Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought six cases of Hecatomb (two of each set), and I want to inflict them on some work friends. Eventually, I think a draft would be great, but none of them have ever played Hecatomb, and at least one of them doesn't want to draft in a game with which he has no familiarity.

So then I thought sealed might be better, except from what I've read, doing a 4-booster sealed event typically means you're just going to cut one doom, which doesn't seem to leave much room for thoughtful deck construction. Also, it means that my friends will have to parse 52 new cards, which is a little more than I'd prefer.

3-booster sealed with a 30-card deck limit sounds better, but it still means you're almost certainly going to be simply cutting one doom.

So I thought about it, and here's the solution I came up with:

Hostage Exchange

Players: 4

Before boosters are distributed, each player must select a doom (Deceit, Corruption, Destruction, Greed). Two players can't select the same doom.

Each player gets three boosters. After opening the three boosters, each player gives all his or her cards of a particular doom to an opposing player, as described below:

* Deceit player gives all Destruction cards to the Destruction player
* Destruction player gives all Deceit cards to the Deceit player
* Corruption player gives all Greed cards to the Greed player
* Greed player gives all Corruption cards to the Corruption player

Each player now builds a 30-card deck out of his or her pool of cards (which, statistically, will be about 37-41 cards, spread across three dooms).

The goal is to give each player a wider pool of "primary" doom cards to use, while giving that player the choice of which "secondary" doom cards to run.

This format is possible with two players, but the two players must choose opposing dooms (Destruction/Deceit or Corruption/Greed).

If anyone has any feedback or thoughts, I'd love to hear it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had time to think about your variant but I WANT TO PLAY HECATOMB!!!

I HAVE SO MUCH HECATOMB IN MY BASEMENT!!!

SO!!! MUCH!!! HECATOMB!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scud-O wrote:
I haven't had time to think about your variant but I WANT TO PLAY HECATOMB!!!

I HAVE SO MUCH HECATOMB IN MY BASEMENT!!!

SO!!! MUCH!!! HECATOMB!!!

HEEEEEE

CAAAAA

TOOOOOO

MB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.