Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edington Watt
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I encountered in the game an Evil Omen event which subtracts one from ALL dice rolls except a couple of exceptions mentioned on the card (Initiative, Events Table and Persuasion Attempt rolls which instead of a minus one gets a plus 1 to the roll).

Of these list of exceptions, it did not mention Tax Farmer Concession destruction which can occur due to Leaders/Wars causing a die to be rolled and seeing if any Tax Farmer Concession cards match that roll which then become destroyed.

So if going strictly by the rules, a Tax Farmer Concession needing a die roll of 1 or 6 will never be destroyed if an Evil Omen is in effect (6 - 1 = 5, and 1 - 1 = 0). This seems like a good thing -- which is sort of against the theme of Evil Omens which does bad things.

How have you guys played this? Do you have a house rule that the Evil Omens do not effect a Tax Farmer destruction die roll?

Thanks once again.

--DarkDream
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
2 - 1 = 1, right?

I don't think Evil Omen was intended to alter the die roll of destroying Tax Farmers. In fact, it has never occurred to me to play it that way, and I've played this game a lot. I think you are right in that it is technically a house rule, since the letter of the rules says that it should be modified. It has almost no real effect (just protects the Tax Farmer 6 from a handful of Wars and Leaders), but I would advocate for the house rule anyway, as I believe that was the designer's intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tax Farmer roll isn't a roll to determine if a TF is destroyed, but which TF is destroyed. The Evil Omens adversely affect all chance dice rolls, but should not impact the determination die roll in question. It may not be specified in the rules, but I am confident that it would have been if the writers had thought of that possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thought about this one too, but we play with the house rule that the destruction choice is unaffected by Evil Omens (for the exact reason you said.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.