Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which teacher do I recruit? Do I pick the student with higher scores, or the one that costs less money to teach? How do I recover from a surprise budget short fall, or worse a teacher scandal?

And after all of it, how will my kids do on the test?!?

These are the questions players have to face as they ensure that their school has the best test scores in the area, competing with other players to recruit the teachers able to handle the most students at a time, and draw in the best test takers.

The original idea for the game came after another round of Steamworks, an engine building game. I thought it might be fun to come up with an engine building game about balancing all the craziness that is the Modern Public Education model. How do we ensure that our kids do the best on the annual state tests?

As of now I've got a template deck I'm testing out and plan, if all goes well, to work towards open testing and eventually Kickstarter. Step by step though, step by step....

Or is it Test by Test?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] No School Left Behind: A Card Game of Test Scores - Updates and Log
I think I've settled on a design layout for teacher and student cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So semi-successful game test.

I was stymied by well played "Screw you cards" which the game almost feels like it swings too much on. I can be well into the lead in a given year only to be laid low by a well placed "It's going around" and find myself back at square one.

Perhaps that's more of a feature than a bug....

Also there are continuing issues with the math of the game. IT's meant to be casual yet there is still a lot of tallying up of "I have this much in testing". Dials, counters, markers, something has to come in to help buoy up the calculations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a not so successful play test the entire game has been revised, and the testing phase completely restructured. Now rather than adding up the test scores, you will draw from a test deck and see how long you survive.

I also have publicly available PDF's for the rules and the cards now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Vazquez
United States
Imperial
California
flag msg tools
MrOsterman wrote:
After a not so successful play test the entire game has been revised, and the testing phase completely restructured. Now rather than adding up the test scores, you will draw from a test deck and see how long you survive.

I also have publicly available PDF's for the rules and the cards now!

Link? I'm interested.

Also, we've all been there with ideas that were just too OP and too much math. Better to have all your ideas crammed into one unplayable mess and work from there then have something without substance, though. Sounds like you're on your way to something you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I thought I had the link in there!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwzHtQ4w__eJfnFlM2VhRVZ3Nl...

Yeah the more I've played the "new version" the more I love the feel of "oh god oh god can I pass this test?" that comes. It breaks a little from the "all kids will take the same test" that is how it works in the real world but it's got more of a fun feel to it.

And just (I think) the right level of chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another revision! Later today I'll be posting the updated card list and rules but the short form looks like this:

All the testing cards are gone and the test values are printed on the actual student and action cards. That eliminates a pile of cards from the table and lets the current deck serve a dual purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Pencils Down! -- A Card Game of Test Scores - Updates and Log
The game is back in Alpha testing with a new style of card design. I hope to post the PDF's of the cards by this weekend.

Also, name change!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also available now: Alpha Testing!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzHtQ4w__eJOHRJamxWXzZCZEU...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QSX3_eqC9-t55JfioJaKutVf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls