• [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job with the demo ! I loved the gameplay looks a lot of fun ! Plays fast .. I'm still not sure what to think on the ending . Anyone else have thoughts on how it ended ? Seemed a little anti- climactic . The bust down the door then all die sorry game over over lol. I didn't see that coming . Still looks like a blast and I'm glade I went all in .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for doing these demos. I had the first one with you on Sunday morning. What is your view regarding the Breach and Clear events? It felt totally random to me. Our 3-man team made it to the objective room right away, with no damage on us, and basically we just got diced to death in the B&C event. Is the B&C just random or are there ways to influence the outcome and/or impactful choices to make during the event itself? I was not feeling it, though I liked the game overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had the same thoughts on the breach and clear .. It seemed like a huge dice roll off .. I didn't see a way to mitigate it .. All the mercs had full health so it was a little disappointing to see a group of super elite get wiped out like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
noahshu wrote:
I also had the same thoughts on the breach and clear .. It seemed like a huge dice roll off .. I didn't see a way to mitigate it .. All the mercs had full health so it was a little disappointing to see a group of super elite get wiped out like that

This was my experience when play testing this last year (shortly after the KS closed). Most of the overal game mechanics that I remember playing at that time are still in the game I saw in the video. I didn't make the time to play it at Gencon so am glad Tobin posted this play session.

Tobin described the B&C as "basically a dice race" (17:50). I can say the mechanics of the B&C are much better now than they were 12 months ago. Originally (if I remember correctly) MERCS could move and use skills in the B&C. It was still a dice race, but it had a bit more strategy involved. BUT it was confusing as heck. I am happy to see the experience a little more streamlined even if it's a bit rote in its mechanics.

As far as the MERCS getting wiped, I don't really mind that. I think it would be pretty boring to only be challenged by the elite opfor. Busting into a room with bullets ablaze can be pretty random - well, that's my impression anyway. Those opfor dice rolls in the video were pretty brutal and why they lost (and their own rolls were as bad as the opfor brutal ... a perfect storm of dice outcomes).

As this looks right now, I'll be placing my copy for sale once I receive around the holidays. Maybe I can make someone's Christmas grand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Megacon replied on Facebook that the game is supposed to be played with 5 MERCS and going in to a B&C with less than 4 is a bad idea...doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Black Knight wrote:
Megacon replied on Facebook that the game is supposed to be played with 5 MERCS and going in to a B&C with less than 4 is a bad idea...doh!

Thanks for posting that Black Knight! Good find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work... thanks for posting this.

B&C has always seemed the weak part of the game. Like an action movie where everything wraps up too neatly.

If it's bad, I'm sure it can be house ruled... Even if you do something like step up the security level when the objective is recovered. Put it on a Merc and if they are down it has to be recovered. So getting the objective is just part of the mission, get in and get out.

That's only if it really doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
San Gabriel Valley Southern California
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! I can't watch it until tomorrow. Work today morning shift, then off to gaming store for weekly play then back to work after for morning shift again. Gah! I might be interested in getting another set of figures for Recon that I can paint myself and use a demo pieces. Since the models I am going to get painted will be commissioned which would take a while to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Black Knight wrote:

Don't think it mattered so much in this case as the Agent rolls were so good and the MERCS rolls were kind of crappy. I thought the demoer mentioned that someone had a smoke grenade that didn't allow the enemy to attack back or something like that. Didn't seem them use it.

Hopefully there will be some subtle things you can do to mitigate the B&C from being just a matter of who rolls better. Also, perhaps the different MERCS factions will play differently in the B&C and offer more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
Black Knight wrote:

Don't think it mattered so much in this case as the Agent rolls were so good and the MERCS rolls were kind of crappy. I thought the demoer mentioned that someone had a smoke grenade that didn't allow the enemy to attack back or something like that. Didn't seem them use it.

Hopefully there will be some subtle things you can do to mitigate the B&C from being just a matter of who rolls better. Also, perhaps the different MERCS factions will play differently in the B&C and offer more options.

Fine with me... this was bought for solo play (in my case...) so more troops is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the quickness of Breach and Clear. The decision making seems to stem from using your B&C ability.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the rules for it seem pretty elegant and streamlined. Hopefully the different B&C abilities will offer actual decisions to be made, even as far as what order you want to be in when being placed in the room. So if there are ways to mitigate the entry order, then that can also become part of the decision making leading up to the B&C that could have an effect on the outcome of the B&C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Once a B&C has started, it looks like a player only has 1 binary decision to make per turn: use the B&C special ability or not. Are there any other options?

It seems like B&Cs are intended to be relatively short and random, where the decisions are about how to minimize the number of B&Cs, how to get to them quickly, how to maximize the number of MERCS there and how to survive the aftermath (assuming you win the B&C). The B&C seems to have a short/tense cinematic feel to it (because you're mostly just watching to see how it plays out).

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but that's my impression from the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Squire
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the (not final) rulebook on the website, each MERC only gets one activation during the B&C, and they have the option of taking cover (no attack, but provide +1Ld8 to all attacking MERCS and soak extra damage) or attacking (special ability or normal attack). In the video they all attacked, and I think went around the table more than once?

It seems like most of the decision making is before the B&C. Setting up the conditions to be most favorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Also, thanks snap2cover for posting the video!! I'm really looking forward to trying this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davin Hatsengate
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also I believe some MERCS have a melee attack action which moves their position in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Burchett
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avengers! Cowabunga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Recon because of how random the missions can be. After hearing Tobin talking about all the games being different that is good news!

I think Recon does a great job of having the mission(s) go awry. We here about and read stories of all of these Delta Force teams and SEALS going on top-secret mission and crap hitting the fan. Recon has a lot of crap that can hit the fan.

As far as the dice rolling for the B&C... It stinks that highly trained MERCS would have such poor dice rolls. Their dice rolls, in the demo, were the equivalent of untrained soldiers. I would like to see how much variety there is between the factions. Plus, each faction has 10 guys to choose from, so each combination of MERCS can provide a different type of mission and outcomes!

What if the team did not include a leader with a scanner? What if one was a sniper? Or what if melee characters could gain dice in the B&C from moving around the room?

Also, the demo did not show an interrogation or much hallway fighting. This game has great potential and will have great replay ability! My buddies and I will definitely play this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.