Subject: Limit to number of soldiers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Is there a limit to the number of soldiers you can have out at once? My wife was playing with an Elspeth deck, who creates 3 soldier tokens per turn (deck only comes with two soldier token cards!), and had six out at once before killing me off. We are new to the game so there must be some rules being broken here since it just seems overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Limit to number od soldiers
The only limits are|

Hand limit 7 at he end of your turn.
Only one land per turn.

The coolest thing about magic is that the card overrule the rules.

You can have a million tokens out at a time.

Elspeth is considered a very powerful card. If you are playing the dual decks you have ways to deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no limit. In fact, there are decks based on 'breaking' that mechanism to the nth degree. Can you say, "infinite tokens, soldiers, elves, etc."

https://youtu.be/06XD0tUGUnI

ps. Your wife has a devious mind, never let her play blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Thanks. We've only played it a couple of times so far, and each time one of us has started with a poor hand and equally poor first few turns that pretty much ruined the rest of the game. Hopefully on our third game we will get more balanced hands and be able to have a bit more fun.

I'm printing out a few more soldier cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
We've only played it a couple of times so far, and each time one of us has started with a poor hand and equally poor first few turns that pretty much ruined the rest of the game.
It is a card game and sometimes the cards just don't fall the way you'd like. However, with more experience you'll find that you have much more control over "bad hands" than you think you do now.

Are you playing Elspeth vs. Tezzeret?

Quote:
In casual games, people often just use cards from the graveyard turned face-down. Of course, this shouldn't be done if your decks pull/count cards from the graveyard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you are allowed a mulligan. Take your opening hand and shuffle it into your deck, then draw a new hand minus one card. You can do this as much as you like. For friendly games just let them redraw without a penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
It's Elspeth vs Kiora. Kiora has some pretty strong creatures, so even though she can't get off as many hits, when she does they are more significant. Since we only have one planeswalker per deck, it seems like that might be unbalancing the deck a litte, but with only a couple of games under our belts it is too early to tell. In any card game there are times when you just get unlucky for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the dual decks have been play tested a ton. And though they might now be exactly even, they are pretty well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Though they do often get influenced pretty heavily by drawing your planewalker if the opponent doesn't. Planewalkers warp games pretty quickly sometimes in any format of play.

But I've enjoyed the dozen or so duel decks I've tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
All of the dual decks have been play tested a ton. And though they might now be exactly even, they are pretty well balanced.

Balance also shifts with player skill level. The Duel decks are developed mostly by former pro players to have an equal match up. Often this means that between two beginners there will be a clear win percentage gap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

Some of the earlier ones seemed pretty spotty to me. Phyrexia vs. the Coalition in particular seems tilted towards one side, Phyrexia. The consistency in the mono black deck is hard to beat with a 5 color that can't have too much fancy fixing. With moderate skills (my play partner with that time was not quite a grinder at that point, and we're both basically lapsed now), it looks like the Coalition deck really needs a good draw to compete at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Loving you is like loving the dead
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Use dice on the tokens to indicate the number of soldiers there are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
I play competitive Magic quite a bit even if I am not very good. Even competitively, you would be perfectly fine with just 2 soldier tokens. You would put dice on top of them. Use one token to indicate how many soldiers are tapped and the other how many are not.

Let's say Elspeth made 3 soldiers last turn that are now tapped and attacking. Tap one soldier token and put a die showing a 3 on top of it and if one dies during combat, change the die to a 2. Second main phase, Elspeth makes 3 more soldiers. Put another die showing a 3 on the second soldier token indicating the sick and untapped ones.

It is really simple even if I can't make it sound that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Even competitively, you would be perfectly fine of just 2 soldier tokens. You would put dice in top of them.
For new players, it's helpful to have an actual card to represent each soldier because it's easier to show attacks and blocks. But yeah, once you can do that part in your head, there's little need for more than two cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls