Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason MacConnell
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are already planning our trip for next year and wanted to look at some new hotels for next year. She suggested that BGG might have a list of hotel reviews from GenCon attendees and I was surprised to find that it didn't so I'll start one...

Extended Stay America-Airport
(there seem to be two of these right by each other, this was the one on Southern)
Price: A+
-This place was about $55 a night, you can't really beat that price with a 10-15 drive to the convention center.
Cleanliness: C-
-Definitely not as clean as we would like, even taking into account they don't clean it while you're there unless you pay extra. Nothing we felt was unhealthy or unsafe, just not what we would have expected.
Gaming Friendliness: B
-It wasn't unfriendly in any way and they did have a lounge we could have played games in had we chose to. The staff asked if we were here for "Jin Con" (as they wrote on our receipt).
Amenities: C+
-There was coffee and some breakfast stuff in the lounge but that was about it. It had an outdoor pool but I'm not sure it was open.

We are looking for someplace a little nicer next year (ideally in the $80-100 range because we may need two rooms) but preferably not too much farther out from downtown. Anyone stay someplace that would fit the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
See also: http://community.gencon.com/forums/265.aspx for a more inclusive list of hotels and restaurants.

This year we stayed at the Hyatt Regency across the street from the ICC.
Price: C We booked out of block (never had luck with the housing lottery) so that took a bite out of our shopping budget. For a downtown hotel the price during Gen Con is pretty average if you don't get lucky (+$300 per night). Some of the rooms down the hall from us were packed full (4+ occupants)to help defray that cost.
Cleanliness: A+You get what you're paying for with their housekeeping staff. The rooms and facilities in the hotel were immaculate. All requests were handled quickly and with a smile by the staff.
Gaming Friendliness: A+Lots of table available in the lobby area. Conference rooms on the 2nd (and 3rd?) floors are used for games but during off peak times there are empty tables you can use.
Amenities: CThe Wifi is free...that's about it for extra stuff. No breakfasts (there is a small restaurant and a Starbucks on site). Parking is on par with other downtown hotels ($32 a night for self park or a small addition for valet - worth it if you ever leave and have to find another parking spot).

Our only issue was that the interior of the building is open so all the noise from the lobby travels up to the rooms (add some earplugs to your travel bag or get some from the front desk like I did and there's no problem).

If we hadn't already booked the Westin for 2016 we would definitely be returning to this hotel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasoMac wrote:
My wife and I are already planning our trip for next year and wanted to look at some new hotels for next year. She suggested that BGG might have a list of hotel reviews from GenCon attendees and I was surprised to find that it didn't so I'll start one...

Extended Stay America-Airport
(there seem to be two of these right by each other, this was the one on Southern)
Price: A+
-This place was about $55 a night, you can't really beat that price with a 10-15 drive to the convention center.
Cleanliness: C-
-Definitely not as clean as we would like, even taking into account they don't clean it while you're there unless you pay extra. Nothing we felt was unhealthy or unsafe, just not what we would have expected.
Gaming Friendliness: B
-It wasn't unfriendly in any way and they did have a lounge we could have played games in had we chose to. The staff asked if we were here for "Jin Con" (as they wrote on our receipt).
Amenities: C+
-There was coffee and some breakfast stuff in the lounge but that was about it. It had an outdoor pool but I'm not sure it was open.

We are looking for someplace a little nicer next year (ideally in the $80-100 range because we may need two rooms) but preferably not too much farther out from downtown. Anyone stay someplace that would fit the bill?
Can you describe in time how far you're willing to drive? I've stayed in hotels where I had to drive for 15 minutes on the local freeway, but not sure if that was technically "downtown" or not.

I'll see if I can dig up the info, but did get a motel at around $100 a day. It won't be better what you're looking for though.

I myself would gladly trade off some cleanliness and breakfast for a cheaper rate, as I just want a decent place to get a good night's sleep. Wifi and TV would be nice, but not required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason MacConnell
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is one thing I like about Indy is that you can stay at hotels that are not "downtown" but still be within a short trip to the convention center. The airport is really only about 10 minutes out and I'm sure there are plenty of hotels in other directions that are similarly short drives. Staying at a hotel by the airport in Chicago (either one) is not going to get you downtown in less that 45 minutes most times of day.

I would ideally like to be within 20-25 minutes of downtown but the direction really isn't a concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls