9 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » Variants

Subject: [TESTED] New solitaire version - this one may blow you away! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb

This version of Solitaire for Stone Age was designed to challenge a player for board space occupancy, and victory points through a random but aggressive simulated competition.

The two player rules apply for this variation which uses the basic Stone Age game only, not the expansion sorry.

In addition to the basic game, you also need two different-colored ten-sided dice (0-9 faces) for the AI dummy player.

Set up the game for two player as you normally would. However, the dummy player does not require food or resources. Where he would normally give or receive these things is always ignored. Denote one of the ten-sided die as the primary (ie: the black one), and the other as the secondary (ie: the red one).

Start and play the two-player game as per usual. The mechanics for the dummy player's turn are as follows.

Throw the two ten-sided dice. Place only one of the dummy player's people (except for the hut which requires two) as per the throw of the primary die, and also secondary where needed. (Note: Although the secondary die is not always needed, for expediency it is easier to throw both at once). See the board image above to guide you at a glance (black numbers=primary die, red numbers=secondary die). Here is a detailed description.

Primary Secondary
0 Civilization card 0-3 Right
4-6 Second from right
7-8 Second from left
9 Left

1 Building stack 0-4 Right
5-9 Left
2 Hunting Grounds
3 Forest
4 Clay Pit
5 Quarry
6 River
7 Tool Maker
8 Hut
9 Field

I have designed this variation to minimize dice throws for the dummy, hence if the move as given by the dice is illegal, rather than throw the dice again (and again and again...) the following mechanics come into play.

For this to work, I have put the spaces into groups. If there are no legal spaces in a group, then the next group is checked for a legal space. The order of group movement is shown in the image with black arrows which includes two options; option B will make the AI more aggressive in getting buildings which mean more VPs. Here they are in writing.

Resources: Forest, clay pit, quarry, river. To find a legal space if space given by the dice is illegal, first check to the immediate left within the group, then keep moving left. If no legal space is found that way, then move to the right. If entering from previous group (Hunt), start from the left.

Civilization Cards: Check secondary die first and see if move is legal. If not, start checking to the right with the cards, but if no legal space found in that direction, then start moving to the left.

Buildings: Check secondary die first. If move is illegal, use remaining spot if it exists.

Production: Tool maker, hut, field. If move illegal, check to the left, then right if necessary. (remember in two player, only two of the three spots are allowed to be occupied). If entering from previous group (A-buildings, B-Cards), then start from the right.

The dummy player's round is resolved as follows - remove people from hunting grounds and resource spots. No food or resources are collected. Remove people from production buildings and receive what is normally gotten from there -tool, another person, and moving up the food track. Resolve whether or not cards and buildings are taken, moving from right to left by throwing a ten-sided die for each one. If the die throw equals or exceeds the number of resources that would have been required to buy the card or building, then the dummy player owns it. Items for dice cards are resolved as usual - the dummy player always takes the higher throw. The VPs the AI gets from buildings are always the maximum received as if he was a real player.

The main mechanics of this game have been tested pretty much to my satisfaction. There may be some tweaking required with VPs. Let me know what you think, but I'm pretty sure you'll find this version of solitaire is an enjoyable experience once you understand the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deserves a try. Thanks for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Box
Mexico
Querétaro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've saved this to give a try when I get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any feedback yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1ST feed! This mornign I've tried your variant and been beaten by Automa 265-248...but not sure if rolling for each Bot Worker allows me to put them in a resource space already occupied by other/s Bot Workers...
Tried easy version (just "A" shiftings) and felt a little overwhelmed in the first part because of the Automa gaining cards on cards, but when maxed Agricolture out parts were inverted and I controlled the board more efficently
Going to try this out again asap
Good Job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 player rules, only 1 player per resource space. All 2 player rules apply, so if the dice thrown causes a rule to be broken, then follow the map which is designed so a re-throw is not required. Since you cannot add more of the same player bots to the same resource later, that rule also applies. Thx for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty Gamer wrote:
2 player rules, only 1 player per resource space. All 2 player rules apply, so if the dice thrown causes a rule to be broken, then follow the map which is designed so a re-throw is not required. Since you cannot add more of the same player bots to the same resource later, that rule also applies. Thx for the feedback.

Fine.
But then my question is:
you've got a total of 13 spots (4 civilization cards, 2 buildings, 2 production, 1 hunting, 4 resources)

How do I manage to put 20 workers in the last part of the game?
According to rules Bot could need up to 10 spaces by itself (max 1/space since workers cannot be placed a second time on an already occupied space), given that I may put multiple workers on 1 space, but spaces are limited and some workers cannot be placed...
Can you please explain me where do I got it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can always share the hunting space. Leave hunting as the last option which strategically you should do in any case.

I guess if there is no room left for the dummy player then it can't use the remaining meeples. It's not a real player so it doesn't matter. I haven't come across that problem myself by I haven't play tested it that much.

If a real player runs out of space then I assume that could happen in a proper game of only real players but leaving hunting till last should solve that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty Gamer wrote:
You can always share the hunting space. Leave hunting as the last option which strategically you should do in any case.

I guess if there is no room left for the dummy player then it can't use the remaining meeples. It's not a real player so it doesn't matter. I haven't come across that problem myself by I haven't play tested it that much.

If a real player runs out of space then I assume that could happen in a proper game of only real players but leaving hunting till last should solve that problem.

Fair! So I guess Dummy could put workers several times on the Hunting Space (instead of just not using them) in the same round (as a kind of "dumping" space)...this would do the job!
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls