Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put this under strategy more as a place to discuss how to handle certain decisions that you need to take for the 'bots.

To get started here are some observations from my game tonight.

1) It seems really hard to get the USSR to declare war on Japan. The Churchill and Roosevelt bots ended up fighting over it as a random issue in my conference. As neither one has any caveats regarding it both used it to try and win the conference. In my game FDR won that issue denying my Soviets entry, but also won the USSR mandated offensive which he then placed in Manchuria. Bit of a dick move their Mr President!

2) When working out the relative strength of each card when picking issues I came across the subset of staff cards that refer to their own countries production or offensive markers. I ignored these attributes when selecting issues. I couldn’t see any reason why the UK would put the UK production issue on the table so skipped it.

Interested to hear others ideas and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
I've put this under strategy more as a place to discuss how to handle certain decisions that you need to take for the 'bots.

1) It seems really hard to get the USSR to declare war on Japan. The Churchill and Roosevelt bots ended up fighting over it as a random issue in my conference. As neither one has any caveats regarding it both used it to try and win the conference. In my game FDR won that issue denying my Soviets entry, but also won the USSR mandated offensive which he then placed in Manchuria. Bit of a dick move their Mr President!

2) When working out the relative strength of each card when picking issues I came across the subset of staff cards that refer to their own countries production or offensive markers. I ignored these attributes when selecting issues. I couldn’t see any reason why the UK would put the UK production issue on the table so skipped it.

Interested to hear others ideas and suggestions.

If I understand your number 1 you were playing Stalin and the two Western Allies fought over the USSR declares war on Japan conditional issue. As I see it this would occur based on type and location of the other issues and the staff cards you are holding.

As there is no staff card with an attribute for the USSR conditional issue it should not be the 'Bots first choice, but this can happen and is quite interesting that it did. I can imagine the Western Allies arguing over whether they really needed the Soviets in the Pacific War. An interesting outcome to be sure.

2. Now I have to say that various people have posted that there is no reason to pick your own directed offensive or production issues. I actually do not agree with this as an ironclad rule especially when I am playing the US where there are combinations of cards that advantage me to win my own issue, which can aid in winning a conference. So, give the 'Bot what it wants and see what happens. If the 'Bot has the cards to win its own production or DO issue, it may draw cards out of the other two sides diluting their ability to play on other issues.

Just some thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:

1) It seems really hard to get the USSR to declare war on Japan.

I have been playing Churchill with Roosevelt and Stalin Bots. While USA seems eager to open the second front, Stalin is not so eager to wage war on Japan. Curious why the Stalin bot does not have a priority of choosing war on Japan when he needs this to advance past Manchuria?

I also wonder about the chief of staff card, is it regarded as a higher card than a 5 value card? It matters for the bot and it may end up being a low value of course. I play it as a high value card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
RAVENBURG wrote:

1) It seems really hard to get the USSR to declare war on Japan.

I have been playing Churchill with Roosevelt and Stalin Bots. While USA seems eager to open the second front, Stalin is not so eager to wage war on Japan. Curious why the Stalin bot does not have a priority of choosing war on Japan when he needs this to advance past Manchuria?

I also wonder about the chief of staff card, is it regarded as a higher card than a 5 value card? It matters for the bot and it may end up being a low value of course. I play it as a high value card.

1 value + attribute
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:

1 value + attribute