BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crystal spire and blood field placement question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing with the expansion a bit lately and I just want to make sure I got the placement rules right for these two new tiles:
In short, I deploy them as if they were one of my units. i.e: It has to be placed in one of the marked spots in my scenario carad, it has to be and empty space, i can't place another unit on the same spot etc...

The reason I ask is because I am finding using the new tiles strategically a bit hard. The placement makes it so that if you put them far behind you waste turns going back to them to use their effects. If you put them in front, you lose turns trying to get your units to push forward.

It is probably a trade off but it doesn't seem worth it.

Did I get the placement rules correct?

Tips on using them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation is correct. There are some scenarios that have the tiles placed above the deployment zone.

I have used both tiles in my optional setups, with the crystal being effective. The siege golem can cover most of the board from the rear, so a crystal gets good use if he just sits on it. The blood field usually requires movement from another space so it doesn't get as much use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found the crystal useful to put alongside a point that needs to be defended in order to maximize VPs. Units trying to retake a lost position getting an extra die.

The blood field just tend to tie up units and use up moves that would otherwise be used constructively in battle. I even find that the barricades aren't as useful as they seem at first.

Personally I prefer to invest the cost of these terrain tiles in the army units. For example using two army building points to promote a Blood Harvester to Ripper Brutes cavalry unit is better value than buying a little used Blood field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, i was hoping I was missing something on the placement rules...

I am gonna take some risks and try some strategies with them see if I can make anything work...but yeah...not finding them extremely useful...I might try some of your suggestions .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the nature of the victory conditions in BL2 that make the blood fields difficult to use. In a normal Commands and Colors based game such as Memoir of CC Ancients VPs are scored by removing units. Blood fields would be useful in these types of game because time is not critical, whereas unit strength is important. So recycling units through a blood field and adding replacements would be useful.

With BL2 time is critical as VPs are scored when objectives are held. An opponent lacking in VP generating points does not have luxury of time to recycle battered units through blood fields but needs to commit to battle in order to take VP generating points from their opponents.

That is why you may find the blood fields not particularly helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd imagine blood fields to be useful when used with a lot of low cost units. Blood Harvesters, berserkers, a blood sister or two..... there are enough of them to effectively recycle troops and not sacrifice point acquisition, eapecially in those scenarios where occupying more ________ hexes earns you VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls