Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question came up in my first play. Couldn't seem to find it answered in the forums. Probably because it's common sense, but to put a debate to rest here goes...

Rules state you can't immediately discard a contract. It must go to your player board first.

So is this situation allowed:

You have two contracts (A and B) on your player board already. In this turn you choose two new ones (C and D) but you actually only want to keep A and D (and prevent an opponent from getting C...) so you:

1. Take C and put it on your board by discarding B
2. THEN take D and put it on your board by replacing the newly acquired C (So now you are left with A and D and effectively just discarded C and circumvented the rule..)

I argued this is illegal, as I interpret the timing to be:
1. You take BOTH contracts
2. THEN you must discard existing contracts to make room

Which implies you would have to discard BOTH A and B simultaneously in order to make room for C and D.

I was met with some hostility... But to me it seems like this is just a way to get around the "you can't discard a newly acquired contract" rule...

Further - since it has been established that the contracts slide only after taking BOTH, that my argument is valid (you must replace both old contracts simultaneously).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rulebook, page 8: "When you take contracts, you must also have room for them -- or you will need to make some. If you do not have enough space, you must discard one or both of your 'older' contracts first, adding them to the bottom of the special contract pile."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
magictom1 wrote:
This question came up in my first play. Couldn't seem to find it answered in the forums. Probably because it's common sense, but to put a debate to rest here goes...

Rules state you can't immediately discard a contract. It must go to your player board first.

So is this situation allowed:

You have two contracts (A and B) on your player board already. In this turn you choose two new ones (C and D) but you actually only want to keep A and D (and prevent an opponent from getting C...) so you:

1. Take C and put it on your board by discarding B
2. THEN take D and put it on your board by replacing the newly acquired C (So now you are left with A and D and effectively just discarded C and circumvented the rule..)

I argued this is illegal, as I interpret the timing to be:
1. You take BOTH contracts
2. THEN you must discard existing contracts to make room

Which implies you would have to discard BOTH A and B simultaneously in order to make room for C and D.

I was met with some hostility... But to me it seems like this is just a way to get around the "you can't discard a newly acquired contract" rule...

Further - since it has been established that the contracts slide only after taking BOTH, that my argument is valid (you must replace both old contracts simultaneously).
As Matt pointed out by quoting the rulebook, you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have ONLY 2 possibilities:

A) Take only one new contract
1. Discard B
2. Take D