Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
When: Friday, August 21st @ 6:30PM - late:30
Where: Oak Cliff Baptist Church, Fort Smith, Arkansas

Hey all,

My church is hosting another monthly game night at my church - Oak Cliff Baptist Church. I probably won't be able to make this one personally due to a medical issue, but I have someone covering for me. Come join us for a fun night of board and card gaming!

The fun: This is a free, family-friendly, open gaming event, and we welcome new gamers and old gamers alike. There is usually a very good crowd there (20-30 gamers) so you will always be able to find someone to play with. If you are under 13 years old you need to be accompanied by a responsible adult (18+).

The games: Gateway games, deck builders, fillers, dexterity games, strategy games, war games ...whatever. Many games will be available to play, but please bring your favorites as well! Games I often bring for anyone to play: Sheriff of Nottingham, Specter Ops, Marvel Legendary (with all expansions + Villains), Dead of Winter, Dice Masters, Timeline, Rampage, Summoner Wars (all factions and multiple boards), Nightfall (all expansions), Dominion, 10 Days in the USA, Catan (there pretty much is *always* a game of this going), Ticket to Ride, Wits & Wagers, 7 Wonders (all expansions), Android: Netrunner, Splendor, Diamonds, Clubs, Battle Sheep, Infiltration, and Letters From Whitechapel. Not sure what else others will be bringing, but in the past I know there has been Twilight Imperium III, Battlestar Galactica, Risk, Magic, Sequence, Yugi-Oh, Axis and Allies, Citadels, and more.

The food: There will be snacks and feel free to bring food and/or drinks, but please no alcoholic drinks or game-unfriendly food (e.g., Cheetos). It's kind of a "pot luck" of snacks. Sometimes some really good stuff finds it's way to the buffet!

Oak Cliff is located at 3701 S Gary Street, Fort Smith, AR. You can BGG-mail me with questions, post here, or call the church (479-646-3891).

I hope you can make it!
Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RL M
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chad,

I am glad I found this post! My husband and I are considering moving to Fort Smith--so I had to check out BGG to see what the board-game scene is like there!

Do you have any local board game shops there? And if you don't mind sharing--what's life like there? If you want to geekmail me, that works. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured PM was more appropriate, but I thought I would post part of my reply for any who may be interested in my opinion:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the board game scene is pretty light here. There are two stores that I know of here. One is a friendly place but focuses pretty much exclusively on Magic, so it has little appeal to me. They are a good place for comics, though.

The other store also is heavily focused on Magic, but they do have a few games on a shelf or two. The biggest problem I have with this second one is that it's not very inviting. The staff are somewhat nice, but the crowd is not really ....let's say family-friendly. The regulars drop a lot of four-letter words and there are a few who are probably not daily bathers. While the language doesn't bother me really, it's not an environment I want to bring my kids to. And add the smell on top of that... let's just say I don't go there very often.

The lack of board game community is one of the reasons why I am doing what I am at my church. I'm trying to build it up a little. We have monthly game nights...every four weeks is what I shoot for. (The next one is this Friday if you happen to be in the area.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls