Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm going to buy a rather belated christmas gift to each of my two nices (10 and 12 years). Boardgames is an intressting concept, if I find anything that fits them. Probably with rules that are easy to get, and is good for two player gameing (as their parrents is of the stressed out, much work todo kind)?

Suggestions? (Would be nice if I would like it to, to game with them when I'm visiting, but thats not primar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Ticket to Ride or TtR:Europe? My 14-year old brother likes it, it's easy to learn, colorful, and a game that age group would probably enjoy. It depends whether they'd like a train-themed game or not, too.

I haven't gotten the chance to experiment with too many games, but that's the one that came to mind first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats kind of hard to know. But It's a good sugestion acctually (and how know after christmas it might even be on sale (= ).

But I might add my first thought was two diffrent games , one for each one of them, so they get you know the nice feeling of a big hard box with scrambling when you happen to shake it a bit... Ah the christmas of childhoods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell us anything more about their interestests, hobbies, etc.?

Do they alreday like board games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I know, I have lived to far away from them for quite sometime. ):

The 10 year old is attending a school with focus on music, so thats pretty much takes her time if I got it right (might be soccer in there too)

The 12 year old climbs (walls indoor sort of thing, acctualy that might be both of them),gymnastics, soccer to I think, listening to music and enjoys friends.

Oh and according to my mum, quite to much computer use (well she said "just like you").

Quite typical for there age. Oh I do hope they have time for boardgames... (but then as I said, their parrents has litle time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! is an easy game that could be enjoyed by all ages.

It's good with two players but then it's too cutthroat for my taste personally. The gameplay is not as cute as the game looks. I prefer at least three players which adds a dimension of uncertainness.

I think that the Scandinavian edition is called "Pingwin".

Through the Desert has easy rules and more ways to win but it's also very cutthroat with only two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Small cute animals is always good (=
hmm Pingwin or Pingvin?

oh and searching for that I found a nice article in swedish
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1060&a=593854&previ...
(for those how reads our language). I think it mentions BGG rankings too...

I post a translation if it somewhere more fiting, it's quite intresting.
(mentions Boardgames growing, a local gameing center: Dragons Lair (it's both internet cafe, CCG and boardgame store...)

sorry for going abit off-topic in my own thread.

Oh and it's the correct spelling Pingvin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Default User
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Burzum wrote:
Hey, That's My Fish! is an easy game that could be enjoyed by all ages.

I was going to suggest the same. But isn't the Scandinavian edition called "Hej! That's my Fisk!"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aquoiboniste wrote:
isn't the Scandinavian edition called "Hej! That's my Fisk!"?

I wish.

By the way, I just read an article by Virre on http://www.bradspel.net/ where he mentions that Swedish translation of The Settlers of Catan is "The Settlers från Catan" which makes it a very international title.

The article in Dagens Nyheter says that Hey That's My Fish is translated to Pingvin but it also mentions "Caracasonne".

Unless they've made a another version now it should go by the title "Pingwin".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking up the game some more, it's the paper thats wrong. They probably have somekind of automatic spelling in their computers. Oh it says Pengwin that can't be right. Sigh. (And well the article was just me beeing abit angry at both that bloody english/german/swedish translation of Settlers and of the fact that they didn't translate pictonary correct, vaccum as in nothing sucks like electrolux, not as in the absence of air. gah)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end it become Ticket To Ride (I didn't seem to find Pingwin anywhere... But I'l look some more... I think two presents for two persons is better.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
The final update and how it did go... First off I did get them Pingwin (sic, Hey, That's my fish) also.
And today I gave them the gifts. Lets start off with this account in commeting on Hey, thats my fish from the first game of the year geeklist:

"
yes, this become my first (irl) to. Gave it to nices together with ticket to ride, they throw themself over it. I have hope in the oldest of them ("I love playing boardgames" (well actualy what she said translates according to my lexicon as "partygame" but I'm quite sure she meant boardgame))

I did lose the first game to my nice, The second game I won but in the end round ending up one fish short of nice. And my sister was loosing all the time. *Sigh* "

We didn't get no chance to play Ticket to Ride due to, well nobody felt for reading the rules, and I had to rush off after the Pingwin game.

(arghhhh!, I wan't to scream every time I say that stupid translation)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.