Popular Tags: [View All]
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmb
I have heard complaints about them and some people really don't like the company. I cannot recall the specifics. Could someone fill me in on what is frustrating about them?

The new TTA is basically an insta-buy as long as it is not way over-priced but I am wondering if I need to prepare to get hosed by the publisher in some way.

It may just be me but it seems like they have too small of a print run of some games, that they over price games on kickstarter, that their kickstarters sometimes take longer to arrive then it takes to get the games to Cool Stuff, and the fact they only use Cool Stuff and refuse to use any other online seller is annoying. I am not sure if I am off base on those frustrations or if I am misremembering the issues.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have questions about them due to how they'e used Kickstarter to clear old stock.

Some people have questions about them due to how their Through the Ages 3rd edition looked kind of sketchy.

Some people despise them because they think EGG is ripping off Martin Wallace. (If you really want to get into that, look for current Brass threads).

From my experience, the games I've purchased from them have high quality production levels and are solid games. (Please note that I do NOT buy every game they produced due to game play preferences - IE, Francis Drake is beautifully produced, fairly expensive, but I never bought it since I have no interest in the game.) Prices tend to feel a little higher but a number of designers chimed in during the Galleria Kickstarter with glowing comments about their interaction with EGG.

There are a number of companies that are becoming more and more exclusive in their online retail sails.

I don't think you have to worry about being hosed, but I'm uncertain what you are expressing by said term exactly. Honestly, any time you pre-order or Kickstart a game, you are taking a chance to be hosed. I'm not aware that Eagle has failed to deliver on any pre-order of kickstarter as of yet though and I don't think they've usually been that late on their kickstarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmb
larryjrice wrote:

I don't think you have to worry about being hosed, but I'm uncertain what you are expressing by said term exactly. Honestly, any time you pre-order or Kickstart a game, you are taking a chance to be hosed. I'm not aware that Eagle has failed to deliver on any pre-order of kickstarter as of yet though and I don't think they've usually been that late on their kickstarters.

Thanks for the thorough run down!

I was concerned about a smaller hosing: Getting the game after FOLGS and FLGS and paying more than if I just ordered it from Cool Stuff.

Not a huge deal but annoying to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Kickstarter [...] paying more than if I just ordered it from Cool Stuff.
This is true of most Kickstarter game and game-related projects. It's nothing new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Redward wrote:
This is true of most Kickstarter game and game-related projects. It's nothing new.

Which is why I am not a kickstarter fan. It seems like a lot of companies engage in yucky business practices with it.

My experience with Asmadi Games Kickstarters has been quite good so I trust them. I am sure there are other trustworthy companies just not sure which ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Chang
United States
Burbank
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EGG pledged to backers during the TTA campaign that backers will get updated cards and components to retrofit the 3rd edition to 4th edition. Now that 4th edition is almost out, EGG commented that they can't do it and announced that the case is closed as far as they are concerned.

Redward wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Redward wrote:

Which is why I am not a kickstarter fan. It seems like a lot of companies engage in yucky business practices with it.

My experience with Asmadi Games Kickstarters has been quite good so I trust them. I am sure there are other trustworthy companies just not sure which ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yein
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ticked off by the recent shipping response rant their CEO posted in the Floating Market Kickstarter comments.

Plus there was also some dispute between EGG and game designers like Martin Wallace over possibly unauthorized game Kickstarters.

Frankly, after that rant response, I am likely to believe the side against EGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1459351/extra-payment-shipp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience EGG has poor customer service. I have read many other posts about users who had similar bad experiences trying to contact their customer service department. I have also read posts from users who said that they were amazed how fast EGG responded to their query.

I emailed EGG customer service on 11/30/15 about a damaged game that I received and it took 10 days before Brandon in customer service replied to my email. He asked me for photos and my shipping address. I sent those things the same day and waited. 7 days later I sent a follow-up email asking if he got my last email with the photos and shipping address. Nothing. 8 days after that I sent another email expressing my dissatisfaction with their customer service.

I have had to contact many board game publishers over the years and my experiences with other publishers have been outstanding. I expressed my hopes that I would be hearing back from him soon once the holidays are over. Other than that 1st response I received 10 days after my first contact I have heard nothing back from EGG customer service. It has now been 35 days since my initial email and the problem is still nowhere near resolved. I can't see myself buying any more EGG games in the future. There are far more games out there than I can ever hope to play so I have to pick and choose where to spend my money anyway. Not spending it with Eagle Gryphon Games is an easy choice for me.

edit: 1/12/2016

I am very happy to say that I heard back from Brandon at Eagle-Gryphon today and my issue has finally been resolved. It took longer than I would have liked, but in the end the outcome was better than what I had hoped for. They more than made up for the delay so I am happy with their customer service all in all.
thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Redward wrote:

Then you don't understand Kickstarter. It's to make games happen AT ALL, not to get the best deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Redward wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Redward wrote:

Then you don't understand Kickstarter. It's to make games happen AT ALL, not to get the best deal.

I understand that is what people say but Kickstarter is often used to convince people to pay extra and early for a game that would have been made regardless. It's a very shrude business; the best deal for the production company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Or to make the published version better than it would otherwise be, in terms of components and stuff. Or to get extra stuff which might or might not be made available later and which you don't want to chase down separately.

Kickstarter campaigns are about different things. Read the details before backing, and only back if the difference between backing and buying it when it comes out is worth it to you.

That said, I own a number of EGG games. I like them. I've never backed one on Kickstarter, because it never seemed worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of EGG.

I back some of their KS if it's a game I think I'll like. I backed Francis Drake which I love, The Gallerist, and Baseball Highlights.

They are pricey but man you are getting some great production. It's worth it to me.

My only issue I really had was when I received Francis Drake I was missing the blue cubes. I sent them an email and they did promptly reply that they would send them out but they never did. It wasn't that much of an issue. I had 4 blue cubes laying around but I would have rather had them tell me to figure it out on my own than tell me they would send them but never actually send them.

While there are some questions about their past relationship with Martin Wallace, Vital Lacerda appears pretty happy with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To those of you with outstanding issues, I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with our customer service.

There are two issues I know we have:

---Holiday Rush - we have been slow getting back to people from Nov through the Holidays. Two huge conventions, several containers worth of games and the Holiday Sales all in the same quarter put our warehouse team to task. And in most cases they came through with flying colors.

---Spam Folder - we have a problem with email going to our spam folder from our website from certain email addresses. This has been ongoing for some time and we still trying to get it resolved. Customer Service does check that folder as often as possible, but it is annoying for both sides when it happens.

If you do have any outstanding issues, please email us directly at customer-service@eagle-gryphon.com and let them know specifically what your issue is and I am certain they will do their best to help. I communicate with them daily during the business week and know they do their best to be responsive. Clearly we are not at 100% satisfaction here, but overall I think we do very well.

In the case of damaged items, especially shipping cartons, we do request pictures to help with either the factory or insurance claims. It also helps us identify exactly what you need. In the era of digital cameras everywhere, this is a pretty easy bar to clear.

I hope this helps, and I do hope you will follow up with any outstanding issues.

Best regards,
Ralph

For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls