Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to put this out there so first time players are well aware of a very important concept.

You must never leave Yggdrasil unprotected. If a player is able to Pillage Yggdrasil twice in a game, they will likely win.

The easiest way to score a Pillage of Yggdrasil is to have a unit in Yggdrasil at the start of a round as the first player. It's made infinitely easier if your opponents have no units on the map. This isn't as likely to happen in a 3 or 4 player game, but it could be quite possible in a 2 player game.

There are a lot of things to balance, but I would warn you to never start the 2nd or 3rd age with zero units on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uzix uzikas
United Kingdom
Crawley
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just by watching this game being played, I had a house rule in my head - "You can`t pledge on your first turn"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Beaudoin
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In a 3 player game I tried to pillage Yggdrasil once and everyone came in the middle.I then used the Tyr card that turns combat cards into glory points and forces opponents to play a new card. Once I won that combat. The board was now empty and I used the clan power that allows you to pillage an area a second time for rage for a second pillaging of Yggdrasil that same age. The upgrade glory points at the end of the game blew the competition away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
simland wrote:
I just wanted to put this out there so first time players are well aware of a very important concept.

You must never leave Yggdrasil unprotected. If a player is able to Pillage Yggdrasil twice in a game, they will likely win.

The easiest way to score a Pillage of Yggdrasil is to have a unit in Yggdrasil at the start of a round as the first player. It's made infinitely easier if your opponents have no units on the map. This isn't as likely to happen in a 3 or 4 player game, but it could be quite possible in a 2 player game.

There are a lot of things to balance, but I would warn you to never start the 2nd or 3rd age with zero units on the map.

I was literally coming on here to post this very thing. The first game of this we played, one player had three guys - alone - in Yggdrasil during the beginning of the second age. We all realized at the same time the "oh $hi*" moment, and that player definitely ended up destroying everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simland wrote:

Sorry to necro the thread, but in my one and only play (4p), I dominated Yggdrasil, pillaging it twice (it was re-pillaged once by someone else and that was it)... and ended up third; two points from second but first had a huge margin on us. It's possible I threw too many resources into Yggdrasil, prioritising the Heimdall's combat cards very highly. I also forwent many quest cards which the eventual winner used to score 30 points in age 2. He was on my left so I really have only myself to blame unfortunately.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that my anecdotal evidence does not make the advice invalid; in fact, I believe it's completely true. Just wanted to grouse a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Foss
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orntt wrote:
simland wrote:

Sorry to necro the thread, but in my one and only play (4p), I dominated Yggdrasil, pillaging it twice (it was re-pillaged once by someone else and that was it)... and ended up third; two points from second but first had a huge margin on us. It's possible I threw too many resources into Yggdrasil, prioritising the Heimdall's combat cards very highly. I also forwent many quest cards which the eventual winner used to score 30 points in age 2. He was on my left so I really have only myself to blame unfortunately.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that my anecdotal evidence does not make the advice invalid; in fact, I believe it's completely true. Just wanted to grouse a bit

To add on to this thread, I can say that this doesn't absolutely guarantee victory as I was able to pillage Yggdrasil many times in a 4P game (my mystics couldn't die, so I pillaged Yggdrasil a grand total of 4 times and maxed all but 1 clan stat!) and ended up second at a respectable 89 Glory, but I still ended up getting almost lapped by the player who had adopted the 'ships for glory' strategy. He had the two upgrades that total 12 glory per killed ship, the Sea Serpent, and the 'Invade from Valhalla for 1 rage' card. He kept throwing ships at hopeless combat AND Ragnarok, getting glory every step of the way. It was ridiculous.

The moral of the story was that ships are under-appreciated, and after our third play, we now know to defensively draft against the ship cards if we see somebody moving that way. Yes defend Yggdrasil, but also defend against ship dominance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls