Subject: Shipping GMT / P500 games to England, UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Just wanted to throw this out there (not having a go at GMT) - I live in England, UK and have placed my order behind several P500 games.

GMT games in the UK are generally difficult to come across, unless you order them via ebay or amazon - my 3 local board games stores dont stock them.

I am grateful to GMT for providing a discount for a P500 backed game, however I see a lot of posts asking about tax / import duty charges....that being said my Churchill P500 game finally arrived today into the UK.

Churchill under P500 costed - $60 (£39)

FYI - I chose the free shipping option.

Today I received notification from ParcelForce saying that the package was being held at their local depot until I paid the following to them + HR Customs/Revenue:

£15.81 ($12.50) Import Tax
£8 ($24.61) Handling charge directly to ParcelForce.

So in total Churchill costed $97.11 / £62.81

This was just over the full price of Churchill @ $89.00 so ordering under the P500 certainly helps.

That may give other UK people - a guide of 'exactly' what to pay on a P500 order - without extra/fast shipping.

I understand that the GMT - UK/European Distribution is not the best, however it is difficult for a small company to overcome this ... not sure what is involved in having a true P500 UK distributor who may help overcome the tax issues.
Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Also worth remembering that customs will not necessarily halt the parcel and some may squeeze through without VAT charged (although they appear to be much hotter at stopping them now than they did a few years ago).

You also get the added bonuses of guaranteeing you will obtain a copy of the game and access to the GMT annual sale for P500 customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I stab your meeple in its face
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think (and IANAL) that getting round the tax issue would require a UK producer, not just a distributor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's still worth backing P500s on this basis.

My last one for The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 2nd edition slipped in with no additional charges.

When this happens it's a complete bargain.

With the usual charges it's still worth it and even if just one or 2 make it through without additional charges, it works out cheaper overall than buying them new from the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Garbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who loves GMT games, but have never P500'd anything, I know I run the risk of missing stock when it arrives in the UK. Mr President has just hit the P500 which looks amazing, so I don't know whether to give it a go. It sounds like it's a bit of a gamble around what customs do once it arrives on the boat.

Anyone have any comparison of whether air or sea makes a difference in the customs charges?

I ask because they are also threatening reprints of fields of fire and Cuba libre in the near future...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Adams
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
I sometimes p500 a game. Well I try to at least once a year. This usually allows you access to a discounted game or two in their sale.

I buy my other gmt games in the UK, if any appeal and I have the funds. Churchill cost me about the same as it cost you when I ordered it last week from gameslore.

But I have Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection on the p500 as I wanted to contribute to getting it made and secure a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience of getting games shipped to the UK is that you generally do end up paying import and handling unless the game is very small/flat or very cheap.

One way around this with other purchases is to ensure that your sender pre-pays the import duty at the point of purchase - then your parcel sails through customs. This can be done easily over eBay. Maybe its something that GMT could do for UK customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
Don't forget that for every game you purchase through P500 you can usually buy one half price title in the GMT sale, and these can be ordered and delivered together and so only attract one handling charge. Over the course of the year you can save a lot through P500.

Also, games are much more likely to get through without a charge around Christmas due to volume of mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls