Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Battlestar Galactics the base game is my favorite hidden traitor game.

Im debating on picking up all the expansions for BSG, that or picking up this.

I understand this started out as BSG lite or something. Just trying to find out if i should buy this instead or go ahead and get the expansions.

Or are they two very different games? are they both worth getting?

One thing however I have a player in my group that played BSG but dosnt find it fun (Hoping the expansions fix that) he feels that all hes doing is getting skill cards and stopping crisis.

any advice would be helpful.

http://strawpoll.me/5183043

Ive asked this on both the BSG board and the Dark Moon board so I can get both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch Joel's review. He sums it up nicely.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/71134/dark-moon/drivethr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Dark Moon, so I won't comment on that.

However, I do have two of the BSG expansions. At first I thought they were awesome. But as I played more and more with them, I realized what I really loved was the base BSG experience, and the expansions just muddy it up.

The only thing I really like about the expansions are is the Cylon Fleet in daybreak. And of course Daybreak is the only expansion I DON'T have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call him
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have 3 hours to play? Do you have a plan for something else to play if the game ends in half that time? Do you have exactly 5 people? Then play BSG.

If not, Dark Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everyone says play with exactly 5, most of my games are with 4 and I love it, ive played with 5 a few times and it is the sweet spot ill give you that, but we always use a variant where we have YANAC equal to double the number of players, then add the Cylons after... so we have a chance of not even having the cylons.

We like the idea that we may be tearing ourselves apart for no reason, we have lost so many gamaes just because of our paranoia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
everyone says play with exactly 5, most of my games are with 4 and I love it, ive played with 5 a few times and it is the sweet spot ill give you that, but we always use a variant where we have YANAC equal to double the number of players, then add the Cylons after... so we have a chance of not even having the cylons.

We like the idea that we may be tearing ourselves apart for no reason, we have lost so many gamaes just because of our paranoia.

Woah! Well that's quite a different game then.

You should try Dead of Winter. That's exactly how the betrayer works. DoW is currently my go-to traitor game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
[q="WolfVonhinslik"]everyone says play with exactly 5, most of my games are with 4 and I love it, ive played with 5 a few times and it is the sweet spot ill give you that, but we always use a variant where we have YANAC equal to double the number of players, then add the Cylons after... so we have a chance of not even having the cylons.

I have DoW as well, we like it, but I dont know if its that I prefer the SyFy theme better or what... but something about DoW puts it beneath BSG for me.

Maybe its the downtime between everyone turns. BSG where everyone is involved in a crisis every turn it keeps everyone involved the whole game. plus I like how rather then DoW one big reveal... in BSG you have ot be way more subtle and make a bunch of little things add up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played BSG, but it seems to me the primary difference between the two is probably the play time. BSG is a long game, and Dark Moon is not. I'd think they could both have room in ones collection if you want the BSG feel in a game even when you don't have the time for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Dark Moon and Dead of Winter, and have played BSG with all of the expansions. They all have similarities but are quite different gaming experiences.

Dark Moon is meant to recreate some of the elements of BSG, much more simply, in a lot less time as was already pointed out. Personally, I agree with one of the other comments that said many of the BSG expansions hurt the game more than they help it.

Dead of Winter is also simpler than BSG, but I don't feel the traitor element is as all-consuming as BSG. There may not even be a traitor! There's also different scenarios and lengths, where-as BSG is pretty much long and "all or nothing."

So what's the bottom line? All three are very good games, and they scratch a different itch for diffent people, play lengths, and ease of play. If you had all three, you'd play a lot of Dark Moon, a bit less of Dead of Winter, and BSG would come out every once-in-a-while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Huber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
They are both solid games.
You might end up feeling that an expansion brought something to BSG or you might not.
If you buy Dark Moon you will have two solid games, each with its own strengths.
That and you would be supporting Evan Derrick who, I's imagine, could use your support more than FF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike V
United Kingdom
Totnes
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find BSG a deeper, richer, more satisfying game in every way. BUT Dark Moon plays in a fraction (1/3?) of the time. If time is an issue, then Dark Moon captures the traitor game in a basic, bare-bones, but acceptably satisfying way.

If money is an issue, I think the base BSG game is as good as it gets. The expansions add variety, but you might not find they improve the game play. I find something nice to have in each expansion but actively dislike many of the major modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of the expansions for Battlestar Galactica, and Dark Moon is not going to replace it for me. There's so much variety in the characters at this point (plus the options for Cylon leaders and personal goals and the Final Five...), and I love playing with the Cylon fleet board and the Demeter with the quest cards.

The downside to BSG is that I will no longer play it with people I don't know. It is too easy for the game to become painfully long if there are people dragging out their decisions on their turn, so I have a specific group of people I will play with and we have fun. I don't understand the popular recommendation to only play it with 5 people.

Dark Moon is much faster to play and does a really good job of casting suspicion on everyone quickly, more so than Battlestar does. Because of how quickly it plays, I have no compunctions about teaching it to people, regardless of whether I think they'll make timely decisions. There is (to a disappointing degree) much less difference and variety between the characters than there is in even the base game of Battlestar.

I find it odd that Dead of Winter is even being compared to the two...it is not, at basics, a hidden traitor game except by luck. If you decide to deliberately include it, we might as well include and compare the alternate rules for Legendary Encounters: Alien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Shadow Hunters

(elaboration would make a seemingly irrelevant statement into something useful)

Anyway....

Dark Moon is a fairly clever take on a dice game combined with hidden traitor mechanics. It plays (relatively) quick, is light, and straightforward. It's the kind of game you play if you find yourself thinking "Resistance is good, but I wish it had some more meat". Go read the rules, and you'll get the gist pretty easy.

BSG is a beast (in comparison). It's the game you get if you like expansions, options, modifications, and want it all fairly piecemeal. It won't get old as quickly as Dark Moon, but it will take a group with several hours to kill just to play one game.

I love both, but I think DM is probably the less demanding of the two, while BSG is the more engaging (and demanding!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm struggling to get into a reason to buy Dark moon, not having the BSG license was not a smart move at all for this. What makes BSG so good is the theme ties so well with the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my post way up there, I've got Dark Moon. I'd play this any time over BSG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls