Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you discard, do you have to use the card effect? We ran into several situations where we had a hand of cards where all of the discard effects were either not possible or disadvantageous.

2. When scoring, do minions on other players' captured cards count towards your score? We decided no, but didn't see anything in the rules to indicate one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:
1. When you discard, do you have to use the card effect? We ran into several situations where we had a hand of cards where all of the discard effects were either not possible or disadvantageous.

2. When scoring, do minions on other players' captured cards count towards your score? We decided no, but didn't see anything in the rules to indicate one way or the other.

1) Using the card effect is always optional.

2) Minions on other players' captured cards do count for VP. All minions on an encampment score at the end of the game. 2 points for each minion on their preferred color. 1 point on any other color (or artifact).

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Belmer
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShelbyB wrote:

To corroborate what Josh said, discard abilities are always optional, but are (imho) the key to getting the edge from your opponents. This is essentially a 'free action'. I liken it to an Intrigue card in Lords of Waterdeep. You get something free, PLUS you get to take another action.

All are good and all are conditional.

-DRAW a card is ALWAYS good.

-REPLACE YOUR GENERAL with a minion is crazy. You should ALWAYS do that when possible. Your general is a huge part of getting your dudes out fast and aggressively so recur him when possible

-PLACE a dude on a location color that matches your type. Plan around this, don't just throw these away, wait until you have a land that matches your color, that's an insane advantage playing your land and placing a dude.

-MOVING dudes. This is perhaps some of the more tactical and important decisions you'll make. These are useful almost the entire game (with exception of first few turns). remember you can move ANY dude to ANY open space (with exception of captured artifacts). And I'm just speaking of the 'move any dude' ability, not neccessarily the capture a dude ability, but that applies too.
(a) ANY time you move your dude from a non matching color to a matching color, you just earned 1 point. This game is VERY tight with points, so 1 point just on a throw away discard ability is awesome.
(b) same applies for opponents, any time you can move a dude from their matching color to a non matching COST them a point.
(c) MOVE YOUR dude from a CAPTURED card to a skirmish card! Get them fighting again! You'll never lose your captured card, but your dudes just sitting on the captured card are basically lazy and resting and are itching to fight. Sure you'll score points for them at game end, but they want to get back in the skirmish area and capture more cards.
(d) again, the opposite of c is move an opponent from a skirmish area card to your captured card. You may cost them a point (colors) AND now they're not capturing cards.

So in short, moving dudes is where a lot of the action takes place, and can separate first place from second place.

So if you do have a handful of cards, plan around them. Any time I play (and I've played a lot lol) I almost never discard a card and not take it's ability.

(2) and yes ALL minions score points ANYWHERE on the board at game end (except base came). And don't end the game with your general on your basecamp, that's a sure way to get last place.

now get in there and fight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
ShelbyB wrote:

To corroborate what Josh said, discard abilities are always optional, but are (imho) the key to getting the edge from your opponents. This is essentially a 'free action'. I liken it to an Intrigue card in Lords of Waterdeep. You get something free, PLUS you get to take another action.

All are good and all are conditional.

-DRAW a card is ALWAYS good.

-REPLACE YOUR GENERAL with a minion is crazy. You should ALWAYS do that when possible. Your general is a huge part of getting your dudes out fast and aggressively so recur him when possible

-PLACE a dude on a location color that matches your type. Plan around this, don't just throw these away, wait until you have a land that matches your color, that's an insane advantage playing your land and placing a dude.

-MOVING dudes. This is perhaps some of the more tactical and important decisions you'll make. These are useful almost the entire game (with exception of first few turns). remember you can move ANY dude to ANY open space (with exception of captured artifacts). And I'm just speaking of the 'move any dude' ability, not neccessarily the capture a dude ability, but that applies too.
(a) ANY time you move your dude from a non matching color to a matching color, you just earned 1 point. This game is VERY tight with points, so 1 point just on a throw away discard ability is awesome.
(b) same applies for opponents, any time you can move a dude from their matching color to a non matching COST them a point.
(c) MOVE YOUR dude from a CAPTURED card to a skirmish card! Get them fighting again! You'll never lose your captured card, but your dudes just sitting on the captured card are basically lazy and resting and are itching to fight. Sure you'll score points for them at game end, but they want to get back in the skirmish area and capture more cards.
(d) again, the opposite of c is move an opponent from a skirmish area card to your captured card. You may cost them a point (colors) AND now they're not capturing cards.

So in short, moving dudes is where a lot of the action takes place, and can separate first place from second place.

So if you do have a handful of cards, plan around them. Any time I play (and I've played a lot lol) I almost never discard a card and not take it's ability.

(2) and yes ALL minions score points ANYWHERE on the board at game end (except base came). And don't end the game with your general on your basecamp, that's a sure way to get last place.

now get in there and fight!

Geez Aaron, give them ALL the strategies why doncha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Belmer
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ha ha, sorry. The #1 question I get asked is about moving and what you can/can't do, so just wanted to highlight how open a system that really is for vp and opponent screwage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporky Patrignani
msg tools
When moving another players minion to an artifact, are they able to take an "excavate" trigger? What if it's your unit?

The rule book says "placing for any reason", but is moving placing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Belmer
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sporkybay wrote:
When moving another players minion to an artifact, are they able to take an "excavate" trigger? What if it's your unit?

The rule book says "placing for any reason", but is moving placing?

They won't get to take the excavate action, simply moved onto the space. Thanks for the question!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls