Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Valdor is the very first title I bought from the designer's website. What appeals to me is the blending of RPG and wargame. When I went through the components of Valdor, however, I found so many things unclear that I simply couldn’t start playing the game! The following are my questions and it would be great if the designer (or anyone who has tried the game) could clear them up for me.

The rulebook:
Objective (p2):
Q1a Does the word “cities” here actually refer to the “citadels” as explained in the rules?
Q1b Is “Valdor” in the beginning of the 3rd line actually "Valtigorn"?

Testing Attributes (p3):
Q2 When do the Characters do the “(standard) Evasion Checks”? I don’t seem to find any explanation in the rules and the cards.

Event Unit Counters (p6):
Q3 What is the Search Rating in the example of the Goblins counter? It’s simply not printed on the counter, nor is it mentioned in the rules.

Game Set-up (p6):
Q4 Are the Citadel Control Markers the same as the Settlement Control Markers on p5?

Sequence of Play (p7):
a. Event Check
Q5a The rule says “roll a d10 vs. the Event Check Rating for the Terrain currently occupied.” What is this Event Check Rating? All I can find is the Event Chart. But the event is determined by the range of the die roll, not “equal or less than the Event Check Value (again what is it?)”
Q5b What is the difference between “Events” and “Encounters”?

c. Recruit/Dismiss Allies
Q6 The rule refers to “the previous Section regarding Ally Recruitment”, but the actual section appears later (top of p8). Am I correct?

f. Conduct Battle
Q7 What does “Marshalling Points” mean? Should it be “Force Points” instead?

The Movement chart (p7)
Q8 The chart shows the MP cost for River (2 or 3) and Mountain (3 or 4). However the Special Terrain chart right below shows that the MP cost varies depending on the roll on this chart. Is the Movement Chart wrong?

Victory Conditions (p8)
Q9 How can Valtigorn control the key Citadels? It seems in the whole game Valtigorn does not actively invade any of these except when the Quest cards referring to these citadels are drawn. So am I right to say that Valtigorn takes over these Citadels only when I give up fighting it (not enough FPs) or I am defeated in the battle?

Melee Combat (p9)
1. Form Battle Line
Q10 The rule says “Each Character in Front may shield a Character in the rear”. Does this mean that there are at most two lines of 3 Characters only (1 Character + max. 5 Allies)?

Q11 The “Melee Table” actually applies to all types of combat (magic, ranged, melee). So is it a misnomer and should it be simply called the Combat Table?

Cards
Settlement Event
Q12 Allies (Alluin, Selenn Bright-Dawn): these cards differ from the other Allies cards in that the former requires a test of the Resolve skill instead of Leadership. But the example of Alluin on p3 of the rulebook shows that it takes a Leadership test. Are the cards misprinted?

Wilderness Event
Q13 The first row of the cards back are different from the rest. Should all be the same?

Ruins Event
Q14 Who is the Orc Captain? I can’t find it in the countersheet!

Quest
The last two rows of quests on p2:
Q15 “Scouting Mission”: the first one looks strange as it talks about freeing prisoners. Should it be the similar to the other two Scouting Missions?

Q16 “Slay Demon”: The Demon is not mentioned at all in the Quest! What do we do?

Q17 “Slay”: The card shows a Dragon, but the text only talks about Orcs. Is it a mistake?

Q18 “Rid Shundhat of Undead”: Again it is about “freeing the prisoners”, just the same as the “Rescue Prisoners” quests. I am thinking of changing it to something like “saving the citizens (or villagers)”. What do you think?
(I have actually also changed the three generic rescue missions to rescue the prince/princess/queen. )

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is this game broken and incomplete??
More questions ....

Q19 On p2 the Victory Conditions states that "the Heroes must defend their remaining cities and take back at least three of the following Cities captured by Valdor (Zhindar, Erald-me, Pol’est, Vor’rotho or U’verrak )."
But,
on p7 the Victory Conditions says that "3. Valtigorn Controls all Citadels: Dol-Guldor, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirna and Barad-dur.
4. The Force Players control all Citadels: Dol-Guldor, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirna and Barad-dur. Remaining Characters total their VP and the one with the most wins." All these names are nowhere to be found!

Q20 Another Victory Condition:
"1. Player Destroys “The One Corruption” by taking it to Mount Doom. The Game Ends and the Player with the most VP wins." What is that? There is no "The One Corruption" in the cards and no such place as "Mount Doom" on the map... I suppose this is not a game of LOTR ...

Curiously this game has been taken away from the designer's website and is not available for sale...

... alas, I am beginning to think of having my money back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik von Rossing
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: Is this game broken and incomplete??
Thank you, for your questions and comments. My personal apologies for allowing that many discrepancies to slip by. I have addressed all your questions and concerns and made the appropriate changes and modifications as necessary and have sent you the updated game files. I have, also, created some new rules and changed the Victory Conditions, which I hope have made the game more challenging and enjoyable.

Regarding the LOTR references..... Yes, this game originated out of a personal LOTR game I created for me and my kids and I forgot to take out those references.... oops. They have since been removed.

I did remove the game prior to this posting because I can only have up to 50 games on my website per my web Host's guidelines and had to remove a game. I chose this one because I knew I had some more work to do on it and my Historical Games sell better.

Folks can still purchase it upon request by sending me an email here at BGG.

Regards,
Erik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pleasantly surprised by the prompt response from the designer. All the issues have been answered and dealt with. The revised version is really cool stuff. Will post more about this game after I've finished my redesign version. Kudos to Erik!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates from your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The version I just bought from the website is "version 3.0". It looks like the Rules have been overhauled thoroughly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls