Popular Tags: [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...it is really expensive. It looks like it would cost about $100 for a team (and I'd need 2). Rules are downloadable, but I'd want the book at some point. And a board would be good, although I could probably make one on my own...

Is this stopping anyone else from jumping in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part, you can get six players for each team for $85. That would be the starter, the mascot, one large figure, and a sixth team member. The Engineers cost more because their big guy is bigger than the rest and the Union doesn't have a normal starter since they aren't a normal team.

The cost can be $78/team for the Butcher's, Brewer's, Fisherman's, and Mason's Guilds if you get the seventh figure and skip the big guy. Sorry Mortician's Guild, your extra guy is a second big guy.

The figures are a little pricey, but they are a small company and the quality is very good on the ones I've seen. Instead of breaking down and buying the game, you can try it out using proxy figures or downloading the paper stand-ups from the downloads page of the web site. All of the player cards are also available from there, so you can literally play any team in any combination. It's what my friend and I did to play out first game. It's a really good game.

The one thing that is a bit over-priced for me is the tokens for the individual teams. They are about $30 each, depending on the team and the needed tokens. If you don't want to spend that much money, I would suggest getting a set or two tokens for Hordes (they have more "influence" tokens than the Warmachine sets). You can use the fury tokens for influence and there are several tokens that are meant to be written on that you can use as condition tokens.

I see that you are a Trollbloods fan, so look at it this way. You can get two teams for less than $200, which is about what it would cost to get a 35-point army. The down side is that you would have to spend all that money at once instead of being able to grow from the starter to the full army.

Doomshaper rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like the Butchers and Fishermen best (at least from what I saw from your other post with the links to the pics on the blog), so it looks like the entry cost might be a little lower. I may go with the starters (and starter rules) for the two factions to give them a shot.

What kind of tokens, besides the Influence tokens, are needed? I do like the idea of using the Hordes tokens...they've much more readily available here, too.

BTW - It's your fault I'm even thinking about it.... I'd written off the game on Kickstarter because of the cost of entry, but your &@$#%$ blog post here has re-ignited my interest....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
They have tokens to mark when there are different conditions on a figure, such as if the figure is on fire, bleeding, poisoned, or knocked down. The different characters have abilities that can give buffs or debuffs to themselves and others, just like you would use in Hordes, especially with the Trollbloods. The tokens in the token set are useful ones for the individual faction, much like the Warmahordes token sets have ones useful for each faction.

If you want some generic tokens representing the basic conditions, Armada has a nice set of 25 tokens which look to be the common conditions in Guild Ball for $13.99. Look for the "Guild Ball Status Token Multi Pack" om the Templates and Tokens page of their online store.

When you've been buying Trollkin casters and solos, the $15/figure isn't all that bad in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls