United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last several months I've been thinking about starting a podcast focused on reviews and board game lifestyle topics. There are so many that cover the news, I'd like to steer clear of news unless we really want to talk about it.

While I've jotted down notes for a few episode ideas, I don't really have a podcast partner that is as dedicated as I am. This led to me recording a few segments solo, but I'd really like to find a good podcast partner. Having a partner that will help in setting a mutual schedule that we can keep to. Ideally, I'd like to work with someone who has similar tastes in games. If you are interested, please look over my collection and written reviews to get a sample of what I'd like to bring to the podcast.

I've linked to my favorite review I've written here. (towards the end where I describe the advent of the hybrid).

If you're interested or have questions feel free to comment, or send me a GM - for those who stumble across this thread, please thumb to increase exposure!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone sent me an email asking some questions and I felt like my response was worth reposting to clarify what I'm looking for -

Quote:
I'm not sure which Podcasts you listen to, but I think an important
aspect would be finding a unique style (which would likely take a few
episodes). That's why I want to steer clear of the news because so
many podcasts focus on it (unless it's stuff that really interests
us). I'd like to really focus on reviews as the main part of the
podcast, and when doing the reviews I'd really like to talk about how
a certain game has affected the hobby and even the "lineage" of the
game - like I did in that Eldritch Horror review.

I'd also like to do some genre discussion episodes. For example one of
the segments that I recorded (but didn't like because it felt weird
with just me talking solo) was on deckbuilders. It just focused on
talking about which deckbuilders I liked because of what I'm looking
for in a deckbuilder. I think it'd be interesting to alternate
"review" episodes with these other types of episodes. Ideally, each
"review" episode would contain around 2-3 reviews of about 15-20
minutes.

Are there any ideas that you were discussing with your gaming partner?

I'm not an expert at recording, I was just doing audio recordings on
my computer, so if you have any skills in the computer side of things,
that'd be a big help too.

There are two main reasons I'm looking for a podcast partner:
1. I think a podcast will be more successful with a partner - one guy
ranting just sounds weird. Plus, I'd like to focus on some board game
"lifestyle" topics which would be fun with two distinct personalities.
2. I have a busy schedule (but definitely time to commit to this) -
and I'd like to set a schedule with another person to keep me
accountable - kind of like having a workout buddy.

If you like my ideas, we can keep talking via email, but ideally, I'd
like to have a phone conversation in the future to see if we have a
good conversational flow.

Let me know what you think or if you have any more questions -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you thinking in regard to overall length per episode? Also, do you plan to edit or just leave the recordings raw, stream-of-consciousness stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions, I'm thinking around 30-40 minutes per episode. (Commuter friendly).

I do want to edit, but as little as possible. The way I picture it - there may be a few segments that are mashed together to form an episode (like two reviews - or two smaller topics). Aside from those types of edits and maybe some intro music - I'd like to keep them as close to a conversation as possible.

I'm also really considering making the podcast more than just me and one other - so far there are actually a few willing people who have sent me GM and I'm really just trying to nail down what I want and see who is a great match going forward. (I'm also strongly considering that no one out there on the inter webs would be interested in listening to a podcast featuring my thoughts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel beatenhead
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
well on the one hand I fit a lot of those requirements... but on the other I just got into the hobby recently so I haven't actually played that many games yet...
of course the flipside of that is a newbie on the show asking questions can help you keep your show a little more accessible. but that's up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing about this podcast is that I want to have guests that visit often and are recurring. (Kind of like how Zee started with the dice tower). While I'm not sure someone who is new to the hobby would work as a main host because I want the focus of this podcast to be depth, I think it'd be great to have newer people's opinions quite often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How often do you plan on releasing episodes/recording?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to do podcasting for a while, and touching on boardgame lifestyle topics is totally something I'm in to and spend a lot of time talking about (a little on BGG, but more on reddit). I'm definitely interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
How often do you plan on releasing episodes/recording?

I plan on releasing here on BGG every other week. Id love to have you at least as a guest so we can discuss which is worse, #StirThePot or #FanTheFlames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolby, check out my collection and the games I've played. We have some good overlap but also some definite differences which could be cool to discuss.

Just ordered Mysterium, Five Tribes expansion (saw you have it), Codenames, Cash N Guns, Imperial Settlers and Tides of Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
I might like to guest once in a while. I could bring the "older" perspective (I'm 52), the parent perspective (I've raised my five kids as gamers), the color blind and nearsighted perspective, etc. I've done a bunch of public speaking and have taught classes from high school to college level, so talking into a mic is no biggie. It sounds fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MARCUSRPG wrote:
I might like to guest once in a while. I could bring the "older" perspective (I'm 52), the parent perspective (I've raised my five kids as gamers), the color blind and nearsighted perspective, etc. I've done a bunch of public speaking and have taught classes from high school to college level, so talking into a mic is no biggie. It sounds fun.

That would be an interesting perspective, I'll definitely keep you in mind for some topics. Ideally, we'll have a geeklist that will allow easy access and discussion of the episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to rain on anyone's parade - and maybe it's just my style - but to me the best podcasts out there are all done by people who've known and played with each other for decades - examples are the Secret Cabal guys, Flip the Table, On Board Games and Doug & Shelly Garrett.

So, isn't there anyone like that in your life ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Not to rain on anyone's parade - and maybe it's just my style - but to me the best podcasts out there are all done by people who've known and played with each other for decades - examples are the Secret Cabal guys, Flip the Table, On Board Games and Doug & Shelly Garrett.

Camaraderie is good and can lead to good conversational dynamics, but also risks devolving into dense in-jokes. Complementary personalities and strong speaking skills are tops, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

It's a fair question - and yes, I do have people like that, but those people just aren't willing to commit to the idea of starting a podcast (and nearly every interested party has told me a similar story). I hope that through a mutual interest whoever I decide to work with and I will develop such a friendship. I don't think that it's necessary at the start in order to have a good, quality podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls