Subject: Anything similar to Robinson Crusoe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the wife and I finally got around to playing this game. I watched a ton of videos on it with
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
being the best by far on teaching how to play this game.

Anyhow... we absolutely loved it and it could be one of the best games I've ever played.

What we liked about it:

1 Theme
2 Variable Setup
3 "sandbox" feel
4 problem solving
5 Varied gameplay every time
6 The Challenge

I could go on and on, but after figuring out how to play, this game just blew us away.

So with that... are there other games which play like this?

How are Ignacy Trzewiczek other games in comparison? We own Nations (although we haven't played it yet), so Imperial Settlers would probably be out, but I am open to opinions.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm curious to know if there are any games similar to Robinson Crusoe as well. So far it seems that it's the only one of it's kind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I would say its like Robinson Crusoe, but Firefly: The Game certainly hits all those bullet points.

For me personally, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island fights with Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game for table time. They are both challenging scenario-based variable-setup co-op games, where you are trying to survive, explore, and kind of build up a community through planning and problem-solving. (Dead of Winter has a traitor though, so its not a pure co-op.) Both have random event cards that not only make things harder, but encourage tough decisions. I usually play Dead of Winter with more players, and Robinson Crusoe when I have fewer players.

You might also be interested in Chaosmos for its randomized setup and sandbox-like feel. Here, the problem-solving comes from a constant state of deduction and subterfuge against the board and against other players. It's not a co-op game. It's more like a treasure hunt. A powerful artifact is hidden somewhere in one of the board locations or the hand of another player. You are trying to explore locations, while trading cards in and out of your hand to secretly prepare particular strategies, that will help you find and defend the artifact. Whoever is holding it at the end of the last round is the winner. Along the way, you may build up an arsenal of advanced weapons, develop unique defenses to particular weapons, invest in speed and teleportation, find life support equipment to explore toxic locations, find keys or establish locked vaults, set traps, build a defensive home base, and more. All the while, though, you have to keep your eye on the prize -- find the artifact, or keep track of who currently has the artifact, or who had the artifact last, or who is acting like they might have it... and what defenses did they have, and have they hidden it away somewhere...? You get the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
I'm curious to know if there are any games similar to Robinson Crusoe as well. So far it seems that it's the only one of it's kind.

From what I have read, Eldritch Horror is a bit similar, but doesn't really have the sandbox feel that Robinson Crusoe has. There has to be something out there I am missing though.

I have to say, it is a fantastically designed game and like Agricola a masterpiece. Wish it was rated higher though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love RC. Hate DoW. EH isn't nearly as good as RC.

One thing that is very strong in Ignacy is his, "telling stories through board games." The other game of his which I played which I felt that the strongest was Witcher. Where playing your character immersively ended up the best way for it to maximize points.

For the other things which you like try Xia: Legends of a Drift System.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castaways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
I watched a ton of videos on it with
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
being the best by far on teaching how to play this game.
I also really like Rick's work, but...

Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

...did the best job with explaining Robinson Crusoe in my opinion. Not saying this to cause some argument, but to inform other readers looking for another good video tutorial.

Anyway:

Moe45673 wrote:
I personally don't like this game, but that is indeed a very solid recommendation, as it offers all the aspects you listed before. And if you already managed Robinson Crusoe's rules complexity, Mage Knight won't be that huge of a step up.

Other great aspects about Mage Knight: you can play it in different ways (cooperative, competitive, solo), excellent replay value (different characters with unique skills, modularity, scenarios, ect.), miniatures and overall component quality.

Michael "Grumsh" also did a fantastic video tutorial series about this pretty complex game.

And no, I'm not getting paid by him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that in another thread I just recommended Robinson Crusoe to someone looking for a game similar to Arkham Horror, I suppose the reverse might also make sense.

Sure, gameplay is completely different and it's more Ameritrash than Euro, but both games are dripping with theme, have great encounters, and infinite replayability (instead of scenarios, you're facing different Ancient Ones and Heralds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls