Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I want to ask for some recommendations on a new game, but I would prefer a game that is quite different than the games in my collection. I'm looking to go outside the box that I usually stay in when it comes to getting new games. I feel like I have a good variety of games, but want to limit the number of games that are similar.

Here are the requirements that are needed when looking for a good game:
1) 2 hours or less
2) Optimal at 3 player but could play more or less

Thanks! I look forward to seeing what games will be recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XCOM: The Board Game is probably the best game I've ever played that fosters that "co-op" vibe because everyone is so completely different yet so equal, and you're all interacting and helping each other as much as you can. Plays great from 2-4 players, 90-120m.

March of the Ants is awesome. 60 Minutes, it's a lite-4X game that plays best with 3-4, in my experience.

Chicago Express is so great, a very deep financial railroad game with such simple rules. Best with 3-5 (6 with the expansion). 60m

Tammany Hall parallels CE in some ways but it's even meaner. Still very simply rules, plays in about 2 hours. Great game with 3, best with 4-5.

In the realtime vein, Space Alert is mindblowingly good if the idea of multithreaded procedural programming appeals to you. I personally love it at all player counts, even 1! Games take 30 minutes but this is in no way a light filler. It is a blast and hilarious, though. There's also a campaign option of 3 missions. The expansion brings a LOT of awesome stuff too but don't delve into it until you're a master planner. Love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Space Alert and found it interesting, but have yet to find a coop that we want to play. We prefer our own agendas rather than working together on a collective agenda. I had purchased Dead of Winter, but traded it away due to the mature content on the cards. Loving the recommendations that are coming in. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alazṓn Theatre
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb

And Now For Something Completely Different... The Board Game

Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spotted a lot of "Need to get it on the table." Do that first, starting with Troyes

How about Arcadia Quest, Tikal, Village ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Innovation (around an hour, we play with 3, some prefer the 2-player experience with a little less chaos)

Core Worlds (we usually play with 3 consistently in 2 hours) There are two great expansions Galactic Orders and Revolution).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is out of the box for ya! Optimal players:3 (1-5 can be accomodated for) Play time is 120 Min. I have played with the min and the max amount of players and enjoy the game quite a bit. Play time is darn close.

Galaxy Defenders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution! - my best recommendation. Same game weight as most you like if not lighter. Its head to head which I think your missing but its done in a nice new bluff type way. One minus is you can't play with 2.

+1 to uhhh well all the recomendations above me lol

I'll also suggest Small World too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you current on recording plays? If not, then I'd say you really don't need to buy a new game.

Play one of these games you own that is presumably unplayed:
Tigris & Euphrates
Lords of Xidit
Lords of Waterdeep
Airlines Europe
Brass
Madeira
Asgard
Hansa Teutonica
Lewis and Clark
Noblemen
Princes of Florence

With the possible exceptions of Brass and Madeira, I think all of these play in under two hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another 'out of your wheelhouse' games:

Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner

This game may itch your cranium for something different. Its outside the box for sure, looking at your list. The expansions available for the system keeps the game fresh for years to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argent: The Consortium would be a very different type of game for you, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels - after checking with your collection, this is what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops

Fastball down the middle Ameritrash. Dudes on a map. Roll dice. Kill other players' dudes. Gain resources. Make more dudes. Lather rinse repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection maybe a hidden movement game would be good and different.

I'm personally waiting on the new Fury of Dracula edition but there are some others such as Specter Ops, Letters from Whitechapel or Scotland yard which may also suit your fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My new favorite would be Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Fantastic game and there really is nothing like it out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into these ones. They are all fun and hit the table quite often in my group. Saboteur is especially fun. It is a bluffing game, but with good mechanics.
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre
Wiz-War (eighth edition)
Saboteur
Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got no wargames in your collection. So outside of the box for you? Something "quite different than the games in my collection"?

Combat Commander: Europe or Combat Commander: Pacific (if you'd prefer the PTO).

Or perhaps the #1 game on BGG?

Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
Are you current on recording plays? If not, then I'd say you really don't need to buy a new game.

Tigris & Euphrates
Lords of Xidit
Lords of Waterdeep
Airlines Europe
Brass
Madeira
Asgard
Hansa Teutonica
Lewis and Clark
Noblemen
Princes of Florence

With the possible exceptions of Brass and Madeira, I think all of these play in under two hours.

You are correct I still have many games that need to be played (and probably don't need a new one at this time). My collection is growing, but I don't want to dilute it. My goal is to play all of them, get feedback from my gaming group and then trade what we won't play away for other games that we may want to add. Some of the games mentioned so far on this thread will be ones I add to my wish list and end up trading for. My biggest problem is buying games, and not having the time to play them. I can't be the only one here with that bad habit, right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
You've got no wargames in your collection. So outside of the box for you? Something "quite different than the games in my collection"?

Combat Commander: Europe or Combat Commander: Pacific (if you'd prefer the PTO).

Or perhaps the #1 game on BGG?

Twilight Struggle

Can't go wrong with TS. after a couple plays with the same opponent you might get it down to 2hours.

To get your foot into the door with hex and counter though I would go for Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42

Or Standard Combat Series the smaller scenario's could be around 2 hours...if you don't count set-up. The rules are a really great intro in war gamming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Vézina
Canada
N-D-île-Perrot
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game I love with 3 players, is played in about 1,inexpensive and has tons of replay-ability.

Arctic Scavengers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if you want a war/political game that plays well with 3 you can try
Maria or Churchill
Both were designed for 3.

Edit: Maria may be a bit longer than you want, but Churchill's tournament scenario clocks in around 2 hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12thManStanding wrote:
kendahlj wrote:

Tigris & Euphrates
Lords of Xidit
Lords of Waterdeep
Airlines Europe
Brass
Madeira
Asgard
Hansa Teutonica
Lewis and Clark
Noblemen
Princes of Florence

You are correct I still have many games that need to be played (and probably don't need a new one at this time). My collection is growing, but I don't want to dilute it. My goal is to play all of them, get feedback from my gaming group and then trade what we won't play away for other games that we may want to add. Some of the games mentioned so far on this thread will be ones I add to my wish list and end up trading for. My biggest problem is buying games, and not having the time to play them. I can't be the only one here with that bad habit, right...

Sometimes it's just fun to buy a new game. Or games, since you definitely have to fill the shopping cart with enough games for free shipping... But there are some really good games on this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Married Board-Gamers
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You may like The Palaces of Carrara if you can find a copy (its language independent). It's quite different from those i can see in your collection. However, it's rondel mechanic may have some overlap with Trajan, but i am not quite sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 XCOM: The Board Game
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XCOM: The Board Game is deffinitely different and an amazing game. You just have to have tablet devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |