Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Lehnardt
France
Benfeld
Alsace
flag msg tools
Hello,

i was told some new edition might come. Any infor regarding this?
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ
United States
California
flag msg tools
Do
badge
Not
mbmbmbmbmb
God I hope so. I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
From DG dispatch #29. Note that it says they're just considering it, it's not definitive and there's no release date.

"A thoroughly revised and expanded version of the West End 1985 edition led by Al Nofi (the original designer). A military, political, and economic simulation of the conflicts of the Roman Empire from the declining years of the old Republic in the last century before the modern era through the collapse of the Western Empire some six centuries later. The game includes more than forty scenarios, from the Mithridatic wars (88-63BC) through those of the Emperor Justinian and his general Belisarius in the 6th century, including several 'what if' situations. IR includes two maps, three counter sheets representing legions, fleets, generals, barbarian hordes, and more, a rule book with designer’s notes, and a scenario book with historical commentary."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was, shall we say, rather subdued when you led off with Decision Games. However my interest rose sharply on the mention of Al Nofi. But even if everything fell into place, and a few pigs took flight, if DG does do this I wouldn't expect before 2020 given their current schedule.

Still, despite all that, I can't help but be excited to think of a new version of IRII.

By the way, does anyone know if DG owns the rights to the game, or does Al Nofi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Chris,

DG is going forward on this. I have just completed the initial version of the redone map. It will be on 3 maps with enlarged hexes and larger unit counters than the original. I am now the developer and will be working closely with Al Nofi and will implement changes only if he approves (the only one I currently have in mind is to let certain leaders (Caesar for example) have advanced engineering abilities that will allow them to circumvallate as at Alesia. Played the game a few times and enjoyed it. Send input re IR to my email guys if you wish. <joeyoust@sbcglobal.net>

Joe Youst
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, that's great news, thank you. It sounds like DG is pushing forward with this in a good way. Having both you and Al Nofi working on this is most encouraging, my interest meter is now at max!

And my aging eyes definitely approve of the larger hexes and counters.

I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this and will be making a preorder once that becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Just talked to Al and Doc and counter art is progressing. We're gonna have the same counters (with new great artwork - so great I tell you) with some additions suggested by Al. New ruleset mastered in part by Flavio with Al's guidance. Should be no problems with this reprint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your news keeps getting better! Already getting the art together is great, as is the news that Flavio is on board as well. Looks like you already have my money for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
This reprint will not disappoint. We are even including holding boxes on the enlarged map so that players can actually place units on islands that are within a hex but separate from the mainland or other islands. No rule changes required, and it means clear indication of where you actually are in such a hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Hinterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of a sneak peak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Soon as we get some finalized artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alderin
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So excited! Just pre-ordered!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Here are some preliminary shots. Boundary colors may be changed and mountain hex sides are getting a dark hex side color band to delineate them better. All approved by Al.[IMG][/IMG]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Fuica
Spain
Getxo
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
An optional tactical board with its corresponding rules will be very welcome and will greatly enhance replayability as well as interest in this new edition. The fact that all will come down to a throw of dice on a CRT with no significant die roll modifiers is very dissapointing. Or battle resolution following the GMT Ancient world system might also do.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Martin. I owned the original Imperium Romanum, and combat resolution was one of the biggest faults. I realize that Imperium Romanum II improved on things, but it is still a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeeepguy ZJ
msg tools
mbmb
Any word on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
In play testing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any cool things to report?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Im working on adding an optional combat system that will include reserves, pre battle morale and routs, etc. More later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dreher
United States
Saint Paul
MN
flag msg tools
mb
I pulled out Imperium Romanum II after many years to give it a go. Imagine my surprise when I saw that DGs was pursuing a IRIII!!

Good to know its in the playtesting phases now. Any word on when it might get released? I see DG is now accepting orders. Thanks for any insights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
We start over the horizon play testing soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyoust wrote:
We start over the horizon play testing soon.

What does 'over the horizon' mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
It means they play test without the developer or designer being present and without any company presence other than to answer questions in weekly reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyoust wrote:
It means they play test without the developer or designer being present and without any company presence other than to answer questions in weekly reports.

Ahh okay great, thank you for the explanation I had never seen that term used in this context before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyoust wrote:
Just talked to Al and Doc and counter art is progressing. We're gonna have the same counters (with new great artwork - so great I tell you) with some additions suggested by Al. New ruleset mastered in part by Flavio with Al's guidance. Should be no problems with this reprint!

So other than cosmetic improvements, how have the rules mechanisms been updated?

How about a spreadsheet template for doing bookkeeping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls