United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop announcing cool crap so many months before I can actually get my hands on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Stop announcing cool crap so many months before I can actually get my hands on it.

I agree with this actually, for a very specific reason though. I have the same problem with new TV shows. Studios announce and hype them up months in advance and then the advertising runs out of steam. By the time they show the pilot episode, nothing's been said (comparatively) about them and I miss the first 2-3 episodes until my friends start talking about them again.

Getting psyched up about something like this months ahead of time can be fun, but they should be careful to make sure they start the advertising engine back up in time to get people excited about release. FFG is better at managing this than the TV studios are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is usually pretty good about keeping articles going until release, including a release announcement. Most other companies on the other hand make very little or no attempt to hype or advertise upcoming releases. That is probably one of the biggest things holding the board game industry back; the companies have virtually no marketing.

That said, I wish there wasn't so much downtime between announcement and the first preview article! The wait is murder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

For me it's ok. I need time to save that amount of money since taxes here are brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is suppose to come out in q3. Q3 ends in 6 weeks so the game should be here soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG tends to wait until a game has finished development to announce it, which is better than most other publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus big companies tend to make big press release announcements during large conventions and conferences to get the most of free publicity from all the major industry press coverage at these events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Sremić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite happy with this system. This way I know couple of months in advance what's in the pipeline and this helps a lot to determine which games I'll buy. My budget is quite limited and it's good to know before buying a game if some potentially better game is coming along soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lulavac wrote:
I am quite happy with this system. This way I know couple of months in advance what's in the pipeline and this helps a lot to determine which games I'll buy. My budget is quite limited and it's good to know before buying a game if some potentially better game is coming along soon.

I'm right with this. I buy maybe two games a year -- knowing what there will be definitely helps.

That said...knowing this early just kills me.

Here's my day right now --

Get up, get online, check for anything new on TailFeathers and/or WHQ: ACG - nothing new at all -- have depressing morning. Lunch break -- check for anything new on TailFeathers and/or WHQ: ACG - nothing new at all -- have depressing afternoon. Evening --check for anything new on TailFeathers and/or WHQ: ACG - maybe one insignificant forum post gets my hopes up -- have depressing night, though go to bed dreaming about tomorrows possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I just wish their release dates were more accurate. This is listed as Q3.

Everyone knows there is no way this thing is out by the end of September. No way. I'll look for it just as Christmas shopping gets under way, middle-late November at the earliest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
NinjaGigolo wrote:
I just wish their release dates were more accurate. This is listed as Q3.

Everyone knows there is no way this thing is out by the end of September. No way. I'll look for it just as Christmas shopping gets under way, middle-late November at the earliest.

It went from being "In Development" to "At the Printer" over a week. Month and a half is actually a reasonable time frame from printing to shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they need to find a happy medium between FFG's 'Announce it a decade before it's actually a thing' and GW's 'We're going to keep this secret until the week before it comes out!'

Geosphere wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take back what I said. There hasn't been a preview article since Gencon! Come on FFG! Give us something! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, still checking every day for more preview materials, still crying myself to sleep at night.

C'mon FFG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think previews are few and far between when a game is a few months out. Somewhere around when it's on the boat and a month prior they start doing a lot more previews, and about a few weeks out they start doing weekly previews.

I think the previews are coming, patience is required though.

I'd love to see more myself though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.