Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game a few times now and I'm wondering what it is called in english and if it's in the BGG database. In dutch we call it "heeren".

How it works:
You need 2 deck of cards. From the first deck you take 1 J, Q, K and A (or 4 K's) in different suits. These cards are layed out next to each other. Everybody gets some coins places 1 coin on every card and 1 in a seperate pile. The second deck is dealt out completely and then the game starts. A player must lay a card down if he can. If he can't he must place a coin in the pile.
What can be played?
The first card in a row must be a 7. After a 7 any card in the same suit can be played in that row, as long as it's 1 higher or lower then the cards on the end.
If you play the same card as the J/Q/K/A from the other deck, you get the coins on it.
The first one to play all his cards, ends the round and takes the coin in the pile. Then the deck is shuffled, dealt again and everybody places 1 coin on every card and 1 in the pile. (If the matching J/Q/K/A isn't played, the coins from the previous round remain on the card!)

Anyone?
If it isn't in the BGG DB yet, should I add it?

If I gave someone a new game to play: Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
That sounds like a variant of Newmarket merged with Fan Tan. My family played both, but never combined like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
card games get a bit blurry when it comes to names and rules.
To me it sounds like a version of sevens
( uhhhhhh maybe Fan Tan ...hey post above me, do you actually call it this? )
There's also a rummy royal mat that's I think this Tripoley
I see some other names that sound familiar like "kitty" but if I were to pick out one my vote is "sevens"

I'd say put your rules under the fan tan variants or something....Naming and agreeing on rules becomes a very messy job, ask me again when I finally find a definitive hoyal rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
card games get a bit blurry when it comes to names and rules.
To me it sounds like a version of sevens
( uhhhhhh maybe Fan Tan ...hey post above me, do you actually call it this? )
We called it Sevens. Didn't play it that much because younger siblings had trouble with holding so many cards at once. Newmarket we played a LOT, often for real money (pennies though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fan Tan sounds as the game, but it uses no coins and no 2nd deck of cards. Couldn't find much on newmarket, so not sure if you're right about that. I will consider putting it up in the variants section of Fan Tan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renate Cloake
United Kingdom
Worthing
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
Fan Tan sounds as the game, but it uses no coins and no 2nd deck of cards. Couldn't find much on newmarket, so not sure if you're right about that. I will consider putting it up in the variants section of Fan Tan.
Interestingly, Newmarket doesn't really seem to be in the database - the version linked above is a stand-alone published version and has very little description.
Here's the way we play Newmarket (bear in mind traditional card games often vary by family and geography):
Newmarket wrote:
-Take the J,Q,K,A from different suits and lay them face up. These are the horses. Place the rest of the deck face down to form the dead horse.
-Everyone places a coin on a horse of their choice, another on the dead horse and a third in the kitty.
-Deal the second deck entirely. The dealer deals himself 2 hands. He can look at his first hand and either switch to the other or auction it off to the other players.
-2 of clubs starts and players follow on sequentially. If the next card in sequence isn't available, the player who was last to play lays down their lowest card (red, if the last card played was black and vice versa) and play resumes.
-If you play a horse, claim all the money on that horse.
-The first player to play all their cards claims the money in the kitty.
-The top card of the dead horse is turned over and the player who played it claims the money on the dead horse. If noone played that card, the money rolls over to the next round.
So you can see why people are thinking that your game looks like Newmarket - the difference is on the rules which govern how you can play the cards on the table, which do sound like sevens (Fan Tan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls