Subject: Beseiged Strongholds / Companions / the Fellowship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Companions "can never leave or enter a region containing a friendly Stronghold besieged by an enemy." (rulebook, p. 24).

However, "The Fellowship may enter or leave a besieged Stronghold freely." (rulebook, p. 38).

I'm wondering if there's a loophole of sorts here.

If a friendly Stronghold is under siege, could (1) the Fellowship enter the Stronghold and (2) a Companion (or Companions) separate from the Fellowship while there and (3) assist in defending the Stronghold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes

2) Yes - they are not leaving the Stronghold

3) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Every time I re-read the rulebook I pick up something else I didn't
know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the fellowship never entered strongholds, only regions, since they're not considered companions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
I thought the fellowship never entered strongholds, only regions, since they're not considered companions?

Yes, but if a Companion is separated when the Fellowship is in a Region containing a besieged FP Stronghold (FP inside the Stronghold), the Companion gets separated into the siege as it isn't allowed to leave a region containing a besieged FP Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes thematic sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:

Yes, but if a Companion is separated when the Fellowship is in a Region containing a besieged FP Stronghold (FP inside the Stronghold), the Companion gets separated into the siege as it isn't allowed to leave a region containing a besieged FP Army.

So why can't the companion just exist on its own outside the stronghold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My simple answer: Thematicly speaking they cannot really abandon the free peoples, they are sort of their heroes and leaders.

Gamewise: As FP you would remove your companions just before the siege ends, such that you can preserve them for later battles. In my opinion that does not sound really fair or balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drjmcmillan wrote:
So why can't the companion just exist on its own outside the stronghold?
I believe the answer is if the FSP is in a Stronghold region, it is always in the Stronghold, or at least there is no provision for it not to be. So if a Companion separates within a besieged Stronghold, he cannot leave it - mechanics-wise only the FSP is that sneaky/lucky, and thematically the Companions are held back by duty once they've resigned from the quest of the ring. For Companions exit/entry of a Stronghold under siege is by exception only (via Event card play - in via Gwaihir or We Prove The Swifter, out via Deadmen of Dunharrow - plus a certain freshly reincarnated wizard airdropped into an Elven Stronghold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LotR
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 39 under separating companions: "Note that if the Ring-bearers figure is currently located in a region containing a Stronghold under siege that is controlled by the Free Peoples, the Companion(s) will separate into the Stronghold and may not leave."

I found that just now. I learn something new each time I look at the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls