Subject: Panzer Leader to Squad Leader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay murphy

aspen
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever played a game of Panzer Leader where you transition to a game of Squad Leader when you initiate combat? That sounds like smoking cigarettes and chewing Skoal at the same time. Obviously there are issues with all the armor units in Panzer Leader, but when you have just infantry going at it it seems doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Interesting idea.
I like the concept, in general. My group did this sort of thing with A&A; master game on the board, and pull out the minis when you have a battle.

There would be some sorting out of the make-up of platoons, depending on how fussy you are about accuracy.
I wonder about scale. I haven't had Panzer Leader on the table for some time. Even with a certain 'suspension of disbelief', does SL scale down enough to make this realistic?
Otherwise, I think it's doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay murphy

aspen
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to do something like this with my ttrpg'ing. Simulate large scale combat that PC's find themselves in with an appropriate board game. Than the GM and players could go truly head to head. Imagine your player's reaction when you throw Grav Armor on the table during g your Traveller game! Here are the rules, this 8s the set up, and you are taking fire from orbital batteries. ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Adds a whole other dimension to the GM experience!
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its an interesting idea, maybe to resolve close assaults. Has anyone put some thought into describing the PB/PL infantry units in SL terms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Shouldn't be too difficult. Both PB and PL provide a breakdown of each of the units. As long as you aim for a consistent strength comparison, you could probably come up with SL equivalents fairly easily.
PB says the hex scale is 250m, which, directly translated, would mean a 6 hex diameter on a SL board.
Here's where the suspension of belief comes in. You could probably get away with using say a half board, giving you approximately 10 by 10, but a reasonably sized playing area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenkster 65
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmm....A number of other "master" games come to mind: D-Day, Russian Campaign, Anzio, Panzer Armee Afrika, and even Blitzkrieg or Tactics II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls