Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Secret Wars, Volume 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nimrod Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael B.
msg tools
mb
Here's the situation:

Nimrod is the Mastermind, who reads, "You can't fight Nimrod unless you made at least 6 Recruit this turn."

Player 1 defeats Kate Pryde of Future Past, who reads, "Fight: [...] At the beginning of the next player's turn, that player gets +1 Recruit."

Through her own card effects, Player 2 is able to generate 12 Attack and 5 Recruit. With the extra point of Recruit granted by Kate Pryde's Fight effect, Player 2 now has 6 Recruit.

Questions:
1) Since Nimrod says you can't fight him unless you "make" 6 Recruit, did Player 2 fall shy of the 6 Recruit threshold requirement?

2) Assuming that Player 2 can fight Nimrod, can she fight him twice, since she has 12 Attack?

My instincts say that she can fight Nimrod & do so twice, but I thought I'd get other, perhaps more official, opinions on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyCrane wrote:
Here's the situation:

Nimrod is the Mastermind, who reads, "You can't fight Nimrod unless you made at least 6 Recruit this turn."

Player 1 defeats Kate Pryde of Future Past, who reads, "Fight: [...] At the beginning of the next player's turn, that player gets +1 Recruit."

Through her own card effects, Player 2 is able to generate 12 Attack and 5 Recruit. With the extra point of Recruit granted by Kate Pryde's Fight effect, Player 2 now has 6 Recruit.

Questions:
1) Since Nimrod says you can't fight him unless you "make" 6 Recruit, did Player 2 fall shy of the 6 Recruit threshold requirement?

2) Assuming that Player 2 can fight Nimrod, can she fight him twice, since she has 12 Attack?

My instincts say that she can fight Nimrod & do so twice, but I thought I'd get other, perhaps more official, opinions on the matter.

1) I believe "Make" is a catch-all term basically stating that you can fight him as long as you have achieved 6 recruit in some fashion. Thus, Player 2 has fulfilled the requirement.

2) I believe that is correct, but part of me wants to say it's 6 recruit per tactic. Otherwise, as you've noted, it would be relatively easy to defeat Nimrod. I need to check the rules. I'll check when I get home, or if anyone else knows for sure, feel free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BuddhaRock wrote:
GreyCrane wrote:
Here's the situation:

Questions:

1) I believe "Make" is a catch-all term basically stating that you can fight him as long as you have achieved 6 recruit in some fashion. Thus, Player 2 has fulfilled the requirement.

2) I believe that is correct, but part of me wants to say it's 6 recruit per tactic. Otherwise, as you've noted, it would be relatively easy to defeat Nimrod. I need to check the rules. I'll check when I get home, or if anyone else knows for sure, feel free.

There's nothing that would indicate you can't hit him a second time on the same 6 recruit. After all, you have still made 6 recruit that turn if you try to hit him twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
She can fight him twice. She made six recruit including the bonus recruit she got from the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The card seems pretty clear that you only have to make 6 recruit... it doesn't matter if you have already spent it (making some focus abilities strong against Nimrod). So make the money, then punch him multiple times. This makes it debateably the easiest mastermind to get multiple tactic cards of in one turn (mid-late game).

That being said... I sure doesn't feel right. Nimrod is pretty resilient from my exposure to the lore. The idea of needing fight and recruit is brilliant. But just with the rule as it's stated on the card it makes me raise an eyebrow. But then I have to hold myself back and remember that just because they've been making the game harder, that doesn't mean they are going to keep upping the difficulty. It was harder than I expected to get high in both recruit and fight in one turn. But it still didn't feel right. So, even though I was sure I was playing it wrong, I decided he cost 6 recruit + 6 attack in my game. I just thought of it as "hard-mode Nimrod". So play normal-mode or hard-mode Nimrod as you desire. I like that it was pretty easy to just do that.

It was the eyebrow raise mentioned that had me search the forums to see if anyone said it was a misprint. But doesn't seem to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bennett
United States
Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
How about Thor's rare where you can use recruitment as attack if i was able to get 12 recruitment on the turn would I only hit Nimrod once since I have to "save" six stars for the recruitment requirement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to save it. You made 12 recruit points. You can use it as 12 attack to hit him twice. Because it's Thor, and you don't argue with Thor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
TravelSized wrote:
You don't have to save it. You made 12 recruit points. You can use it as 12 attack to hit him twice. Because it's Thor, and you don't argue with Thor.

I concur that this is the literal and correct interpretation. If you don't like this though, easy... house rule it to be harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
This. The rules don't say you have to save it, you just have to produce it. Just like when you have to KO someone you've played that round (say from fighting Sentinels) - you still get their attack or recruit because it's already been generated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bennett
United States
Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I know that I don't have to save it I can the use stars to recruit or focus and still might the requirement to fight nimrod my question was when you turn the stars into attack with Thor do they sill count as stars it seems that the requirement is still met because at some point in the turn you had 6 stars even if you use them all for attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still legit. The requirement is for it to be "made" -- once it's made, how it gets used is of no consequence in this instance.

At least, that's how I see it.....I've been wrong before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding Nimrod, which divided our playing group.

Scenario:
You do not have any card with attack/star in your hand*. Is it a legit move to choose this missing type, and therefore skip the discard effect?

*=the reason can be various, but in our case it happened because of 2 schemes in a row
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
szuper wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding Nimrod, which divided our playing group.

Scenario:
You do not have any card with attack/star in your hand*. Is it a legit move to choose this missing type, and therefore skip the discard effect?

*=the reason can be various, but in our case it happened because of 2 schemes in a row

Yep, that's legit, if you have no Attack cards you can choose Attack and discard nothing or vice versa for Recruit.

Either way, unless you have a lot of draw cards you're going to struggle to hit Nimrod that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls