16 Posts

Yashima: Legend of the Kami Masters» Forums » General

Subject: Does Yashima play best as a TEAM game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player elimination is a factor that many folks don't like in games. This is especially difficult if you are the first one knocked out in an hour long game. Initially, I was a fan of the way Yashima dealt with this mechanic. "Be careful who you kill, for they may come back to kill you!" The problem with coming back as a "Restored" character though, is that while you are essentially now something of a "King-Maker", you cannot win the game.

In a team game however, an eliminated player CAN come back restored to help his/her team win the game. So in that aspect I wonder if a 2v2 (Or eventually 2v2v2, or 3v3) game could be the best way to play Yashima. Having not played a Team game yet, I wonder if the risk of hitting your allies with attacks is worth the trade-off of having more of a purpose once you get destroyed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I run demos of Yashima, I try to play it with teams. It's more forgiving if you make mistakes since the burden is shared between two or more players. It also shows off the restored mechanic well.

I personally feel that team games are more fun in Yashima because restored matters and friendly-fire becomes more interesting.

But I've seen it many times in FFA matches where players don't want to be the "bad guy" and take out a player, because they will almost surely return the favor.

I've also seen many players TRY to kill themselves in order to restore earlier than their opponents expect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the FFA aspect can foster "temporary" alliances, which is also an interesting mechanic, especially when they are broken. Clearly I need to play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shon James
msg tools
For 3 player games I prefer playing to the death. IE you must defeat the restored masters and be the last one standing. This way it is still possible for a restored master to win.

Best is subjective, obviously, but I think most people would say 1v1 and 2v2 are in fact that. However, I find 3 player to be enjoyable as well, although we do play the variant I mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why bother doing restored in the first place? Wouldn't that just take double time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that next year we can have a team tournament at Gen Con. It's a fun way to use all of the aspects of your master and still be able to win. The team match that was the semifinals this year was very intense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cropcircles wrote:
I'm hoping that next year we can have a team tournament at Gen Con. It's a fun way to use all of the aspects of your master and still be able to win. The team match that was the semifinals this year was very intense.
Good idea, Aaron! Perhaps two separate tournaments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the king maker, I would deem that restoration should only occur in team matches, not all vs all games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
Because of the king maker, I would deem that restoration should only occur in team matches, not all vs all games.

I'd typically agree with you, but some people love king makers. devil

It does add an interesting level of strategy to FFA matches where you are playing against strangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shon James
msg tools
Crabbok wrote:
Then why bother doing restored in the first place? Wouldn't that just take double time?

It tends to do two things. The first is it negates people being eliminated quickly by a couple of lucky hits. The second is it also helps negate any ganging up. It doesn't eliminate it necessarily, but you really don't want to be the one a restored master turns their focus on.

It does make the game longer yes, but I don't find they run very long once you know what you're doing.

You absolutely could just ignore the restored phase, if you wanted to speed things up. It is however possible for a low life combo to be taken out in a single round (4 attacks against them). I can see the appeal of playing that way as well, so whatever works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shon James
msg tools
LoreChase wrote:
Squatting Monkey wrote:

I'd typically agree with you, but some people love king makers. devil

It does add an interesting level of strategy to FFA matches where you are playing against strangers.

Vengeance is so fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Gullotti
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shon911 wrote:
Vengeance is so fun!

Based on this alone:

Shon911 wrote:
It is however possible for a low life combo to be taken out in a single round (4 attacks against them).

I can tell you play with a cut-throat group of players. It takes a special group of players to drop everything and all turn and smash the weak guy in the same round. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a typical game I go after the weakest player, but in Yashima I go after the strongest... I don't want anyone restoring too soon!

If I happen to be the one who restores, I generally go after the player I least want to win. It isn't necessarily the guy who took me out, often times its the coward who has been hanging out around the hearts... I hate turtles! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part about the Kingmaker is the threat of it.

Ideally, I'll want to get all of my enemies low, and find myself in a position to hit the entire group with one HUGE attack to kill them all and then claim victory without the threat of the restored next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Depew
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:

I've only played 2 three-player games, but both of them ended in a draw because of the power of the restored. From what I can tell it's going to take special consideration to win in a 3 player game because of restoration. It was different Masters both times as well that wiped out the living, one was a restored Akiko, the other a restored Rosamu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
llyrghmnghyll wrote:
I've only played 2 three-player games, but both of them ended in a draw because of the power of the restored. From what I can tell it's going to take special consideration to win in a 3 player game because of restoration. It was different Masters both times as well that wiped out the living, one was a restored Akiko, the other a restored Rosamu.
I'm curious how these draws occurred, this has been pretty rare in my play groups... The restored master took out both the un-restored masters in the same swing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls