Traditional Card Games» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Slap 'em Down - Wife's birthday tradition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
flag msg tools
It was my wife's birthday, so of course we had to play her favorite game, "Slap 'em Down". Slap 'em Down (which we learned earlier this year is also called "Speed Solitaire") is multi-player Klondike, with the players sharing each other's aces. My wife grew up playing this in groups of 6 or more players, so our three-player session (our daughter was not feeling well, so did not come over) was pretty tame for her.

The first game was a breeze, with everyone going out.

We decided to play a second game before trying something else, and it was a disaster. Brian (our son) laid out his cards and had no plays. He went through his deck and still had no plays. I fared a little better, able to move a red eight to a black nine before going through my deck with no plays. Susan (my wife) managed to make a little progress, eventually getting some aces out and allowing us to play a little, but it really was hopeless. Brian ended up "winning", having managed to play 13 of his cards in the center, to Susan's 11 and my 9. These would be decent scores if they were the number of UNPLAYED cards, but as played cards, it was perhaps the worst game we have ever played.

We did manage to sneak in a couple of six player rounds in our 12/22 game session, but they were a little more routine. Susan (my wife) and our daughter both play aggressively in the center, never moving any card lower than about a six on their board and happily playing face cards on aces even while they have low cards in their display. This can be quite overwhelming to the couple we play games with, since they are new to this game. Brian and I play more conservatively, concentrating on not getting blocked by being unable to get to our hidden cards.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.