Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I got a game years back. Never opened it. I break it out the other night and I count the pieces. I'm missing two money pieces. Not that it's a big deal, but, it raises a poll...

Poll
Do you inventory your pieces of games you've bought used?
  Yes No
Big items (board, large pieces) that one would obviously notice
Items there are less than 10 of
Items there are less than 30 of
Items there are less than 70 of
ALL of the items
All of the cards in the deck
Just the special stuff I can't substitute
All of the money is present (if applicable)
Only the play-critical pieces
      223 answers
Poll created by bippi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Always, though if it is used I know I am getting it "as is", I don't complain as long as the issues aren't too major.

also w/ Kickstarters. I've found a few issues before,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Full inventory.

Doesn't take but 5 minutes to get the list from the instructions or online, and run through the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I inventory even games I buy straight from the company immediately. I have found I was short a piece once in such. The company happy and quickly sent me the missing part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Full inventory.

Doesn't take but 5 minutes to get the list from the instructions or online, and run through the pieces.

Try telling that to the traders. The amount of times I've received games with missing components is ludicrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything. Otherwise you'll find out down the road when it's too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can I check the lot, and if it says complete that is what I expect. Money I am less concerned with (mainly becasue it is not always listed), but I will check if there is a list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Hillean wrote:
Full inventory.

Try telling that to the traders. The amount of times I've received games with missing components is ludicrous.
I would add that for a game like The Struggle of the nations it takes bloody hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately, always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thunkd wrote:

...as I have. It's wayyyyy late to do anything about it (really, really, really out of print)

This thread bothers me, because it hadn't occurred to me to inventory any of my games. Now, I'm about to do a good majority of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do that even for factory-sealed games I buy from stores. And I have had quite a few cases of missing components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always inventory everything, especially from eBay. If they say it is all there, it had better be all there. I do not suffer sellers that falsely advertise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no to everything.

i should though.

i've never gotten a game with missing pieces, but i have gotten ones with extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I inventory every single piece as soon as I get a game. Whether that means punching it brand new or having received it in trade.

Plus, when I have all the components in little piles, I like to read how the game is setup and maybe even some of the rules. It lets me know how best to store it, which pieces should be stored together, and whether planos or baggies make more sense.

The box contents organization mini-game comes free with every board game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
I inventory every single piece as soon as I get a game. Whether that means punching it brand new or having received it in trade.

This!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:

The box contents organization mini-game comes free with every board game!

So true! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
I inventory games i get used, but not new. I also don't typically bother counting stuff like money or life counters or whatever, unless they're limited and its important you have them all our whatever.

Also I bag up/organize everything at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comicbookhero wrote:
I always inventory everything, especially from eBay. If they say it is all there, it had better be all there. I do not suffer sellers that falsely advertise.

While I agree that this is good practice and should always be done, I would suggest that missing pieces are not always the result of nefarious intentions. Sometimes these items come from people who simply don't know any better. Honestly, can you imagine how a game with a lot of bits looks to a non-hobbyist? Probably pretty bewildering ("what the heck is a meeple?!") Contacting the seller and trying to work things out civilly, before going straight for the guns, is usually the best for all involved. At the very least, you are more likely to get things resolved that way. Remember, eBay has policies in place that protect both sellers and buyers. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt, when possible. I mean, people make mistakes sometimes.

I've even used this to my advantage. Once, I bid on an auction in which the actual piece count listed in the game's inventory was incorrect (a misprint in the rules and on the box). The seller did not really know or pay attention to this (despite my question to him on the auction item), but more importantly the other bidders (apparently) did not know it either. I got a rare, OOP game for very cheap this way, as it probably appeared incomplete.

OP: there is a slight flaw in your poll. If one should choose "yes" for "Inventory ALL items," there is no need to answer any of the other questions. Answering them "no" would be technically incorrect, and "yes" redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wilkinson
England
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

It's a good practice but even if you find something missing (much) later on, I've found that board game companies are pretty exceptional in helping you with missing pieces, even where it's not technically their purview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilko18 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

It's a good practice but even if you find something missing (much) later on, I've found that board game companies are pretty exceptional in helping you with missing pieces, even where it's not technically their purview.
Depends on the company. Zman for example, not so much. Either way, good luck getting anything from an Ebay seller down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I inventory everything as soon as it arrives. When I trade, I inventory everything before I post it, and again before I ship...

I got burned once with missing pieces and a slightly damaged box on a BGG auction. The seller's auction said he only played it a few times. When I contacted him, he asked for pictures *SMH* then used the excuse that he never played it, and was just reselling it. He refunded my money for the game, but since I bought multiple items from him, I can't help but feel like I paid in an increased shipping cost because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inventory everything new or used. With used it's often Caveat Emptor, but at least I know what I have and am not surprised when I do get to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schmauss
United States
Lacombe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hate (HATE!) it when I purchase a game from anyone and it is not what the seller has said. I don't think some times they get the difference between acceptable and good, just trying to bait us in. I can get by with some counters missing but if the maps are damaged that just pisses me off.
Then charging a lot extra to ship cause it is so valuable, just extra money to cheat us. But as snowman882 said it's often Caveat Emptor. You would think sellers in our hobby would try not to cheat us but making money is the name of our game.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I inventory everything I receive, as well as do complete inventories of my items before I accept trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
I got a game years back. Never opened it. I break it out the other night and I count the pieces. I'm missing two money pieces. Not that it's a big deal, but, it raises a poll...
This part doesn't process in my brain. As soon as I get a game, regardless of where it comes from, I open and inventory it. That's part of the fun of getting a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |