Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight November 19th 2015 is SCOTCH CRAWL 2015!!! 12th FLOOR 7-9pm

ROOMS: 1201 1210 1215 1221 1222 1237

Tasting does not start at one room and then move to another. Think of it more like a shotgun start.

This will be the 3rd year in a row I've arranged a scotch tasting event at the BGG con.

Last year the tasting was ran like a "Pub Crawl" Do to hotel rules and other legalities alcohol for a scotch tasting can only be consumed in a guests room.

This worked out great last year with about 30 people moving from room to room and trying some very unique scotch. We had a lot of fun and some of the rooms had many surprises in store for their guests (yum yum warm waffles anyone) and when the official tasting was over a great game of Clusterfight with new friends.

I will have more info to post on the event but I plan on running they event Nov 19th Thursday evening (need to get a look at the official BGG schedule to make sure there are no major conflicts)

This is not an official BGG event just a really fun one and a chance to taste a nice range of scotch. It's like playing apples to apples then ticket to ride, a little Pillars of the Earth onto Cosmic Encounters and then a little Puerto Rico followed up with a peaty Hear I Stand. You should find something you like.

More details to come...Bart

Edit:

Here are the bottles we need volunteers to bring:

I'm hoping for 2 of each of the regular bottles

Balvenie DoubleWood 12 Year 2 of 2 DONE

Balvenie Caribbean 14 Year 2 of 2 DONE

Balvenie DoubleWood 17 Year 1 of 2

Bruichladdich
The Classic Laddie (lt Blue bottle) 1 of 2

Islay Barley (lt Yellow Bottle) 1 of 2

Port Charlotte Scotch Barley (Grey Bottle tube) 2 of 2 DONE

Port Charlotte Islay Barley (White Bottle tube) 1 of 2

These last two are expensive and more of a wish and a prayer

Bruichladdich Black Arts 4.1 (Black Tube) 1 of 1 DONE

Bruichladdich Octomore Heavy Peat 1 of 1 DONE

ROOMS for the CRAWL 4 of 5

And a video just released

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/77334/bart-brunscheen/bgg-20...

Here is the wish list for the bottles we need at the event. (copied from a post on page 3 just so it's easy to find)

Ok, I've decided the bottles we will try this year. Now don't forget this event is always open to someone bringing a special bottle or just a bottle they want to share. I will usually have a room for those too.

This year I wanted to focus on a couple very special distillers.

Balvenie and Bruichladdich (pronounced: Brook-Ladddie). A couple of the bottles I'm asking for are a little pricey so if no one wishes to purchase one of those no worries...we will have enough of the others and this is just a free event with a bottle wish list which is going to be a blast no matter what. Ok I'm done with my run-on sentence.

Bringing a bottle to the event. I'm looking for volunteers to buy and bring the following bottle/s to the tasting.

From Balvenie:
Doublewide 12 Years (this is their standard entry level bottle)
Caribbean Cask (This scotch spent some time in a rum cask as a finish)
Doublewood 17 (everything mellows more with age)

There are some other Balvenie bottles but the price really jumps up. I will not request those but if someone joining us has the means and desire...surprise us.

From Bruichladdich:
The Classic Laddie (Light Blue bottle)
Islay Barley (Light Yellowish orange bottle)
Port Charlotte Scottish Barley (Grey round Tube bottle holder)
Port Charlotte Islay Barley (In a round white tube)

The Black Arts 3.1 is sold out but the 4.1 is still out there, it is such a smooth dram that I put it on the list. It also costs about $300 so think of this as a wish and a prayer, I don't plan on it being at the event...but again one never knows when it comes to gamers...we have ways of getting stuff done)

Octomore Heavy peat (again this is an expensive bottle but a very unique flavor) no worries if we don't get this bottle at the event.

If you are going to bring one of these bottle to the event please post on this forum and then I will contact you via private message to get some more information. Right now I'm just hoping for one of each so please take a look at what others have pledged to bring. Again don't worry about the high priced ones...more of a wish. If we get enough people bringing a range of bottles then I would love to double up on bottle selections just to make sure we have enough for everyone to try a flavor range.

I'm also still looking for a few more people to host a bottle in their hotel room for the actual Scotch Crawl. Thanks to those that have already volunteered. We can't have the event without the rooms.

Bart
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Echeverria
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great time last year at this, looking forward to it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am sooooooooooo there!

And I know a lot of others that are excited about this too...

I will bring an EPIC bottle of single malt for this.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Straw
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My body is ready. I can't wait.

Also, we need a scotch-themed board game that is amazing. I'm on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, what the hell. I don't got that long of a lifespan anyway...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun... what's the cost of entry? A bottle of single malt?

We're trying to decide whether to come up Thursday or Friday (we're traveling from Houston). This might seal the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

I am sooooooooooo there!

And I know a lot of others that are excited about this too...

I will bring an EPIC bottle of single malt for this.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Thank you Stephen!

For those who hosted a room last year I will be reaching out to you to see if you're willing to do it again. I would like to have five rooms in the crawl. I actually had some attendees ask for less rooms because they wanted a closer more personal feel. I don't disagree but I am sticking with the goal of five so we can handle a larger crowd this year. Just in case.

If you are a person who would like to host a bottle or two in your room (be one of the rooms that random cool people will stop at to taste from a scotch bottle) please send me a private message and let me know.

Also please help me spread the word about this event. Every year I run into someone after it's over who would have attended had they known.

Bart...more to come

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zinfandelle wrote:
My body is ready. I can't wait.

Also, we need a scotch-themed board game that is amazing. I'm on it.

A big thanks to Straw and Stephan who reached out to me asking for this scotch crawl to continue.

For those that don't know I host a scotch review video show on YouTube called Scotch Test Dummies. If you want a little funny banter and a short scotch review stop on by. Also on Twitter and FB under the same name.

You can even see me do yoga...it ain't pretty...you've been warned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3b3mQZQWJk

Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bnb182 wrote:

We're trying to decide whether to come up Thursday or Friday (we're traveling from Houston). This might seal the deal.

No cost. I need to determine the scotch theme (if we use a theme)and then people just announce what bottle/s they are bringing. I try to get about 6 different types and then at least two of each bottle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Holy cow. The Chief does a Scotch Testing show? How did I not know about this?

Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armed-medic wrote:
bnb182 wrote:

No cost. I need to determine the scotch theme (if we use a theme)and then people just announce what bottle/s they are bringing. I try to get about 6 different types and then at least two of each bottle.

With this being the first scotch for some people I like the idea of a nice bottle progression from soft and mild (Dalwhinnie) moving stronger and stronger and ending with a very peaty smokey Ardbeg.

But I'm open for suggestions and we always take surprise bottles from scotch lovers who like to surprise. I love you surprise people.

Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchellcmiller wrote:
Holy cow. The Chief does a Scotch Testing show? How did I not know about this?

Subscribed.

Thank you Miller. It's a fun time. Every Saturday my best friend Brunow and I review a scotch or world whisky and every Wednesday we review an American or Canadian whisk(e)y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, hell yes. Time to start looking for a good one to bring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
Waves broke in swift lines on the beach, and she walked over the sand toward her friends, in the wind, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars
mbmbmbmbmb
If I come to BGG.con, and it's looking very likely, I am so in for this. Will be my first time there (and in DFW as a whole) and will be looking forward to this as a hilight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats. Unable to attend but this unofficial event sounds good to me. I have a lovely 30 year old bottle of single malt I would have to bring. Who best to open and share that with but fellow scotch lovers. Perhaps next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Rats. Unable to attend but this unofficial event sounds good to me. I have a lovely 30 year old bottle of single malt I would have to bring. Who best to open and share that with but fellow scotch lovers. Perhaps next year.

It waited 30 years, what's one more, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

I'll wait another year for a chance to taste 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed last year's crawl, not gonna miss this year's!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moezilla wrote:
I missed last year's crawl, not gonna miss this year's!
great, can't wait to share a dram.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This will be a highlight of the convention that is already my favorite convention of the year.

Can't wait!

--Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:

This will be a highlight of the convention that is already my favorite convention of the year.

Can't wait!

--Stephen

I just submitted a BGG scotch crawl video to the MOD for approval. Hopefully that will help get out the word.

Bart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eagerly awaiting official word on the night of this crawl. I couldn't think of a better way to enjoy a night. I may bring a scotch or buy one when I get down there, though I don't know how far a liquor store is... shouldn't be far since the airport sells liquor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to do this and I'd bring a bottle... but I think there are rules against carrying a bottle in your carry-on.

hmmmm... then again, they do have a duty free at DFW? right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just released a video for the tasting. Please give it a view and a thumb to help get the word out.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/77334/bart-brunscheen/bgg-20...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeNvP wrote:
I am eagerly awaiting official word on the night of this crawl. I couldn't think of a better way to enjoy a night. I may bring a scotch or buy one when I get down there, though I don't know how far a liquor store is... shouldn't be far since the airport sells liquor.

Nov 19th Thursday. More then likely at 7pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |