Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, obviously if the A and D are the same, then you use 1:1. If A is half the D, then you use 1:2. If A is double the D, you use 2:1. Etc. If A : D is greater than 1:1, but not quite 2:1, then you use either 1:1 or +2 depending on the value of A - D (3:2 uses 1:1, 5:3 uses +2). If this is not clear, maybe you could sight some specific cases we could discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was (correctly?) pointed out in the other thread that 1:2 should use the 1:2 column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Well, obviously if the A and D are the same, then you use 1:1. If A is half the D, then you use 1:2. If A is double the D, you use 2:1. Etc. If A : D is greater than 1:1, but not quite 2:1, then you use either 1:1 or +2 depending on the value of A - D (3:2 uses 1:1, 5:3 uses +2). If this is not clear, maybe you could sight some specific cases we could discuss.

that seems to make sense. I feel like there was a part in the example that showed the attackers with 14 and the defense at 7 and the colum you were instructed to use was +2 -- this threw me off. I dont have the rules with me so I cant confirm this.

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The example in the rules shows a 7 attacker vs a 12 defender. 6:12 would be the 1:2 column, and 10:12 would be the -2 column. The actual attack doesn't quite reach the 1:2 column, so you use the -2 column.

In cases where the ratio matches 2 columns, you use the one that favors the side with the greater value. For example, if the attacker had 2 and the defender had 4, then both the 1:2 column and the -2 column fit. It is in the defender's favor to use the 1:2 column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGG.CON VFM Sales OVER now, thanks!
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
Can someone please explain the combat table to me...without making fun of me

-B

We just played last night, and I think I've finally figured out a way to explain the table in a way that is concise and clear:

- compare the attackerefender ratio of strengths, and also the attacker-defender difference
- if just one column matches exactly, use it (of course!)
- if 2 columns match exactly (e.g., 4:2 or 2:4), use the column furthest from the center (1:1) column
- if you're between 2 columns, use the one closest to the center (1:1) (note - this includes odds off the chart; if you're between 3:1 and the imaginary infinite column, you use 3:1 'cause it's closer to 1:1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI - Martin Wallace confirms that my explanation above gets you to the correct column on the lookup table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Teixeira
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, okay we have just played our first game game of this and we have got stuck working out the combat table. We are not great at ratios and cannot for the life of use work out what to use for 8 attacker to 5 defender - can anyone explain this very simply please!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latex Jedi wrote:
Well, okay we have just played our first game game of this and we have got stuck working out the combat table. We are not great at ratios and cannot for the life of use work out what to use for 8 attacker to 5 defender - can anyone explain this very simply please!!!!!

Attacker is at least 2 stronger (+2) but not quite doubly strong (2:1 =10:5) so attacker uses the +2 column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Teixeira
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah ha, that makes much more sense - thank you for a quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Latex Jedi wrote:

- compare the attacker / defender ratio of strengths, and also the attacker-defender difference
- if just one column matches exactly, use it (of course!)
- if 2 columns match exactly (e.g., 4:2 or 2:4), use the column furthest from the center (1:1) column
- if you're between 2 columns, use the one closest to the center (1:1) (note - this includes odds off the chart; if you're between 3:1 and the imaginary infinite column, you use 3:1 'cause it's closer to 1:1)

Attacker is at least 2 stronger (+2) but not quite doubly strong (2:1 =10:5) so attacker uses the +2 column.

Combat has kept this off the table so far so I'm hear to learn of it and hopefully I can get this played. Using your example:

attacker / defender ratio: 8 : 5
attacker / defender difference: +3

Process:
1) No exact single-column match, so
2) No 2 columns match, so
3) Since you are +3, you are to the RIGHT of the +2 column; You are also to the LEFT of the 2:1 column; therefore, you are between the +2 and 2:1 columns. Using the column closest to the center yields the +2 column.

Ex. #2:
attacker / defender ratio: 10 : 8
attacker / defender difference: +2

Process:
1) exact single-column match - +2

Yah?

Question: What is the maximum power of units one side might have in a battle? How high does one fighting force get for a single battle? 5? 10? 15? 20?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, both examples correct.

No idea about maximum power -- I haven't played this in a very long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.