Subject: Historical notes included? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Houliston
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am contemplating a purchase of this game. I am curious if there is much in the way of historical notes included in the game? If so, how thorough/deep is the information? This is an area of history I'd like to know more about. Having some accompanying narrative would help me understand the time period better, ergo, enjoy the game more.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are some historical background notes and designer notes scattered throughout the rulebook. It is a great way to get a surface understand of the period and the decisions Berg made to implement the period feel.

I suggest downloading the PDF of the rules here:

http://www.gmtgames.com/genesis/Genesis_Rules_FINAL.pdf

I also highly suggest Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts. There are two in particular that would be of interest as it relates to Genesis: "Darkness Buries the Bronze Age" and "Judgement at Nineveh". If you have never heard a Hardcore History podcast you will be in for a real treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Houlie wrote:
Am contemplating a purchase of this game. I am curious if there is much in the way of historical notes included in the game? If so, how thorough/deep is the information? This is an area of history I'd like to know more about. Having some accompanying narrative would help me understand the time period better, ergo, enjoy the game more.

Thanks in advance.

I always enjoy reading Berg's rulesets and playbooks. He's a very conversational writer, though that can turn to the annoying and indulgent. Still, I prefer the passion for the subject matter rather than the alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say nothing substantive, as compared to other GMT titles such as Conquest of Paradise. There is a small bibliography. I was a little disappointed by the lack of historical notes - but the game itself looks fabulous. Think of the history as baked into the game for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Zeigler
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
The game is actually a little less historical than you might think. The "historical king lists" don't reflect the chronology all that closely, and there are some important details about Egypt and the Mitanni in particular that aren't reflected well in the game.

Largely I suspect that's for balance and playability - the game works better as a game because it's not strictly historical. The interestingly balanced five-power situation suggested by the game setup didn't really occur except for a fairly brief period in the late fourteenth and early thirteenth centuries BCE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls