Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry thread for Frank-N-Dine -- Idea phase.

Designed for the 2015 Children's Print and Play Game Design Contest.

by Bethan Harper and Rob Harper.

Game Summary

Players are waiters serving food at a restaurant where the customers are all monsters. You have to make sure that you serve the correct food to each monster or you risk getting no tip -- or worse!

Number of players: ?
Components: ?
Playing time: ?

Prospective categories

Unsure of age/school category, but probably the older bunch because scary monsters.
Best card game
Best art
Best game designed with/by children

Download Links

To come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game I am working on with my 8+1/2 year old daughter. The title and the general idea are hers, and we have discussed some general possibilities, and played through a few turns of a very rough approximation of what we are working towards using regular playing cards.

What we played was using court cards as "monsters", and they all want "food" (number) cards of their own suit, but definitely do not want food of the opposite colour. We played cards to make plates of food and had to serve each monster before it got to the end of a conveyor-belt line. If the monster liked the food it was served, it paid a tip to whoever served it.

We're wanting to have the customers and foodstuffs thematic (so the vampires want blood but definitely not garlic, for example), and probably need to have disgruntled monsters doing something amusing but not too nasty to whoever offends them.

I think that given the theme, this might not be great for the younger groups of kids, and some parents certainly wouldn't approve, but keeping it cartoony and light-hearted, it should appeal to plenty of kids. That's the hope, anyway - we need to keep remembering to try to avoid gruesomeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the theme. My kids seem totally cool with the idea of zombies and vampires so they'll get a kick out of it.

Hopefully there aren't too many parents turned off by the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chris. I suspect more parents would be squeamish than kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend reading Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez for this theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Caroline, I'll look into that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've not made much progress with the game as such, but my design partner, B, has been working hard on creating a set of art assets. She has given me permission to share a sampler of her work so far, so you can see some of the customers at the Frank-N-Dine restaurant...

We also have black & white versions of these images for playtest and low-ink PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear, time flies by and we haven't made much progress until today.

We still don't have shareable components (though I'll be working on that over then next few days) but we have made a reasonable set of cards to play with and given it a go under a few rules variants.

What we have ended up with is a simple cooperative game.

Monsters appear at the start of each player's turn and move, turn by turn along a queue, which at the moment has four spaces in it. If a monster gets to the end of the queue without being fed, something bad happens. At the moment, it is that the game ends.

Monsters have a food they like, a food they dislike, and a hunger number.

Players have cards depicting food ingredients (fish, brains, lettuce, that sort of thing) and players put cards onto plates to get them ready (we have three plates being loaded at once). A plate can be fed to a customer/monster if it doesn't contain any disliked foods and it has a number of cards at least equal to the monster's hunger. "Liked" foods count as double. When a monster has been fed, it goes away happy.

If the players manage to feed all the monsters, they win.

That's about it. This is a load simpler than some of our earlier ideas, but we do want this to be easy to play.

Now I just need to get those PnP components and rules sorted ASAP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I just launched the 2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest! You are welcome to re-enter this game (or a new game) if you would like. I hope to see you back this year!

2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls