Subject: Combining cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I realize this question has been asked before, but I haven't ever really seen my specific question answered.

I purchased all of the available new monsters, card packs, and doorways at Gen Con. I just finished assembling City of the Ancients and was sleeving my cards. Obviously, some of the card supplements are specific to certain parts of the game (Targa artifacts obviously mix in with that deck). However, the new gear or Darkness cards that come in the supplements or doorways expansion sort of float in limbo. The same with the new encounter cards.

I see some people saying they are leaving certain things out or separate, but the way the cards are produced, that's easier said than done. I appreciate that the card backs are the same, but it makes this a bit annoying. When I want to switch from City of the Ancients stuff with the Mines encounter pack already mixed in, it's a bit annoying to have to sort through and find the cards specific to that supplement to mix into the Swamps of Death core set (or even Caverns of Cynder).

So my question is this:

What harm or drawbacks are there to simply mixing all of the same types of cards together? Will it break the game in anyway? Is there a "master list" of what cards to withhold when doing this to prevent over saturation (if that's even a problem)? Has FFP given an "official" statement on this?

Thanks guys.

Also, has there been any info on if we'll ever be able to purchase additional miniatures from the base game? I was going through things tonight and noticed that there's a few times where you could be required to place more enemies on the board than there are figures for. For example, one High threat has 1 Night Terror + 1 Med threat. One of the Med threats is D3 Night Terrors. Well in that case, you could end up with 4 Night Terrors. I don't like to proxy figures.

And finally, here's my assembled base set + slugs + Burrower. That Burrower is a BEAST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixing all decks works well with a couple exceptions. In both cases, combining decks doesn't change the card ratio, but increases variance in an undesirable way. This can lead to card draws that make the game weird and/or boring. The exceptions are:

1. The Scavenge and Loot decks should not be combined. You should use a single 12-card deck from one of the boxed sets for each of the Scavenge and Loot decks and leave your duplicate decks in the box.

2. The Mine Exploration deck gets inconsistent when you combine multiple decks. When you combine multiple Mine Decks into a single deck, there is a significant chance that your early explorations will have too many passages. To correct this:

- Set aside one set of passages (the cards that say "No Exploration Token" at the bottom). This will be one each of Short, Mid, Long, Corner, Cross and T-Junction. Leave any additional passage cards in the box.

- Shuffle your remaining Mine Deck cards and count twelve off the top.

- Shuffle the six passages into the top twelve Mine Deck cards and place this on top of the other Mine Deck cards.

This means the top 18 cards of your Mine Deck will be just like a single base set Mine Deck in terms of variance, but can include tiles from all your different sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get additional minis on ebay etc usually the red KS duplicates.

That said any time you don't have enough models thone on the board gain an elite ability so there should be no need to proxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Mixing all decks works well with a couple exceptions. In both cases, combining decks doesn't change the card ratio, but increases variance in an undesirable way. This can lead to card draws that make the game weird and/or boring. The exceptions are:

1. The Scavenge and Loot decks should not be combined. You should use a single 12-card deck from one of the boxed sets for each of the Scavenge and Loot decks and leave your duplicate decks in the box.

2. The Mine Exploration deck gets inconsistent when you combine multiple decks. When you combine multiple Mine Decks into a single deck, there is a significant chance that your early explorations will have too many passages. To correct this:

- Set aside one set of passages (the cards that say "No Exploration Token" at the bottom). This will be one each of Short, Mid, Long, Corner, Cross and T-Junction. Leave any additional passage cards in the box.

- Shuffle your remaining Mine Deck cards and count twelve off the top.

- Shuffle the six passages into the top twelve Mine Deck cards and place this on top of the other Mine Deck cards.

This means the top 18 cards of your Mine Deck will be just like a single base set Mine Deck in terms of variance, but can include tiles from all your different sets.

So just to make sure I understand you:

I can play either of the base games with either of the scavenge/loot decks, but I should not play with both sets?

There is no issue adding the promo/supplemental packs to one of the decks, right?

I can toss in all the new encounters to make the enemies fun/varied without any impact on the game?

I apologize for the silly questions, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I wish FFP would come out and give a nice errata on how to combine all the stuff to make the most of my multiple hundred dollar investment, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:

I can play either of the base games with either of the scavenge/loot decks, but I should not play with both sets?

There is no issue adding the promo/supplemental packs to one of the decks, right?

I can toss in all the new encounters to make the enemies fun/varied without any impact on the game?

I apologize for the silly questions, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I wish FFP would come out and give a nice errata on how to combine all the stuff to make the most of my multiple hundred dollar investment, haha.

Mix everything man, it's how it's meant to be used. Use the recommendation for the mind deck (use one set of passage cards (6 cards) and 12 random cards from all your mine map cards. Also one scavenge deck, since that gets shuffled every use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not combine:

Loot deck
Scavenge deck
Encounter tokens

Everything else can be safely combined. The mine map deck can get a little swingy and lead to lots of passages; there are several threads around with ways of mitigating that (removing some passage cards, discarding the second passage drawn in a row, etc). If you want a specific feel to your mission, feel free to modify the map deck and remove any cards/tiles you don't want.

Quote:
Also, has there been any info on if we'll ever be able to purchase additional miniatures from the base game? I was going through things tonight and noticed that there's a few times where you could be required to place more enemies on the board than there are figures for. For example, one High threat has 1 Night Terror + 1 Med threat. One of the Med threats is D3 Night Terrors. Well in that case, you could end up with 4 Night Terrors. I don't like to proxy figures.

You don't have to proxy figures. The rules go over what to do in this situation: any time you need to place monsters and don't have a mini available, add an elite ability to that monster type.

rulebook page 20 wrote:
Not Enough Models

If you are called on to place more Enemies of a particular Enemy Type than you have models available (for instance, you must place 4 Tentacles, but you only have 2 models as the rest are already on the board), place all of the models that you do have available, and ALL Enemies of that Type become Elite for the duration of this Fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:

You can freely combine everything from both sets, but you don't want to combine the scavenge and loot decks (and encounter chits, as Adria pointed out). You use exactly one 12-card deck for each. Each base set includes a copy of these decks, but you only need one while playing.

Quote:
Nope, that works great.

Quote:
Absolutely!

Quote:
I wish FFP would come out and give a nice errata on how to combine all the stuff to make the most of my multiple hundred dollar investment, haha.
Almost everything can be combined. The reason you don't combine Loot, Scavenge, Encounter stuff is that they don't have new content in each set. They are more like a rules tool, used instead of having a table in the book and rolling dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I understand and agree with only using one loot deck, but I'm curious how everyone handles games with 5-6 players. The loot deck only has 12 cards, but each player can get up to 3 loot cards depending on how many cards added creatures to the battle.
Do you limit this to 2/player instead?
Do you have each person draw 2, reshuffle, then each draws 1?
If you have 5-6, do you mix your loot decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 cards per player isn't that common. 5+ players also not super common.

If you do have that situation, you deal out 12, resolve them, shuffle, then continue dealing to those who still have Loot coming to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls