Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Albion's Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Will the 2nd edition be available at retail, or only for KS backers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Odum
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Albion's Legacy at retail. I had never heard of it until it appeared as a new arrival on Miniature Market's home page.

I tried to play it solo in advance of getting the family to play, but stopped after an hour or two of frustration.

There were many things I disliked, but the two main things that caused me to box it up, and put it in the closet were the horrible rulebook, and the embarrassingly small board.

Enough has probably already been written here about the rulebook, so I'll just say trying to learn the game from it was painful.

As for the board, I have no idea if it was intentional for the spaces on the board to be significantly smaller than the tiles that connect to it, but my board got very crowded. It felt cheap, and just wasn't fun to play on.

Tonight I saw Aron's post about the V2 rule book, and its link to the KS update about the 2nd edition.

It looks like the rule book is getting a makeover, which is great news.

It also looks like many components, including the board, are getting replaced in the 2nd edition, which is also great news..

Unless you aren't a KS backer.

Is there any chance the 2nd edition will make its way to retail, or are only enough being made for the backer replacements?

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gofton
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jeff,

Yeah, the entire manufacturing process was an absolute shark tank. We were bullied at every turn. I've made several posts about the crap we went through with the company Warmer International.

On top of everything they did incorrectly, (us being first time game creators) they refused to fix it. Some basic examples are...

The game board --- OUR own printed demo copies line up. We took great pains to make sure the board lines up. In the final run, Warmer shrunk the artwork, thus making the board smaller. Super frustrating. Again.... they used a sticker and not a board.... and they basically said 'OH WELL' when we questioned it.

Dice... I gave them the pan-tone of red they were supposed to use. They ignored it and gave us stock orange dice! When I argued it, they said it was the lighting in the pictures they sent me. Then they silk screened it. sigh.

Reference cards - we got quoted on 4 cards.... each game came with only 1.

Standees... oh they forgot about them.. which is why they are thrown in the box haphazardly so they can scratch everything.

Yes... I could vent for a very long time. So I'm not reprinting the second run with them. Our new manufacturer is coming overseeing from a larger publisher than has taken us under their wing. We won't be taken advantage of again.

The backers are getting a copy yes. The second print will be available in retail and we're looking for some sort of upgrade options. I'm not sure what the options are yet, since I'm already sitting at 20K loss... But we're working on something for retail.

Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is useful background to know. I must admit I was one of those who bought the game on impulse at a local game store and then had a negative reaction upon opening the box. But....

...after playing it, I was able to look past the dice, the small main board, the rules, etc. and see a very interesting game with lots of choices at every turn.

If a second edition is produced, or if a second KS is launched, I'll be in. An upgrade option for owners of the 1st edition would be great.

While I have you on the line, is there any update on when expansions will be available retail? My biggest regret is missing the KS on this, and the Sherwood game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not mind a larger board and eagerly await a revised rulebook. The game is fun and playable as is, but it does take some work to figure out how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if the board will be a lot bigger than it now from what I have seen elsewhere (although it also maybe shaped round the walls rather than rectangular) but it will be changed so the Tiles can meet up from the Sally Port and Docks Realms without shifting them round like you have to do now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lund
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
Why not supply a 2nd edition to anyone with a valid bar code number printed on the box? I own a 1st edition, and my copy is great (nothing miss or damaged etc) except the notorious standee bases. Otherwise game stores will have sold their copies to people like me at retail, then get a second edition for free which they will sell at retail. Doesn't seem fair that games stores will make twice the money, and the people who purchased defective 1st editions miss out

Still, I love the game with my complete copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Odum
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Thomas,

>> The second print will be available in retail

Excellent news. That's what I was hoping for. Thank you!

>> and we're looking for some sort of upgrade options.

That would be great, but it would be completely understandable if the logistics of such a thing would make it impractical.

Thanks much for the info, and taking the time to reply!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this at retail recently, and played our first game yesterday. We have a Plano box to hold most of the contents, and have bought better plastic stands for the standees, but the board...wow. The game is a lot of fun, and with the updated rule book we can figure out just about everything, but trying to play with that board is visually very tough.

I would be happy if there were a way to just get a modified board...everything else either works or can be worked around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Ok I just found out about this game after watching Starlit Citadel's review. I like Arthurian legends, and everything about this game interests me. I am kicking myself to have missed the KS campaign and therefore missed the chance to get the deluxe box.

I suppose the retail version will have to do, but thanks to the information in this thread, I think I will wait until the second edition hit the shelf then I will definitely buy this game.

I also read elsewhere that the stuff in deluxe box will be released as expansions? Will those be available for retail as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel,

This is from Aron the head honcho for the rulebook re-write amongst other things taken form another forum question about the expansion stuff

"We plan to release the expansions included in the Deluxe version of the game for retail in the next year or two. I'm not sure when exactly since the re-print has to come first."

FYI A recent update suggested that the reprint is hoped to be in the hands of the backers before Xmas, although I would guess retail copies to Australia would be a bit after this though, assuming this does go to schedule anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls