Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd. I didn't think this quest would be tough... until I have to admit the stats don't lie. I've tried it like five times. Always two handed. Last three in ez mode. I have yet to even flip the first quest!

Between the annoying side quests that just get you when you are doing just fine
To the enemies that actually hit pretty hard
To the shadow effects
And you do so much to try and fly through things during the day... just to get hit by wind, freezing rain, and whatever other weather stuff.

So far I've been trying a secrecy deck, and on the other side tactics, then i tried leadership, now im trying lore shenaginans using Rossiel...

General ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very, very tough. I needed 13 tries to beat it. I finally beat it with a stupid idea for a solo deck -- Eowyn, Dunhere and Spirit Merry, with a bunch of Tactics cards used via Song of Battle. But it worked! The idea was for Dunhere to bulk up with weapons and stomp stuff in the staging area, with Eowyn throwing her Willpower around and Merry for threat reduction.

You need a LOT of questing, a LOT of cancellation and a good amount of threat reduction. Also, the ability to whomp stuff in combat. It's a serious test of deck-building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently trying to get some staging area shenanigans, with traps, and I was using Faramir hoping his +1 per enemy could come to play... but then I need him for questing.

I have been thinking of a single solo deck... I just don't want to fall back onto the uber Gandalf/Elrond type deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
This may not be what you're looking for, but I recently defeated this scenario 2-handed with a Tactics deck and a trisphere Outlands deck (Leadership, Lore, Spirit).

Progress cannot be placed on the quest every round, making this a long scenario; I mainly went with Outlands for high willpower, and I used several card effects that reduce threat on the threat dials.

The Treachery card Cold from Angmar could have neutralised the Outlands characters. I used cards with healing effects, and early in the game the Tactics characters largely held off the enemies.

My Spirit hero was Galadriel. I will end by noting that Cold from Angmar wounded Galadriel and thereby incurred conditions that would allow her to go questing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
black spark wrote:
My Spirit hero was Galadriel. I will end by noting that Cold from Angmar wounded Galadriel and thereby incurred conditions that would allow her to go questing!

This is an excellent point. Using that condition to nullify negative parts of allies can be huge. For instance, with Gandalf, I would leave a wound on him so he could stick around for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, ended up beating it just now (%*$#% quest, seriously that long?)

Threat 49 at end
with the (lame?) uber deck: Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel

I pulled every shenaginan with all the gandalf tricks (okay, not his horse)... final strike was a Gandalf+Flame of Anor(boosted by Resourceful)+Elrond+Anarthiul for a one-hit kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you all remember to add the extra Encounter card every time you changed the card to the Night side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadArkive wrote:
Did you all remember to add the extra Encounter card every time you changed the card to the Night side?

Yep. It's possible I forgot once or twice on the first try, I guess. Overall, I find it easier to remember to deal the extra encounter card for that than, say, removing all the Time counters on some quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
It's very, very tough. I needed 13 tries to beat it. I finally beat it with a stupid idea for a solo deck -- Eowyn, Dunhere and Spirit Merry, with a bunch of Tactics cards used via Song of Battle. But it worked! The idea was for Dunhere to bulk up with weapons and stomp stuff in the staging area, with Eowyn throwing her Willpower around and Merry for threat reduction.

You need a LOT of questing, a LOT of cancellation and a good amount of threat reduction. Also, the ability to whomp stuff in combat. It's a serious test of deck-building.

13. I think I'm closer to thirty, as a single handed solo player. Getting pissed. I know I have a strong deck, but it seems either I get a shit draw or I get absolutely worked by when revealed effects. "Flip to night and raise threat by 4" when I quested for 14 first round. Awesome.

Also, I love how you will face at minimum three two wargs at the beginning of quest three. You add the pack leader. You flip to night which causes you to reveal a card. You discard until you add x = players x - 1 = players of wargs to the staging area. Pack leader causes at minimum one exhausted ally (one per engaged warg).

So for the last encounter you better have your threat really low (unlikely), or have a ton of allies in play. Also unlikely since quest two requires you to discard allies every night phase and takes 15 quest points. I haven't been this irritated since trying to beat nin in eilph or whatever.

This encounter throws EVERYTHING at you. Big locations. Big hitting enemies. Shadow effects that run from harmless to devastating. When Revealed cards that are truly brutal. Skyrocketing threat. Big questing. And cards that alter the game state. You can't deckbuild for everything, and you're not going to have in hand what you need even if you do.

Ok. End rant. Just had to get that out.

I'm trying to stick to a ranger Rohan deck after my ranger silvan deck got worked over. I think a dwarf deck would kick this things butt, but I'm sick of using them. I'm nearly ready to try it. Glad I'm not the only one having trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally gave in and looked into decks online. Finally got a victory using this deck (which is amazing).

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/thelordoftherings/the-lo...

Finished with 21 threat and ended the game by dealing 22 damage to the Pack Leader. It also helps to have made proxies by scanning the original cards in and printing them out. 3 Unexpected Courage cards is quite a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Rodrigues
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
New to be player here (bought this pack on discount for future use)

So... what I get from the comments is that you are not going to win this with a thematic deck? Since it's from Lost Realm it would be fun to play through it using Dunedain and rangers and the likes.

As sson as you put Galadriel and Elrond on it... isn't it a bit out of character? And if that's so is it the "only" way to win?

Because I really love the themes, it won't give me that much satisfaction to win with a non-thematic deck...

Is it possible? For all other packs also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.