Hide
14 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1st game Yesterday, questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lucas costa
msg tools
howdy Fellas, just played my first game yesterday, and oh boy, am I hyped!

We managed to win against Azatoth With the counter on 1 and one mythos card left, phew!

Few questions:

"Action Trade", is it mandatory to actually TRADE, or can you just give an item to someone. And, while we're at it, how many items can you trade?

Spellcastin': There are spells that you cast in your action phase and spells that you cast anytime, right? (Example, feed the mind/ that one where you test lore to help any investigator from losing his mind)

Clues: can I use a clue I got through any other means except solving, go to its marker on the board and solve it on the encounter phase?

Portals: After we run out of them, do we shuffle them and put back?

Looking forward to new matches of this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfclucas87 wrote:
"Action Trade", is it mandatory to actually TRADE, or can you just give an item to someone.
You're free to just give or just take.

lfclucas87 wrote:
Spellcastin': There are spells that you cast in your action phase and spells that you cast anytime, right? (Example, feed the mind/ that one where you test lore to help any investigator from losing his mind)
The are two main spell groups.
Rituals: These require spending an action to cast them. Like "Action: Test lore, if you pass improve a skill." or "Action: Test lore, if you pass gain a Blessed Condition."

Incantations: These don't require an action, but instead trigger in specific situations (not exactly "anytime"!). Like "When an investigator would lose health, you may test Lore...", "When an investigator takes a Rest Action you may test Lore..." and so on.

The newest expansion, Strange Remnants, introduced a third group of spells.
Glamours: These have a static effect which doesn't require a Lore test. However, instead you must test Lore on each reckoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucas costa
msg tools
Thank you very much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Note that you can give or take almost everything that isn't nailed down during a trade, most notably spells and clues (assume that they have a physical form of stacks of notes, I guess) as well as allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfclucas87 wrote:

Do you mean 'Gates'?

Yes.

From Page 7 of the Reference book, under 'Gates'. The 2nd part of the 3rd bullet point says:
"When there are no Gates remaining in the Gate stack, place all discarded Gates facedown in the Gate stack and randomize them."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucas costa
msg tools
Thank you Ace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
lfclucas87 wrote:
Clues: can I use a clue I got through any other means except solving, go to its marker on the board and solve it on the encounter phase?
You wrote this question in a weird way. I think you are asking whether you can spend clues to solve mysteries and rumors regardless how you got them?

Usually the answer is yes, but some mysteries specify that you do an Investigation encounter and move clues gained that way directly to the mystery. For this type, you cannot use other clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Some easy mistakes you might make in early plays:

Don't forget you can't add like bonuses. You can never use two bonuses to a skill check that use the same symbol; for example, two weapons or a weapon and an ally that both add to strength. If it doesn't use a symbol, such as Leo Anderson's bonus die in wilderness, it can be used with other bonuses.

If you a monster surge and the current omen has no gates, spawn a gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfclucas87 wrote:
"Action Trade", is it mandatory to actually TRADE, or can you just give an item to someone. And, while we're at it, how many items can you trade?

You can trade as many things as you want in a single Trade action, in either direction, including 0 things. Things you CAN trade include any small cards except Conditions, plus Clues and Tickets. Things you can't trade are Conditions, Health, Sanity, Improvements, Focus (in expansions).

lfclucas87 wrote:

As others have said, different types of spells have different triggers (Rituals must be cast as an action during the action phase, Incantations can be cast when their trigger condition is met, Glamours (expansions) are constantly available effects that don't require casting.

lfclucas87 wrote:

No. Research encounters are triggered only by encountering a clue on the board during the encounter phase. If they're in your possession, you already have that clue, you don't need to research anything (and you can't choose to research it either in order to trigger Mystery effects)

lfclucas87 wrote:

Yep, when you need to draw a gate and the stack is empty, you reshuffle the discarded pile and turn that into the stack (or this may technically happen as soon as the stack is empty; I can't recall).

Glad you're enjoying it! My first victory with the game was a nail-biter against Azathoth too, finishing with only one doom left on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucas costa
msg tools
Thank you all for the answers.

The game is awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucas costa
msg tools
No, no, see Simon's answer below, thanks anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Kotala
Canada
flag msg tools
Can you really not trade focus's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wesmo wrote:
Can you really not trade focus's?

No, focus tokens aren't possessions. Note that the other new thing introduced in MoM are Unique Assets, which are explicitly stated to be possessions so can be traded. There is no such statement for Focus tokens.

Edit: Another clue is this new spell in the next expansion

This allows you to trade focus and other things that you normally can't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Kotala
Canada
flag msg tools
OK. Thanks! Good to know.
 Thumb up
 tip