Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slight disagreement was had over encountering ice.

A piece of Ice (I cannot recall which) had the text a Runner may break a subroutine by paying 1 click

I contend that in order to use this ability you first have to interract with it e.g. require an icebreaker of the correct type/sub-type and have strength equal to or greater than the ICE. This allows you to encounter the ICE and either break it or use the text on it.

The other view is :- wrote:

You don't even need a programme to encounter ICE.
If you don't have a Programme or if your Programme can't break the subroutines then all subroutines are triggered.
The card that set this off (don't remember the name) had the ability that the runner could give up a click to break any subroutine - so even without a programme I could have done that.

I believe you always have to interract with ICE - unless you have an Event/Hardware that allows you to interact without a programme. Before an icebreaker can interact with a piece of ice, the icebreaker’s strength must be equal to or higher than the encountered ice’s strength.

Can anyone chime in hear please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check out the latest version of the FAQ (available on FFG's website), you can see that it has officially been ruled that the runner doesn't need icebreakers to spend clicks to break subroutines on bioroids. You can find the full text here.

For further explanation: the runner doesn't have strength or the ability to break subroutines. The runner doesn't make runs with icebreakers, either. The runner themself makes runs, and then on those runs they encounter ice. If the runner doesn't want to suffer the effects of a subroutine, they must break it. There are a few ways to break subroutines without icebreakers (for example, with Quetzal's ID ability or the program Grappling Hook), but the most common way is to use icebreakers. Icebreakers are special subtypes of programs, and they are the only thing in the game that have the interaction rules and strength requirements. Those rules and requirements aren't on the runner or on breaking subroutines, they are only on icebreakers.

I hope that helps clear it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
I assume the ICE was one of the Bioroid ICE since they all have the spend click to break subroutine thing on them.

The must match strength to interact condition is only for Icebreakers anything else can interact with ICE at will.

If the ability is on the ICE then you don't need an Icebreaker, you're free to just spend clicks to get through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a bioroid ice, you don't need to match strength or have a breaker at all.. just need to spend the clicks or face the subroutines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need an icebreaker to encounter ICE.

Basically, a run goes like this :

1. Reveal next ICE (if needed)
2. Encounter ICE. Trigger cards passive/ICE abilities. Runner may also use adequate Icebreaker to break subroutines
3. Trigger all ICE subroutines not broken, in listed order.
4. If Runner is still alive and Running, Runner may jack out
5. Repeat 1-5 until no ICE is left
6. Access target

The Icebreaker is only used to bypass subroutines (using the IB's abilities to break subroutines, usually by spending money), this has nothing to do with other ICE abilities.
If the ICE says its subroutines can be broken for 1 click, then the runner does not even need any program to break those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
It makes no sense that you would need an icebreaker of a certain type to break bioroid ice as there are no ice breakers that specifically target bioroid that I'm aware of. You would be forced to run AI breakers all the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hunter
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
It makes no sense that you would need an icebreaker of a certain type to break bioroid ice as there are no ice breakers that specifically target bioroid that I'm aware of. You would be forced to run AI breakers all the time...
Bioroid ice also have other subtypes such as barrier, code gate, or sentry that allow non-AI icebreakers to interact with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls