonuses to win. Then I drew all my combat in the first turn including two ally bonuses. You still had Corvette, Imperial Fighter, Explorer? Maybe I missed something. Did you have an allied Freighter to top-deck something? I may have overlooked that if you had one. In any case, yes, very good game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Schoonmaker-Gates
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:

When the last 5 cards in my deck were 3 scouts, a viper, and a Imperial Frigate, I got a chance to make a move after the third shuffle (I think) that I was proud of. By scrapping the frigate and forcing a shuffle, I bottom decked four dead cards for the next shuffle which I think gave my deck the efficiency boost it needed for to mount a few crushing blows on the next few turns. I don't know if it made the difference in the game or not (probably not), but I enjoy the challenge of finding opportunities to make difference-making tactical moves like these.

I think I remember that. I agree that I don't think that made THE difference in the game, but it was definitely a good great move and I'm sure it helped you really ramp up your deck.

I've been interested in trying to analyze the impact of moves like this. I mean, if people make such a big deal out of scrapping and removing 1 card from your deck, a move like this basically removes 4 cards for one shuffle, which is nearly an entire (really crappy) turn ! Considering games can last only 10 turns or less, that's a HUGE impact. Not only that, but it greatly increases the chances of getting ally abilities, which can be huge (the freighter especially comes to mind). So yeah, I think this move may be the most powerful you can make. And I know everyone here knows that already, but just emphasizing the point I guess :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just discussed managing the draw (the play HomerJr is talking about) on this past episode of Megahaulin. It's a huge bump in the opportunity for your allied cards to pair.

d
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eucee defeats TheeMystic in a game that had some surprises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jigmelingpa and Tatsu dinging each other bit by bit until Jigmelingpa pulled it out.

Close match - GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb