http://mattyellen.github.io/imperial-assault-calculator/

Just plug in all your stats:
* Attack dice
* Attack abilities
* Surge abilities
* Defense dice
* Defense abilities

...and hit calculate.

It will show you a graph with the percent chance of doing at least X damage (from 1 to the max damage possible). It assumes surges will be spent in a way to maximize damage to your target.

This is still a work in progress -- I've used it in one game so far. Let me know what you think and if there are any additional features I should add.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Tap, Double Click or Right Click should reduce a stat (on a die, effect). Aside that, very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atila Kawauti
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! Thanks for sharing.

And I agree that we should have some way to decrease the values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(↑↑↓↓←→←→BA)? Rebels get infinite lives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Piorkowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Now to make it an App for my iphone/ipad and all is well. nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
DemanKnght wrote:
Now to make it an App for my iphone/ipad and all is well. nice work.

Totally unnecessary. Please contact Apple and ask them to be able to create mini apps out of mobile-websites. Safari had(has?) that function since ages. EDIT: Mobile Safari has it too... tap the Share button and then "Add to Home Screen". If the icon is ugly, now that "can" rather easily be fixed by the author of this nice web-app here .

In contrast native apps take a ton of maintenance and vendor-lock in. What about Android? Blackberry? Windows Phone? Firefox OS? Ubuntu Mobile? Tizen?
Also you don't get to be on the App Store "for free". So you probably okay paying 5 USD instead of simply bookmarking?

As of now You can simply bookmark the app in mobile Safari. Mobile experience could be improved for sure if the behavior, grid, spacing, scaling etc. are improved. HTML5 can do that easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools
Exactly right. I actually designed the app with mobile in mind. Looks great on my iPhone 6 and it should work fine on smaller screens too like the iPhone 4 (just requires a little bit of vertical scrolling.)

The icon you get when you "add to home screen" should also look good. Meta tags are there with icons in multiple dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools
I'm thinking about adding a "compare" option to show multiple graphs at a time. Will be useful for seeing how different weapons (or heroes) stack up against a single target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hadz
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Love this tool! Thanks very much Matt.

Do you think it would be possible to add some sort of reroll (for Vader type abilities) and/or replacement icons (for Han/R2D2 type abilities)? Either way it's amazing as you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried this, it's a kickass tool, kudos and thank you.

It would be icing on the cake if you'd add buttons for the deployment cards and weapons in the game, so that with one click you have the needed configuration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools
Thanks everyone! Glad you like it.

hadz wrote:
Love this tool! Thanks very much Matt.

Do you think it would be possible to add some sort of reroll (for Vader type abilities) and/or replacement icons (for Han/R2D2 type abilities)? Either way it's amazing as you have it.

Hmm... reroll is a tricky beast. I would love to add it, but I have to figure out how to do the calculation in a way that's efficient. With regard to "replacement icons"... I'm not familiar with that; I'll have to look it up. The group I play with is only about half way through our first campaign -- haven't encountered all the special abilities yet.

DukeOfEarl wrote:
I just tried this, it's a kickass tool, kudos and thank you.

It would be icing on the cake if you'd add buttons for the deployment cards and weapons in the game, so that with one click you have the needed configuration.

I've thought about this too, but wasn't sure if there were licensing / copyright issues. A similar feature I'm also considering is the ability to save / load settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just let people add those with title and effects and save in session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taleden .
msg tools
Looks pretty slick!

It's funny, I was tinkering with a similar idea a few months ago and posted here about it, but nobody seemed interested. Glad to see you getting some good feedback!

One of the things I struggled with was the logic for optimally assigning rolled surges to available options, especially with a variety of range/damage options, to achieve the best possible damage at each range. I came up with a procedure that seemed to work okay for all of the surge options that I knew to exist at the time, but I'm looking forward to digging in to see how you implemented that to support your custom surge ability definitions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
You should have it show another line graph showing the probability of that much damage + 1 surge.

Some surge abilities are complex, and it's good to know what the chance is of activating them (or Stun).

So, for stun I want to know the probability of at least 1 damage + an available surge.

The probability will always be less than the main graph, so you can draw it on the same table with different shading. Possibly add one more for 2 surges (perhaps have it only draw it if the probability is above 3%).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wolfman
msg tools
Beautiful!

I'll chime in with my code in case you want to borrow anything or others want a bit different functionality at the cost of way less interface.

I've been playing around with calculations in a Jupyter Notebook. The interface, such as it is, is really only accessible if you know at least some programming. Supports optimization for maximum damage over most surge abilities that impact damage, reporting on "leftover" surges, and attacker and defender rerolls. Computation of odds is precise (vs. performing multiple randomized trials (Monte Carlo)), which has its disadvantages in performance, although I've run some fairly complex roll/surge/reroll combinations without much trouble.

Hosted (code and output) on github at: https://github.com/steven-wolfman/Star-Wars-Imperial-Assault...

You can see various sample graphs at the bottom of the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just found this. This is awesome. Well Done and thanks!

A list of all the units in the game - so you just click on say "Wookiee Warrior" and then select what defense pool they are attacking against - would be awesome

But it's a lot of work at your end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools
Well I wasn't sure about the legal implications of adding the actual game stats into the calculator (not to mention all the work) so I did the next best thing. Just deployed a new version with a Save/Load option. Now you can save you commonly used weapons for easy access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Daniel
msg tools
Very nice work! One thing I am trying to figure out, and its possible I'm misreading the charts, but I can't find the probability of doing 0 damage. Just taking the simplest Melee attack with two dice against a white die - there should be a minimum 1/6 probability of doing 0 damage due to the X (Dodge). But the graph seems to start with 1 damage and goes up from there.

Again, just curious if I am misreading the graph. The site is very slick - nice job!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
totalnoob wrote:
Very nice work! One thing I am trying to figure out, and its possible I'm misreading the charts, but I can't find the probability of doing 0 damage. Just taking the simplest Melee attack with two dice against a white die - there should be a minimum 1/6 probability of doing 0 damage due to the X (Dodge). But the graph seems to start with 1 damage and goes up from there.

Again, just curious if I am misreading the graph. The site is very slick - nice job!!

The chance of 0 damage is 100% minus the chance of doing 1 damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This tool is great, I use it all the time; thanks for putting the work into developing and releasing it!

I was wondering - would it be possible to also output a chart showing Average Damage for each series in the graph? It's very difficult to get an estimate of the average damage from this "at-least" style graph. And while the at-least is generally more useful, sometimes I'm interested in the average damage instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reepicheep Catsbane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, just want to say that I LOVE this website. I use it multiple times per day for PBFs. Thank you for making something so awesome!!

jnad83 wrote:
You should have it show another line graph showing the probability of that much damage + 1 surge.

Some surge abilities are complex, and it's good to know what the chance is of activating them (or Stun).
A work-around to this is to set the accuracy value at 10 more than actual (or any number that is higher than the total accuracy available from the dice pool), and then put in a surge ability for +10 accuracy. This effectively gives you the probability that your attack will do damage and have a surge available (since without the surge = +10 acc, the attack will "miss"). The surge = +10 acc represents the surge you would want to spend on a stun, cleave, recover, etc...

jakers98 wrote:
This tool is great, I use it all the time; thanks for putting the work into developing and releasing it!

I was wondering - would it be possible to also output a chart showing Average Damage for each series in the graph? It's very difficult to get an estimate of the average damage from this "at-least" style graph. And while the at-least is generally more useful, sometimes I'm interested in the average damage instead.
This is a very late response, but if you look for the damage value that is closest to 50%, that will give you a good estimate of average damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodor Kier
msg tools
Question to Matt Yellen (or anybody else)

What are your calculations for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Helfrich
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Yellen
msg tools
, I use this all the time and so do all of my Imperial Assault cronies! I'm assuming you aren't doing much upkeep on it, but curious if there is any thought to adding negative options as well. For instance, the skirmish version of Onar has surge abilities where you subtract Accuracy and add damage or Elite Sentries subtract 1 damage when they use Multi-shot.

Either way, this is great, so thanks for what you've done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls