Subject: Istanbul or Voyages of Marco Polo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask in this thread or in Geek Mail and you'll be given 30GG for an Avatar.
badge
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a light/medium Euro that plays well with two players, but will do nice things at higher counts. Two player game should be less than an hour. Simpler rules and easy scoring are a bonus.

I thought I had narrowed it down to The Voyages of Marco Polo, but Istanbul recently caught my eye.

Is one more fun than the other? Do you have a better light/medium euro at which I should be looking?

Thank you for your input.

Edit: Weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Voyages of Marco Polo has a weight of 3.2 so I wouldn't consider it light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Istanbul and actually only played with 2 so far. I think it plays great with 2 and games go by really quick. Rules are very easy and scoring is extremely easy. Actually, there really is no scoring. In a 2 player game, it's just a race to get to 6 gems first (5 gems in 3-5 player games). From what I know about the 2 games,Istanbul is definitely the lighter of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Marks
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
They are both great. I think Istanbul is lighter than Voyages and plays well with 2 players. Even my non-Euro liking wife will play Istanbul with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I would get Marco Polo. The mechanics are pretty simple to learn but there is more to the game. Both are fine games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games and they are excellent in their own right. The Voyages of Marco Polo is 2-4 vs Istanbul which is 2-5. Istanbul is lighter, easier to teach/pick up, but surprisingly meaty. It's a pickup a deliver game with a hint of worker placement ( pay to use the same tile) Marco Polo is heavier, medium weight, deeper, dice placement game with more tension, and more to think about.

I really enjoy both but will more often reach for Marco Polo. My family prefers Istanbul.

Great picks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Jones
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask in this thread or in Geek Mail and you'll be given 30GG for an Avatar.
badge
You are who you choose to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. I just ordered Istanbul with The Voyages of Marco Polo set as a Christmas gift for myself.

I should have known the answer is "both".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls