Exploding Kittens» Forums » General

Subject: More than 5 players w/ NSFW deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snarky Boy
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Is it possible to play with > 5 players if you mix the base set with the NSFW deck? We've got 6-7 people getting together for the weekend, and were hoping to play the game together...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no problem. You can mix multiple decks together to increase the possible player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Rasmussen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep in mind you need one less Exploding Kitten than the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it says right on the cover of the NSFW rulebook that it can be combined with the base game to go up to 9 players. If not right on the cover, it is at least mentioned in there somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boxes both have 4 Exploding Kittens each, so combined, you would have a max of 8 Kittens, which is why it has the odd maximum numbers of 5 players with 1 box or 9 with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Law
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with 6 so I added one exploding kitten from the NSFW deck, plus another standard set (bikini cat) and Nope/Attack/Defuse cards. It would be useful to know exactly what to add.

Or just chuck in the whole extra deck minus exploders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek, in addition to having an awesome first name, IMO you nailed it perfectly.

While there is 6 Defuse per deck (4 in the 2 player variant) 5 Nope's, and 5 See The Future per deck, 4 of each of the other cards (Attack, Skip, Favor, Shuffle), I think 1/player is a pretty decent rule of thumb.

It's not going to break the game having one extra card of anything (except maybe kittens, though you'd likely stop the game when someone wins anyway).

1/player of each:
Defuse (+2 for the stack)
Exploding Kitten (-1)
Nope
Attack
Skip
Favor
Shuffle
See The Future
One set of textless cards.

The only problem I see with using this variant is with less players it will be harder do "5 of a kind". Depending on the shuffle, it may be more likely to do 2 of a kind... but mostly it should be about the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls