Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have two 8 Land units in Bangkok. One Japanese, one British. Its occupied by the Brits but its Japan's turn. Given Singapore is stacked by the Japanese, the Brits have no Naval way into the Bangkok hex due to the concentration of impassible hexsides around there. I was considering placing a single Japanese Destroyer in the hex from their Saigon side to cut the British supply in half (leaving the Brits needing to roll 6's only for combat)but now doubt this would be the case as surely the way the land lies would render this ineffective? Surely both sides would be supplied (chains intact)? Malaya is vacant by the way and proposed battleground, Bangkok itself, lay in both a British and Japanese Air ZOC.
Please advise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdnly wrote:
I have two 8 Land units in Bangkok. One Japanese, one British. Its occupied by the Brits but its Japan's turn. Given Singapore is stacked by the Japanese, the Brits have no Naval way into the Bangkok hex due to the concentration of impassible hexsides around there. I was considering placing a single Japanese Destroyer in the hex from their Saigon side to cut the British supply in half (leaving the Brits needing to roll 6's only for combat)but now doubt this would be the case as surely the way the land lies would render this ineffective? Surely both sides would be supplied (chains intact)? Malaya is vacant by the way and proposed battleground, Bangkok itself, lay in both a British and Japanese Air ZOC.
Please advise

If I remember correctly (been some time since I have played), I think that the Japanese Naval unit in Bangkok (giving the Japanese Sea Control) does indeed cut the British supply line. The Japanese would have the advantage in this case. So, Yes, the British would have to roll 6's during combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the second paragraph of rule 12.3.3.3

If one player has Sea Control, all opposing naval units in
Bombardment Task Force boxes (those that did not participate in
the surface combat) are immediately placed on the Turn Record
Track to arrive as reinforcements in their next friendly
Reinforcement Phase. Also, in any upcoming land combat, this
player’s units will be in supply, while enemy units will be out of
supply regardless of their ability to trace a Supply Line.

If you establish Sea Control in a hex, your land units in that hex are in supply and your opponent's land units are out of supply. End of story. The Japanese player in the extended example of play at the end of the rule book moves a single destroyer unit to each of Manila and Singapore during the Operational Movement Phase for this very reason.

Land supply only becomes relevant if neither side establishes Sea Control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Naylor
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you both for such a swift and resolute response

That you have both stuck tightly to the rules, this made me take a better look at what it was I was upto. The thing was, is the situation the rules example of the Malayan Peninsula provokes in me, with its split sea hex effect. This is as you will be well aware, where both sides have the possibility for simultaneous sea control, with their navy's being either side of the peninsula and so both opposing sides can be supplied at the same time. And to me, Bangkok's terrain features seemed to kind of replicate this. Yes of course, there isnt accessible sea for the Brits from the Rangoon side but I reasoned, nor does Japan have sea control around that side either, or...so I imagined; it would just be the Saigon side. This notion of mine at first suggested the Japanese would then be in supply with a destroyer but are more crucially, distinctly not interfering with the British supply. So, lucky for them I thought! However, now i realise if this were the case then neither need the Japanese put a destroyer in Bangkok given the 2nd bullet point of 12.3.4.4
However, I will now stick to the "letter of the law" from now on
Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls