Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: We Want Your Input: Table Top and RPG Survey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Spoltore
msg tools
We're conducting a survey and your input would be appreciated. This survey was created to allow you - the player - to communicate your desires, preferences, likes and dislikes to the independent game publishing and design community. The survey should take you approximately 20-minutes to complete.

Knarr Press appreciates your time and respects your privacy. Your answers will not be shared or used in anyway except to create statistical results to help improve the gaming industry. Your information will NEVER be used for marketing purposes in anyway. Knarr Press has sponsored this survey, but since we all benefit by better games available in the market, the combined results of this survey will be shared freely with players and other independent game publishers and designers.

Click here to begin the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TableTopGaming

On behalf of all the independent game designers and publishers, we at Knarr Press, would like to thank you for your participation and willingness to share your opinions.

Paul Spoltore
KNARR PRESS
http://www.knarrpress.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think #5 was repetitive
#6 I think might be a question without a worthwhile result
#8 answers should have the same form in each answer (0-30mins, 30mins - 2hours, 2-4hours, 4+hours)
#9 "availability of expansion packs" do you mean having expansion packs vs not or limiting the actual availability of the expansion print-offs like promos?
a lot in #9 depend on the game, ie random events could work very well in some games but not others
#10 - you might want a question asking whats our size of collection here on bgg because I dont want to list more than 5
#11 kinda switches between mechanics and theme...still works but just kinda throws me off when trying to answer/compare. and again filling "others" may take too long

Hope my answers there and comments here help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Buffington
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished up the survey. I'm always happy to help out indy publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my humble best. Hope it's helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the survey, but I had major issues with many of the questions. I'll post them here in the hopes that it helps you create a better survey for the next time around!

"How much time do you 'spend on' tabletop/dice/card games?"

Uhh, from that wording, I'd include time spent reading/discussing board games on this site. You didn't say "playing".

"Random Events and/or Combat" These are TOTALLY different to me and cannot be construed as the same. Random Events are often very random and just create chaos, which combat can be extremely deterministic, which adds no chaos.

Plastic pieces can also be quality. Quality =/= wood.

I like cooperative with traitor games. I don't play pure cooperative games. Your question links them together.

You often have me comparing mechanisms to themes. Resource management VS mafia? Why not a resource management mafia game?

I wouldn't call Magic the Gathering a "deckbuilder" in boardgame parlance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just took the survey. Hope it helps. Judging from the results at the end, I seem to be in the majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Done! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a flawed assumption in the poll, that wargames are only miniatures wargames. In reality, there are far more wargames that do not use miniatures than there are that do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
There is a flawed assumption in the poll, that wargames are only miniatures wargames. In reality, there are far more wargames that do not use miniatures than there are that do.

Yeah, I specified wargames in "Other" and gave examples like Paths of Glory et al. I don't know if it is necessarily a flawed assumption so much as an omission in favor of trying to establish how important miniatures are to gamers in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel beatenhead
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my preferred game time is 30 minutes to an hour but that's not a choice. ??
also I prefer 1/2 to 4 players but that's not one either!
other than that it worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "are you planning to buy board games in the next year" question actually made me laugh out loud at work.

Pete (is amused at the one guy who said no)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Moore
msg tools
mbmb
I also try to get boardgames that are roughly an hour in length and the survey went from 15-30 minutes to under 2 hours. Adding the choice of 1 hour would be recommended as most 15-30 min games are to short for me and the 2 hour long games take up too much time to get others to commit to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brown
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Quote:
Tile Laying (e.g. Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne)

Catan is a tile laying game?

Quote:
21. Are you male or female?

Male

Female

only 2 options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Pete (is amused at the one guy who said no)

My suspicion is that even though s/he may not be planning on it, it's going to happen anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls