Subject: My 2 Cents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
So I thought I was going to love Yashima. I Kickstarted it for +300$. I played the PnP a lot. I payed to get my copy early. I have played it extensively with friends and I am still left a little more than "Meh" about it.

Firstly I had issues with some of the sculpts and the artwork. I voiced this a lot and was blown off. But you cannot win them all.

Aesthetic aside these figures are not very well cast or pre-assembled. I am a miniature war gamer and would have much preferred putting my models together so that I could go and fix some of these errors. The Medium they used to cast the models might as well be the old green Army-men plastic for how well they capture detail and hold shape. I was able to see the Resin models in person and even those casts leave a lot to be desired. I could understand the choice of plastics if this was supposed to be a super light fun game like Memoir '44 but Yashima was sold as a miniatures battle game. I expect quality plastics. Now because of this I have no desire to paint these models which was a nice selling point to the game. Because of the low grade plastics Primer does not want to stick to the models. The oils from the plastic just seeps through the primer making it impossible to paint. Paints come out tacky no matter what I have tried from Vallejo to P3 and GW/Citadel paints. I also have tried different primers and it all has the same effect. Because of the cheap plastics and that they are poorly pre-assembled trying to clean up flash or Gap fill is a nightmare to try and make the models look good. I am glad I at lest have 3 of the 4 Gencon '15 models so I can tell which Rosamu is which Green vs. Red.

Next complaint is the facing mechanic. Now with the PnP this was a non issue. Hex tiles Hex Bases. Front and Back Edges. But these figures are round bases. So with facing such an important factor in this game, and the painting issues from above, it is a pain in the ass to try and figure out which way my guy is facing in order to fight my opponent. My entire play group hates this. It also plays hell on new players because they have no point of reference. We are stuck with having to buy Hex bases for our figures when this could have easily been solved by casting them with hex bases. which winds up costing me 5$ for a pack of 4 hex bases and I have at least 10 figures I will have to do this with.

Another complaint is the card stock for the Tomes and decks. This stuff is so flimsy for what was supposed to be a quality game. Which also adds to the cheapness of the game. If you like to sleeve your games find a thicker more rigid plastic sleeve to actually give these card some body and lend them to shuffling better.

The biggest complaint is the down time, mainly because of the bases. People have to figure out exactly which way their guy is facing and compare it to the card which leaves your opponent twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to figure all this out. And if both players are familiar with the game but not the characters then you have a very long game to look forward to. You have to be a master in logistics to make this game any kind of fast. God forbid you want to play multiplayer because then it take forever!!!

The mechanics of the game, barring the facing issue, are really solid though. Mechanically the game is sound. I would have liked to see more defense cards in the game but this is supposed to be a bloodsport of sorts so I get that these figures are going all out to be the best. The Tomes at times can seem a little fiddly but it is a neat mechanic that I personally have not seen executed before. It is refreshing not to have to deal with dice or measuring tape in a miniature game.

Do I regret buying this game? The miniature war gamer in me does quite a bit. Not being able to work with models of the caliber of the 3D renders is a huge lament!!! The board gamer in me is slightly upset too because this game is not easily accessible to new players. There was such great promise for this game and it fell flat for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my silver buddy box of 4 base sets yesterday.

Haven't had a chance to do more than open one of the boxes, punch the cardboard and have a rummage.

Personally I'm really glad that the sculpts don't need assembling. I hated that in the Shadows of Brimstone games. These sculpts are not the best I've seen, but they are above average IMHO.

My main impression so far is just how little is actually in the base box. It is as if content has been left out so that it could be added as 'bonus' KS rewards. Hmmmm.....

Looking forward to receiving the extra stuff when it shows up, and I do expect to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow - I had almost totally forgot about this game! (I was part of a 4-pack silver pledge on the kickstarter). This is another pleasant surprise, to go with 12 Realms, Mistfall, Lords of War et al (all of which arrived in the last few weeks)

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Tex. It's disappointing to hear the lack of quality in the minis and how hard they are to paint, even if it doesn't matter to me much (I won't be attempting to paint these, or any minis ever - not my thing). I'm personally happy that they come pre-assembled, though.

On a related note, I'm absoloutely shocked about the bases being round. With facing being such an important part of the game, did this not occur to anyone during the development of the minis? Gah. Guess i'll have to mark the 'front' of the bases in some way...

Still, at the end of the day I'm most concerned about how well it plays. I can see downtime being an issue with players who have trouble visualising attack areas combined with facing/rotation, but hopefully the game's merits will outweigh any potential frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed my demo at Gen Con and it convinced me to buy Yashima when it reaches my OLGS. During the demo my group initially struggled with facing. The demoer suggested using the face of each miniature to indicate direction, which worked well. Interestingly, he also mentioned that the miniatures should have marks on the base to indicate facing and that GBG wasn't happy the marks aren't obvious. Which leads me to the main thrust of your review...

The miniatures are disappointing and not what I expected based on the kickstarter page. They are not the "highly detailed miniatures" mentioned and shown in the renders. I wonder what went wrong.

While reading this review, I came to two realizations.

First, the era of backing a Kickstarter "because even if the game is bad at least I'm getting great minis" seems to be over. While subpar miniature quality isn't common, it's occurring more frequently.

Second, backing GBG's Folklore Kickstarter next month might be a bad idea. From what I saw at Gen Con, the game was interesting and the miniatures looked great. I was planning to back. But if the production miniatures are going to drop to Yashima quality, my money would be better off going to other KS projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Paul gets to a key point, although I actually disagree with his conclusion a bit.

Personally, I'm satisfied with the miniatures. I had no intention to attempt to paint them (more a time limitation than anything else), but I backed the game not for the miniatures but for the game.

The more I've though about this kickstarter, particularly the massive drop in the last day, the more I've thought that including the miniatures may have been a mistake - and that they should have been the "dreaded" cardboard standies that games like BattleCon use, with possibly a separate kickstarter to create miniatures (perhaps even the resin quality ones).

Why? The key of Yashima for me is the game itself, the miniatures etc. are just a gloss (admittedly a cool gloss). Unfortunately, the presence of the miniatures attracted a number of people who were primarily interested in the miniatures, and used to a certain type of miniature production, many of them dropped out in the last day or so, and some of the others remain disappointed by the miniatures.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that people who wanted the miniatures a different way are wrong or bad or whatever, I'm actually saying overall I think that is the problem with including miniatures with a game on Kickstarter.

Heck, might also add that had they not done the miniatures, they probably could have dropped down the price quite a bit. Perhaps for 2nd edition and future expansions...I think I'd recommend to follow the example of Greater Than Games and make the miniatures available as a separate purchase for those who want them to keep costs lower.

I do also agree with the OP about the cardstock of the cards, I was a little bit disappointed by that, but I sleeved them and that fixed the problem - I'll have my own review up eventually, but want to get more games in first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwnhmcntryboy wrote:
So I thought I was going to love Yashima. I Kickstarted it for +300$. I played the PnP a lot. I payed to get my copy early. I have played it extensively with friends and I am still left a little more than "Meh" about it.

Firstly I had issues with some of the sculpts and the artwork. I voiced this a lot and was blown off. But you cannot win them all.

Aesthetic aside these figures are not very well cast or pre-assembled. I am a miniature war gamer and would have much preferred putting my models together so that I could go and fix some of these errors. The Medium they used to cast the models might as well be the old green Army-men plastic for how well they capture detail and hold shape. I was able to see the Resin models in person and even those casts leave a lot to be desired. I could understand the choice of plastics if this was supposed to be a super light fun game like Memoir '44 but Yashima was sold as a miniatures battle game. I expect quality plastics. Now because of this I have no desire to paint these models which was a nice selling point to the game. Because of the low grade plastics Primer does not want to stick to the models. The oils from the plastic just seeps through the primer making it impossible to paint. Paints come out tacky no matter what I have tried from Vallejo to P3 and GW/Citadel paints. I also have tried different primers and it all has the same effect. Because of the cheap plastics and that they are poorly pre-assembled trying to clean up flash or Gap fill is a nightmare to try and make the models look good. I am glad I at lest have 3 of the 4 Gencon '15 models so I can tell which Rosamu is which Green vs. Red.

Next complaint is the facing mechanic. Now with the PnP this was a non issue. Hex tiles Hex Bases. Front and Back Edges. But these figures are round bases. So with facing such an important factor in this game, and the painting issues from above, it is a pain in the ass to try and figure out which way my guy is facing in order to fight my opponent. My entire play group hates this. It also plays hell on new players because they have no point of reference. We are stuck with having to buy Hex bases for our figures when this could have easily been solved by casting them with hex bases. which winds up costing me 5$ for a pack of 4 hex bases and I have at least 10 figures I will have to do this with.

Another complaint is the card stock for the Tomes and decks. This stuff is so flimsy for what was supposed to be a quality game. Which also adds to the cheapness of the game. If you like to sleeve your games find a thicker more rigid plastic sleeve to actually give these card some body and lend them to shuffling better.

The biggest complaint is the down time, mainly because of the bases. People have to figure out exactly which way their guy is facing and compare it to the card which leaves your opponent twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to figure all this out. And if both players are familiar with the game but not the characters then you have a very long game to look forward to. You have to be a master in logistics to make this game any kind of fast. God forbid you want to play multiplayer because then it take forever!!!

The mechanics of the game, barring the facing issue, are really solid though. Mechanically the game is sound. I would have liked to see more defense cards in the game but this is supposed to be a bloodsport of sorts so I get that these figures are going all out to be the best. The Tomes at times can seem a little fiddly but it is a neat mechanic that I personally have not seen executed before. It is refreshing not to have to deal with dice or measuring tape in a miniature game.

Do I regret buying this game? The miniature war gamer in me does quite a bit. Not being able to work with models of the caliber of the 3D renders is a huge lament!!! The board gamer in me is slightly upset too because this game is not easily accessible to new players. There was such great promise for this game and it fell flat for me.

I had very little problems painting mine. Some of the poses made it somewhat difficult to get proper details however, and while they didn't come out as good as I would have liked, I can't say that I had any problem with paint "sticking" to the model, or Primer being difficult at all. The model detail wasn't the best I've seen, but it certainly wasn't the worst.... I'd rank the models fairly high on my scale. I would suggest that since it is a miniatures game you could always substitue your own mini for the game's mini if you like.

I totally get the "facing" problem though. We've had several instances of this while playing and I think either square or hex bases would have been a huge improvement. For now, I simply painted a marking on the front facing side to eliminate the confusion. It is far simpler than re-mounting them on a new base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shon James
msg tools
Crabbok wrote:
Dwnhmcntryboy wrote:

I had very little problems painting mine. Some of the poses made it somewhat difficult to get proper details however, and while they didn't come out as good as I would have liked, I can't say that I had any problem with paint "sticking" to the model, or Primer being difficult at all. The model detail wasn't the best I've seen, but it certainly wasn't the worst.... I'd rank the models fairly high on my scale. I would suggest that since it is a miniatures game you could always substitue your own mini for the game's mini if you like.

I totally get the "facing" problem though. We've had several instances of this while playing and I think either square or hex bases would have been a huge improvement. For now, I simply painted a marking on the front facing side to eliminate the confusion. It is far simpler than re-mounting them on a new base.

I also had very little issue with painting, although this cheap no name primer did actually work best on them. I tried the P3 and it did flake a bit.

I have to agree that I would have liked models made of a more firm material, but for the most part I enjoy them. I completely agree with one of the above posts about Shadow of Brimstone. I bought both boxes last year and tears were shed.

Some people, like the OP, enjoy the assembly and such, so I completely get his point. I don't think anyone would suggest that the quality of the minis are on par with Games Workshops best, or similar. As a matter of fact, other than the paint not sticking (mine did just fine) I can't really disagree with anything the OP said. I just have a different perspective and think the minis are good. Not great, but good.

I also never found facing to be an issue. I painted the base with a facing marker, similar to how I would with Warmachine/Hordes minis. Obviously the mark is much smaller, but you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kairqa Mordenkain
msg tools
For the record, I am a non-kickstarter player that is regretting missing out on this. If any of you dissatisfied folks happen to have gotten the Wizard character, I would be interested in acquiring it.

I agree with negative comments about the card quality: I was disappointed the cards were not a bit sturdier. Sleeving seems a must for longevity.

-Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had planned to paint my minis using my GW supplies - undercoating with the black GW spray and painting with GW paints. I'm certainly not an expert painter having only started a Warhammer army last year.

Most comments seem to suggest that painting them should go okay but I'd love to hear opinions before I potentially mess up my minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shon James
msg tools
I had no issue using GW paints, but I didn't try their base coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no problem painting my minis. I used automotive primer; I painted with Vallejo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls