Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG Star Realms League!
This thread is for the eleventh season of play, Bronze Tier, Cutter Division.
Following are the league rules:

Every player should subscribe not only to their own divisional thread, but also to the main discussion thread. Going forward, this is the only place that I will post notification about upcoming seasons.

Please respect the preferences of the players in your division, if at all possible, for playing with the Gambits expansion. The divisions have been formulated as much as possible to group preferences together. This is a Type N division. (For more details, see the Division Structure section below.)

NEW RULES FOR SEASON 11

- If any player fails to post in this thread before the start of round 3, that player will be replaced (unless I have received prior notification).

- If your opponent has posted the result of your match before you've had a chance to, thumb that post.

- When posting the pairings for the final round, I always ask whether players intend to continue playing in the league. Beginning with this season, this will be the only time I ask, so make sure you respond.

- A new system of tiebreakers for promotion and relegation is being instituted on a trial basis for this season. In short, there will generally be no playoff. For more details, see the first post of the main discussion thread.

- A new system for the Tier Championships is being instituted on a trial basis for this season. In short, only the division winners will qualify. For more details, see the section on Tier Championships (below).

ROUND STRUCTURE

- A round begins when the standings for the round just finished are posted along with the pairings for the next round. (For the first round, the round begins with this post.)

- The maximum duration of a round is 72 hours (rounded to the next morning, CDT). Of course, matches that are not completed within the 72-hour timeframe will still count once they are completed.

- Each round will be played discretely. In other words, players will not generally "play ahead" by playing matches against divisional opponents in quick succession (unless they have notified me of an absence).

- In this league, "match" is defined as "one game against an opponent."

DIVISION STRUCTURE

- The duration of the season is 11 rounds, as each player will play each other player in the division once.

- Standings will be posted upon the conclusion of each round.

- Standings are determined by a player's record of wins and losses.

- The columns you will see in the standings are as follows:

W - wins
L - losses
Pct - winning percentage (wins divided by games played)
Gambits - the player's preference for playing with Gambits: (A)ll, (G)ambits, (S)hips and bases, (N)one, (N)o (P)reference

- If a division has an assigned type (for example, "Type S"), then all games should generally be played as that type.

- If a division does not have an assigned type, players should try to come to a mutual understanding. If that is not possible due to player's insistence on their preference, the game will be played according to whichever player has the "lower" preference. In this context, A is highest, followed by S, then N.

LEAGUE STRUCTURE

- The league is divided into five tiers: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Iron.

- The tiers are arranged in a pyramidal structure, with a different number of divisions in each tier, as follows:

Platinum - 1 division
Gold - 2 divisions
Silver - 3 divisions
Bronze - 4 divisions
Iron - 5 divisions

- The top 2 players in every division but the Platinum Tier will be promoted. In other words, if they wish to play in the next season, they will be placed in the next higher tier. (Exceptions: In the Bronze Tier, the third-place finisher with the best record among the four divisions will also be promoted as a wild card, and in the Iron Tier the two best records from among the five divisions will be in contention for the wild card.)

- The bottom 4 players in the Platinum Tier and the bottom 3 players in the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Tiers will be relegated. In other words, if they wish to play in the next season, they will be placed in the next lower tier.

- In the event that there are players who do not wish to continue for the next season of play, the exact number of players being promoted or relegated may be adjusted downward, at my discretion.

- In the event of a tie for a promotion or relegation spot, tiebreakers will be applied (see next section).

- Player ratings are available here: BGG Star Realms League player ratings.

TIEBREAKERS FOR PROMOTION AND RELEGATION

This is being changed on a trial basis for Season 11. See the first post in the main discussion thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18950296#18950296

TIER CHAMPIONSHIPS

Each tier will have available to it one prize -- generously provided by White Wizard Games. The Platinum Tier winner will have first choice of prize, followed in turn by the champion of the Gold, then Silver, then Bronze, then Iron Tier.

The prizes are (to be determined).

The champions of each tier will be determined by having a playoff among the division winners. In the event multiple players tie for first place in a division, there will be a playoff according to the "old" playoff rules for tiebreakers (see link in previous section).

Each of the tournaments will consist of one game per round.

Prize support will continue going forward for as long as White Wizard chooses to provide it. If you like this idea and want White Wizard to continue, head over to this link to let them know: http://www.starrealms.com/contact-us/.

REMINDERS, TIPS, & NOTES

- Please check in at regular intervals to BGG -- daily, if possible. It would also be a good idea to subscribe to this thread.

- Please endeavor to play at a good pace. Though there is no system in place for penalizing slow play, if it becomes burdensome to the other players in the division, I may be forced to remove a lagging player from the league.

- When matches are posted, either player may send the challenge.

- When matches conclude, either player may post the result. Screenshots are not necessary. The player who does not post the result should give a thumbs-up to the player who did post the result (by clicking the green thumbs-up icon on the post).

- If at some point during the season you anticipate being unavailable for more that a day or two, please notify me as far in advance as you can. In this situation, I am willing to double up games from the rounds you will be absent for so as not to delay the entire division.

- If a player fails to post to this thread by the time the pairings for round 3 are posted, that player will be replaced.

- In the event that a player unexpectedly stops responding to invitations or games being played and it becomes apparent to me that the player has abandoned the league, that player will be removed (if it is later than round 3). When a player is removed, all of a player's games are vacated, including games already played; this means that a player's games already played will not count and that future opponents will have a bye for a round.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them (or geekmail me, if you prefer).

Pairings for round 1:

ErnieB v. greylag
Arc v. Punisher
billpaterno v. JivetimeJ
futurewolf v. InvAsian
CatPhish v. Wonko
punkin v. VacaBCK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenging CatPhish now. Welcome back everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
challenged Vacabck!

Its been a while Brandon! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wooo let's go!

Challenged ErnieB.

good luck everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kanterman
United States
Scarsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wonko101010 wrote:
Challenging CatPhish now. Welcome back everyone.

Challenge Accepted, sir. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Boyd
United Kingdom
Newtownards
County Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...here we are again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
challenged Vacabck!

Its been a while Brandon!

It certainly has, at last, we meet again.

Accepted, let's roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Le
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Challenging futurewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And so it begins...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenging JivetimeJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
challenge accepted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kanterman
United States
Scarsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CatPhish defeats Wonko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Punkin beats Vacabck

So So Sorry :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
Punkin beats Vacabck

So So Sorry

I'm so so sure you are. Haha

GG!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOliver wrote:
CatPhish defeats Wonko.

The cards weren't my friend today. They loved you though. Good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futurewolf defeats InvAsian, although I was certainly terrified the whole time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grummzaire wrote:
You dealt him his first loss in league play; he went undefeated last season. Pressure's off now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bauer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arc defeats Punisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two matches remain in this round:

ErnieB v. greylag
billpaterno v. JivetimeJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aweberman wrote:
grummzaire wrote:
You dealt him his first loss in league play; he went undefeated last season. Pressure's off now!

I THOUGHT that name sounded familiar but I couldn't place it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aweberman wrote:
Two matches remain in this round:

ErnieB v. greylag
billpaterno v. JivetimeJ

Ernie and I are still plugging away. It's quite the game - every time I look I expect to see either "You have been defeated" or a winning hand. Nearly both fully scrapped now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schlanger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billpa wrote:
Challenging JivetimeJ

JivetimeJ defeated billpaterno

Good game Bill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everybody for checking in to the season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New season, new groupmates. Exciting! Last season I felt I did well in the group stages but lost momentum later on, knocked out in first round of the championship - albeit by Lirela, the Gencon #8 and eventual Iron Tier championship winner (grats Lirela!). This time I'd like to keep that going, and of course continue to write up match reports - it helps me focus and I'm sure improves my game. Plus something to look back at one day when I'm a lv40 (haha right).

Match report:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the crucial early maneuvering, ErnieB went first and snagged one of two Cutters. Of course I took the 2nd, because double cutter is a nightmare. Then I had to choose between the Trade Twins - Bot or Pod? I was planning to get Pod, but my cutter buy opened up a Supply Bot, so I switched to take Trade Bot. I don't love the card, but I like giving my opponent double scrap even less. And I'm odds on that next turn Ernie will only be able to get one of Supply Bot / Trade Pod. That opened Recycling Station - I'll happily take whichever of that and Supply Bot is available!

Underneath it was another Supply Bot, which Ernie snags. Normally I'd feel bad about this but in this case, I'm fine because Recycling Station + 1 scrap is practically as fast as 2 scrap without it, and anyway, if Ernie makes too many more buys that don't come with firepower attached, they won't be able to get down my Recycling Station when it comes up, and that means lots more deck speed for me. In that spirit I also take an Imperial Frigate and Space Station. Now I have two outposts, and Ernie still has no way to kill them without hitting an ally ability.

Now Ernie gets a Missile Bot. 3rd scrapper is the charm, even without Recycling Station they'll be scrapping super fast now. I wish a couple of my buys hadn't opened up scrappers like this but all you can do is play the best game you can and avoid giving opportunities except when you have to - I'm happy with my play so far. That's the end of the opening for me - both our deck types are set, I'm trying to go through the deck fast, Ernie is trying to scrap down.

Later on that Space Station really pays off, and I'm able to sac it for Command Ship. This plays right into my gameplan. At the same time, Ernie has 3 scrappers by now, and later gets a 4th (did you ever get a 5th? it looked like it at one point...). But because of my deck speed, my more limited scrap (think I was up to 3 around this point) is actually managing to keep up, even though I bottom-decked double scrap once, and a couple more times had to forego scrapping due to having them right after the shuffle without anything to eat.

Ernie is going major Blob now - great choice if you're well scrapped. It's Battle Blob / Mothership / Dreadnaught (argh!) vs. my Command Ship with heavy station/yacht support and a fleet of small ships (2 x Corvette, 2 x Survey Ship, to trigger my new War World). My deck speed is still through the roof but I'm very conscious that if Ernie ever draws Battle Blob and Dreadnaught together, I die if I'm within 24 points of lethal. And they're VERY well scrapped now - 1 starter card to my 3.

I finally close out the game with the key combo of Frigate / Survey (scrap) / Survey (scrap). Discard x 3 is almost always the prelude to lethal, and while Ernie puts up a good show with Battle Blob / Blob Fighter / Barter World (auth, scrap), I get my yacht and bring it together with a War World ally activation for final damage.

Amazing game! Like I said above I kept opening the app expecting to see that it was over. It was only in the last two turns I thought I probably had it, and even then I couldn't quite believe it. If all the games in this division are going to be this tough I'm gonna have a tricky (and fun!) time here. Thanks Ernie!

greylag def. ErnieB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:

Match report:
Ah, yes.

These quickly became one of my favorite things about the league last season, and I'm glad to see their return.

Standings after round 1:

Bronze Tier, Cutter Division Type N

Name W L Pct Gambits?

Arc 1 0 100 N
CatPhish 1 0 100 N
futurewolf 1 0 100 N
greylag 1 0 100 N
JivetimeJ 1 0 100 N
punkin 1 0 100 N
billpaterno 0 1 0 N
ErnieB 0 1 0 N
InvAsian 0 1 0 N