Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my first real play of this in on Saturday. Four players, I'm pretty sure we did just about everything right - well, correctly according to the rules, I know we didn't show strong game mastery. One thing we think we modified was that we had the Luminaries in Phase 2 holding their stock face-down. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be face-up, but decided that we liked the idea of not knowing what stock we'd be getting when bidding.

I was curious what people have been seeing for Luminary bidding. When we played, phase 1 was fairly low, I think one person went for 5k, just about everyone else went at 1k or 2k. In the later phases, it was higher, but not dramatically - I think we underestimated the value of the stock that comes with the Luminary. Have any of you been seeing bids including the Stock price? Even if the stock itself is hidden, the lowest stock price should be part of the bid, once you think about it.

We all liked the game, and look forward to playing it again, this time knowing that we should all be buying stock earlier, rather than rushing for Patents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atras wrote:

Even if the stock itself is hidden, the lowest stock price should be part of the bid, once you think about it.

Not really. The last player will always get the remaining luminary and stock for $1000.-. Bidding a lot more (up to stock value) would put you at a huge disadvantage.

And I don't see myself playing with hidden stock. Seeing who comes with what should influence your preference for a luminary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the rules clearly state (including with a picture) that the stock is supposed to be face-up, but I find your variant very interesting. It introduces some unpredictability in a game that has relatively little of it (apart from not knowing what luminaries and propaganda cards will appear in the future). Some players would find that a plus, some a minus. It's nice that the game components were printed in such a way as to permit that option.

You are of course absolutely correct that the later phase bidding should be affected by the associated stock when the stock is not hidden. If the stock is hidden, though, it shouldn't affect the bidding as long as no one reveals the stock acquired until after all of the auctions for the phase are complete. However bidding theoretically should be affected by the hidden stock if the stock obtained is immediately revealed at the end of each individual auction. So if you're playing the hidden stock variant, the timing of the reveal needs to be explicitly spelled out.

I definitely bid up the luminary quite high in one game when the associated stock was for a company with a much higher share price than any of the other companies available at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, after seeing Benji's post: the luminary bid should be affected by the difference in stock prices (and possibly other strategic considerations such as whether it's your own company's stock or not), not by the total stock price or lowest stock price, since everyone is guaranteed to get one stock certificate regardless of what's bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew it was a bit of a tweak on the actual rules, I was putting the stocks on the Luminaries and the first two landed upside down. When I went to flip them, two people at the table said "No! Let it be a mystery". I forgot to account for the fact that the last place person gets to score someone for 1k, that's really powerful now that I think about it, and it makes paying a lot for a Luminary sort of insane. This game has so many cool interlocking systems, it's really fascinating.

In our game, anytime someone bumped up AC or DC on the fame track, the next person (or *maybe* the one after that) would bump the fame back towards the middle. It was somewhat infuriating having your action be negated like that, but it was a good logical choice for the other player. Do you see a lot of Propaganda in your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atras wrote:
Do you see a lot of Propaganda in your games?
I haven't played very many games yet. I more or less ignored Propaganda in my first game while I was learning the ropes. I find myself using it more the more experienced I get at the game. Adjusting both fame tracks and collecting money all in one action can be very powerful, especially when it's timed carefully. That money can be enough to put you over the top to get that last share of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmaginity2 wrote:
Atras wrote:
Do you see a lot of Propaganda in your games?
I haven't played very many games yet. I more or less ignored Propaganda in my first game while I was learning the ropes. I find myself using it more the more experienced I get at the game. Adjusting both fame tracks and collecting money all in one action can be very powerful, especially when it's timed carefully. That money can be enough to put you over the top to get that last share of stock.

Lately I've been pushing a lot more propaganda than my first games. Mostly I do it for the cash bonus than the actual propaganda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atras wrote:
In our game, anytime someone bumped up AC or DC on the fame track, the next person (or *maybe* the one after that) would bump the fame back towards the middle. It was somewhat infuriating having your action be negated like that, but it was a good logical choice for the other player. Do you see a lot of Propaganda in your games?

In my 4-player game, I was the only one who initially researched DC. The other 3 players went for AC. When I got my DC to level 3, I used the propaganda action to move the fame track to the DC end. When ensued was rather interesting.

No one decided to use propaganda to move the AC/DC track back. The reason is that the one player who does this wastes his action to benefit the other two players who would not need an action. If anyone did this, it would only screw me over and himself over.

One player just ignored the fame track and researched level 5 AC tech and built level 4 and 5 cities. The other two players started researching DC. One put his efforts to research and patent level 4 DC power and benefited by getting his stock price bumped every turn. However, he sacrificed researching bulbs which was only at level 1, so he was only able to claim projects for level 1 cities. The other player researched level 2 bulbs and only claimed projects on level 2 cities. I had level 3 bulb and DC and claimed projects on level 3 cities.

In the end, I also used my propaganda action to move my company to first place. This gave my stock a bump which made a difference in the final score.

The only other propaganda action was early when one of the players bumped his company to the top of the fame track to get his stock bumped every turn until the end when I bumped myself to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls